Winnebago-Basement Air - Amps - Question?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay - glad we're on the same diagram.  The A/C circuit label on the breaker box doesn't jive with the diagram - it might be the same label for the 30 amp or 50 amp coach.  Compressor #2 does NOT feed from your breaker panel assuming the diagram is correct.

Unplug from shore power and make your measurements.  I'm wondering if the transfer switch is actually switching from shore to gen set (generator should have first priority.)

Also meter at the basement air electrical box where the 12/2 cable feeds in.

Thanks, John.
I realized that the diagram didn't seem to match my actual box early on.....so I ran the 'test' to verify that the 3rd breaker DID affect the 2nd compressor (as the Breaker Box Label indicates).
That still didn't compromise the electrical checks that I made.  Those checks needed to be made to ensure that the gen was working and that the current was going to where it was supposed to go.

Anyway, we have checked everything that can be easily checked, so I will give the Winnie people a call tomorrow and see what they say.
I'll post later on.
Thanks,
Paul

Paul, I think I had the exact same system as you do. Mine had 50Amp as an option. I changed mine over to 50Amp with just a new breaker, a few feet of wire and a new 50Amp power cord.. Mine was really easy, don't know about yours without seeing where everything is located. Now I can run everything I have at the same time including Washer/dryer.

Jerry

John Canfield said:
Okay - glad we're on the same diagram.  The A/C circuit label on the breaker box doesn't jive with the diagram - it might be the same label for the 30 amp or 50 amp coach.  Compressor #2 does NOT feed from your breaker panel assuming the diagram is correct.

Unplug from shore power and make your measurements.  I'm wondering if the transfer switch is actually switching from shore to gen set (generator should have first priority.)

Also meter at the basement air electrical box where the 12/2 cable feeds in.

John, don't know much about Winnies wiring per se, and haven't seen the diagram, but could it be that on shore power the feed for AC-2 comes from the breaker panel, but upon transfer to generator it switches the feed and uses the circuit breaker on the generator? If so, this would most likely make the issue at the generator circuit breaker or at the transfer switch....Just throwin' it out there.

John,
Review my previous posts.
Compressor #2 does kick in on 30a shore power.
I documented this by monitoring the load as well as shutting off then on the A/C #2 breaker.
Also, on 30a shore power, the shedding sequence contains A/C #2 as one of the devices to shut down.

We'll get this thing figured out soon.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Regards,
Paul

John, I just got off of the phone with Winnie CS.
First, I would like to thank you for all of your time and recommendations.  Because of your efforts, I was able to talk intelligently to the  Winnie Rep with the knowledge of what was going on.

Now, the result:  NOTE:  This refers to a 30a shore line, NOT a 50a.
According to Winnie;

On Shore Power, the 2nd compressor DOES go through the Main Breaker Panel (recall A/C Circuit #2 breaker).
This is why I was able to 'turn the 2nd compressor off' using the breaker.
And, the EMS sees this load and it is shown as an amp draw on the Load readout.  Hence, the jump in amps when the 2nd compressor kicks in.

On Gen Power, the 2nd compressor is NOT SEEN by the EMS, thus the amp draw is not detected by the Load Center.  As the wiring diagram shows, the 2nd compressor is wired direct from the Transfer Switch. So, It DOES NOT go through the EMS.
Hence, you will NOT see the amp draw on the readout.

So, how does this difference in wiring routes occur?

Winnie tells me that this is all sensed and taken care of in the Transfer Switch (need to look at the detailed wiring of the Transfer Switch to understand this) .  This Transfer Switch knows when you are on shore power and directs the current through the Main Panel which contains the "Loop Sensor (amprobe)" that sends the signal to the EMS Load Readout (amps).
Hence, you will 'see'' both amp loads when each compressor kicks in.

When on Gen Power, this 2nd Compressor circuit is direct wired to the compressor and not seen by the Loop Sensor. Hence, NO signal for the 2nd compressor amp load is detected and cannot be sent to the Load readout.  You will see only the amp load from Compressor #1.

I think I finally understand this set-up!!!

I hope this is a help for all of those that contributed to this Topic. 
Thanks for all of your replies.

Regards,
Paul

winnie32v said:
.....So, how does this difference in wiring routes occur?

Winnie tells me that this is all sensed and taken care of in the Transfer Switch (need to look at the detailed wiring of the Transfer Switch to understand this) . ...

And that Paul is the missing link.  Winnie's diagram of the transfer switch does not indicate the logic (simple logic) of what they described to you.  Let us know if you get the original problem figured out (actually I forgot what the problem was  ::).)

John Canfield said:
And that Paul is the missing link.  Winnie's diagram of the transfer switch does not indicate the logic (simple logic) of what they described to you.  Let us know if you get the original problem figured out (actually I forgot what the problem was  ::).)

Original Problem: SOLVED
Education:  Greatly Increased
Information Passed on to Fellow RV'rs: Much!!!
Again, the Forum Benefits.

Regards,
Paul

Yup, I had forgotten about that too. When I changed mine over to 50Amo, I had to reroute the #2 compressor wire from the transfer switch back to the breaker panel, just took a short length of 12/2 wire.

Jerry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriRv
Back
Top Bottom