Winnebago surface rust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DF2448

I have a 2004 Adventurer 39R that is showing surface rust around the compartments. Winnebago says this is not supose to happen but no no can explain why and what can be done to stop it.

Any thoughts?

Salt exposure from oceanside camping or perhaps use on northern roads in the winter?  Unlike autos, RVs generally have little is the way of corrosion protection.

Electrolysis is another possibility - fumes from batteries (overcharging) is another. Hard to say without seeing the overall pattern of rust.

I understand the road salt and ocean air but that is not the case. I bought this unit new and the rust keeps getting worse around the outer face of the compartments. It is only visible when the doors are open; it is not on the exterior. I am trying to find out if other owners have experienced this problem and what Winnebago has done about it if anything.

It's not uncommon for a new motorhome to leave the factory in the dead of winter, drive through icy salted roads on the way to the dealer, and never be properly washed after arriving at the dealer.  I've watched the Winnebago forum for several years and other than rust caused by the salty drive mentioned above, I haven't seen a lot of reference to rusting.

Hi, my Winne Adventurer 37, 2001, has what sounds like the same fault as you are describing here---if what you mean is that the matt black metal panelling round the storage bins is rusting. Can't see a thing with the doors closed, but rusty where the panels meet and along the lower borders,-- is that it?
I have also seen the same thing on a Winne Ad of about the same age that I looked at before buying this vehicle second hand. My vehicle was not used at the seaside, and certainly not in the far north. (ps in case you are wondering, you don't see RVs on the road in Canada in winter conditions, except to go south, that is.)

This problem initially perturbed me a bit, but really it's just a cosmetic problem. I'm either going to get a body shop to treat it, or do it myself. I called Winnebago about it but they seemed not to have heard of such a problem before. However, I didn't really expect them to address such a problem in a seven year old vehicle, though rusting in a four year old seems rather harsh.

Maybe there is a case for polling Winne owners with a view to pressuring Winnebago to fix this, though perhaps that is a naive idea. They do carry those metal panels in stock or can make them for you, but I'd much rather they put them on and didn't send a bill !! :))
Rankjo

First thing I'd so is buy a can of "Rust Off" spray or similar product, that converts the rust into black primer.  If it is an isolated problem (i.e. rig is no longer exposed to the rust-causing condition), at least "killing" the rust that's currently there will keep it from spreading.

Re "Rust Off", the problem isn't as simple as that, at least on my 2001 model.

These panels basically support the outboard ends of the storage bins and keep road spray and dirt under the vehicle. The lower end of the panel is bent at a right angle to provide strength and rigidity to the lower free border of the panel. Winnebago has attached a half round to this 'right angle' part and used screws every 8 inches or so so hold it on.

What exactly the function of this plastic part is I'm not sure, since it doesn't seem to add much extra rigidity, and the only thing I can think is that it saves your head if you are crawling around on the ground under the vehicle, which owners don't do very much.

Anyway, the rust seems to start at each screwhole in the metal where it is attached, as well as where each metal panel meets the next one. To compound the screw problem, it isn't easy to get at the screwheads to back them out.

So it is the kind of irritating problem that is very timeconsuming for an amateur to do, (and I have done a fair bit of rustwork in the past) and might be better to let a professional rip and tear at it with industrial tools. Some corners of mine are not recoverable, but could be simply cut off and the cut edge painted over.

Or I could ignore it till it's really bad then let Winnebago replace the panels.
Rankjo

Back
Top Bottom