Winter camping advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billghon

I recently purchased an intek Horizon Sol trailer. How cold of temperatures will this trailer be fully functional? Will I be able to take showers and use the kitchen sink on very cold winter nights? If not what do I need to do to adapt it to cold-weather camping? In ski areas the lows get down to 10 or 15 degrees in the West and highs of 20 to 2 38 degrees. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Welcome to the RVForum Billghon, and congratulations on your new RV! RVs are not well suited for extended periods in sub zero temps. I don't know how well Intek RVs are insulated, but I didn't see anything on their website about special cold weather packages.

When camping in temps that are regularly below freezing, it's important to ensure that water lines and fittings behind cabinets and under the floor don't freeze. The water lines and holding tanks themselves can usually handle it, but fittings/joints can break when they freeze.

A lot of people use heat tape and/or strategically placed 100 watt light bulbs in exposed areas, to keep the temps above freezing. Of course, that means you're going to have to be plugged into shore power, or generator power, so keep that in mind.

Kev

Plus 1 with above..............add solar to keep batteries charged and think about 6-volt for more amperage for the times when you won't (can't) be plugged in...........add insulation to your lower storage areas and especially under the plumbing runs.......

In freezing weather, you'll either need to disconnect the water line or use a good quality heat tape. You should cover the roof vents from inside with foam inserts (mine are made by Camco). Also, open the cabinet doors under the kitchen and bath sinks when it gets in the 20's or lower. When it gets below 20 degrees, you should add RV antifreeze to the black and gray tanks. RV's have a large window area compared to a sticks and bricks house. So, it's a good idea to cover the windows with plastic in the winter. Also, expect to use an obscene amount of propane for heating. However, if you have an electric hookup, electric space heaters will help.

I live full time in my travel trailer. However, the areas where I camp in the winter usually are not that cold in the winter. Sometimes in the teens. So, I'm very comfortable in my TT. I hope this helps.

Billghon, If you could give us a few more details on your particular unit....we may be able to be more specific in our help. Example: Do you have ?fully enclosed?, ducted heat to the tank, water line, and sewer line areas? If so, are the sewer line dump valves located in this enclosed, heated area? Will you be boondocking? Some good ?generic? answers have been given. But, with a little more info.....perhaps we can give better detailed info!  memtb

We used to spend our winters RVing in ski areas.  Good advice above.  You also need to insulate the sewer hose if you leave it hooked up..  We usually kept both water and sewer hoses disconnected.  We would hook up the hoses to empty the holding tanks and fill the fresh water tank at the warmest time of the day, then disconnect them again.

If you have a propane refrigerator,  you need to "heat" it in single digit temperatures.  You can do that by taping up the vents or by putting a light bulb in the vent compartment.

Jeannine

Back
Top Bottom