Winter Freezeout at Tahquamenan Falls SP, Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

At the RV Lifestyle Winter Freeze-out Rally at the Falls. Only real snow we have seen so far this winter. Great to see it (ignore this snow birds). I winterized our PW Ontour 2.2 in 2021 and so far it has been great. Hot and cold running water and a flushing toilet. The min. temp. at the freeze-out was ~17f and all has been working fine. If we get to cold we have a comfortable RV to lounge in.

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 17
  • 30.JPG
    30.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 18
  • 32.JPG
    32.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 20
  • 34.JPG
    34.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 18
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 40.JPG
    40.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 14
Hi Len and Jo, All,

When ever I see your posts, I wish I was there with you half the time. Have fun (know you are) and do stay warm but that is what your home away from home is for!

I moved 500 miles to get away from snow and ice. But we get a little snow here every 2-3 years so I'm thinking about moving another 500 miles.

My offer for free snow still stands for Michigan.

327 AM MST Sat Jan 6 2024

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING
TO 8 AM MST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 14 inches."

Last edited:
My offer for free snow still stands for Michigan.

327 AM MST Sat Jan 6 2024

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING
TO 8 AM MST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 14 inches."
Where is it, we haven't got it yet?

Where is it, we haven't got it yet?
When I wrote that forecast back on Saturday morning and into the afternoon I was sitting at the Lynchburg, Virginia Airport awaiting my flight back home. Was able to get a flight out on Sunday at 3 PM even though the skies were quite blue, yet still the flights even that Sunday morning were being canceled due to weather. The Virginia State Govenor had declared a travel emergency. Snow plows were out in force on the highways with their blades up. All my flights out were canceled until later Sunday at 3 PM EST. Nothing happened. No snow at all. It was all a big joke to me the entire over reaction back east.

Arrived into Grand Junction, Colorado at 9:30 PM MST Sunday. No snow there as I had expected. It's high desert. Got home in the Rockies with driving our Power Wagon at around 11 PM in 4 wheel drive. Had to engage the front and rear locking differentials. The only other vehicle coming by in the opposite direction was a snowplow truck working late with its blade down. Just heard one go by plowing snow this morning. If I learned one thing on this trip home is that it's best to keep our nearly 2 feet of fresh powder snow here.

Screenshot_20240108_071242_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Hope you all had plenty of antifreeze.
Not needed until I get home. I added heaters to our class B. It is now a truly 4 season rig. The heaters and insulation keep the tanks, drain pipes good down to at least 10f (our coldest camping weather yet). Our B also has Truma water heater and furnace that are excellent German designs and work great. The above trip was 4.5 days and consumed about 6 gallons of propane. Water heater (set to 120f) and furnace (70f days, 55f over night) were on all the time while camping.

Last edited:
Does Michigan get sunny in winter? I walked out to our Outdoors RV TT in bright sunshine this morning at 3F. Our TT inside hasn't had the heat on for weeks. With the sunshine it was already 32F inside of it. Sure makes a difference in warmth.

That's an interesting burn barrel you have. Did you bring that or was it something the park provided?
"Burn barrel"? If you are referring to the fire pit it is provided at all Michigan State Park campsites. Typical construction is double steel ring with gravel in-between with some having a cement cap. Safer for kids.

Is this a planned event? I may be inclined to attend next year with some notice.
The people who run the "RV Lifestyle" forum has organized this event for about 8 years now. It is held the first weekend in January. They has a sub-forum (?) for people who attend.

That is a beautiful part of the country. I've stayed at the Lower Falls State park a few times. And of course visited the upper falls... I'd like to spend more time there but alas. Not alone and No RV any more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom