Winterizing...every 2 to 3 weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use my RV more in the winter for ski resorts, than in the hot summer. I've been using a little Aliner pop up. Has a water pump for sink and outside shower and no tanks. Used a lugaloo and urinal.

My new rig is a Northstar TC with cassette toilet, shower and gray tank...now I'm a high class RV'er.

For the last 6 years or so, I have winterized Aliner by running water pump dry and draining the water tank. No antifreeze, have had no problems with this method. Aliner has no sink trap either.

For my TC I am hoping to get away with the same procedure, except put antifreeze in the traps. I also plan to buy a 'blow out' adapter to install in the city water inlet to blow the lines out with compressed air.

Have any of you had long term experience doing it this way?

I've had great success with this method with houses I've owned, but the houses didn't have a water pump.

It is not practical for me to keep pumping antifreeze through the lines and flushing it out every other week, So I need to perfect a system that is easy and practical for me.

Seems one can't get reliable advice from many RV dealers on the subject either. Mine said he won't even recommend using an RV in the winter. He said I had to remove battery or it will freeze and on and on. But from talking with him further, I can see he is paranoid of being sued.

Thanks

It sounds to me like a good plan, but I would see how easily the pump can be removed and re-installed.

Most pump housings are plastic and any residual water trapped inside the pump *could* fracture the plastic.
I'm in the habit of removing mine and storing it in the basement.

Other than that, I've been blowing out my lines or about 10 years with no issues (Class C RV).

Joe

Blowing out the lines works fine, but you do need to watch out for residual water in the pump. Running it dry usually works, but it depends on the layout of the system. There may be an inlet filter on the pump as well, and that can hold water too.

The battery won't freeze if it is charged, but a discharged battery can freeze. Keep it plugged in, or a trickle charger on it when not in use.

1joester2 said:
It sounds to me like a good plan, but I would see how easily the pump can be removed and re-installed.

Most pump housings are plastic and any residual water trapped inside the pump *could* fracture the plastic.
I'm in the habit of removing mine and storing it in the basement.

Other than that, I've been blowing out my lines or about 10 years with no issues (Class C RV).

Joe

Wow, your very cautious with your pumps!

Yep, the pumps are the iffy part of it.

Hey slackercruster-sorry I can't help answer your question, but I have a few for you (and anyone else with winter TT experience) if you don't mind  ;)
I am looking to go full time in a TT (will be almost permanently parked on a vacant lot until I build a cabin), including the winter in Colorado, up in the rockies at nearly 10,000ft. I spoke with a salesman today who would not even recommend/show me a 3 season TT because he said I would freeze unless I had a 4 season TT. Since you seem to have winter rving experience, is it still possible to live in a 3 seasonTT (3-4days/week) during the winter and still be relatively comfortable? Any major problems with lines freezing?
...I'm a newbie and shopping for TTrailers, but I had no idea there were 3 & 4 season TTrailers...
Thanks in advance...

rokeesrv , depends on what you feel is comfortable?

I used to cold camp with my old Aliner winterized. I did not run water in it.

A 4 season unit has the pipes in a heated basement. Or as my TC has, the water tank and pipes inside where you can heat em. But the gray tank is not winterized and would have to be dumped after using it soon or it would freeze. I got a cassette toilet now and can add antifreeze to it.

I've never used a (large) TT, so am just guessing as I don't know how they are built. If your floor is plain ply, then insulate it with foam 1 - 2 inches. You can put reflectix on the windows or bubble wrap. Insulate your vents.

I only have experience in an old mini 3 season Aliner. It was SUPER leaky as hell (cold air) Condensate would freeze inside cause it was so cold and the windows and floor were not insulated. As the condensate would melt for breakfast it would rain for 1/2 an hour inside. 

If you used a lugaloo and urinal and washed you hands with a gallon water jug, you can do it. Just shower at a gym or someplace else. When I did it, I showered at the ski resort.

Look, the injuns used to sleep year round in wigwams, so modern day man is kinda wussified compared to the old timers. So, depending on how tough you are, I think you can get by. Once in your new place, you will really appreciate it after roughing it.

One thing, get back up heat that does not need electric. The blower furnace I had was very undependable. Wav Cat 6 or 8 heater would be good for you. Uses hardly any propane

Let us know how it turns out!

Like you said, I think it just depends on what I think is comfortable...I've camped in a tent many times in winter ( I know about the rain inside...), and although cold-not a huge deal. I don't need to be in shorts and T-shirt inside while its snowing out. Sounds like anything is doable, I guess I just have to do it and survive-I guess I was just curious why the salesman was so adamant about not winter camping in a 3-season TT. I've read/heard many stories about trailers/5th with winter packages that have had lines/tanks freeze...
I appreciate your input, i'm sure it's possible with the right precautions.

If you did tent camping in the winter, your 3 season TT will feel like a palace.

I suspect you can get it to the 50 - 60's or so inside? My Aliner did not do good in winter because the floor was uninsulated 3/4 ply. And the biggest issue was the pop up sides had all the foam rotted out, so cold air came through the 3/4 inch gap all around the edges.

Just work your TT over, insulate the vents and floor, hatches etc.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24714539.cfm

Even 4 season units can't be left without the heat for long. So, if you going to leave it un heated for any amount of time, it has to be drained.

You may also look into a Thetford cassette toilet. I got it in my TC and like it. But used a lugaloo for years.

Back
Top Bottom