winterizing trick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OnaQwest said:
Chet, I let my taps open until they run as pink as they are going to get.  I assume this is sufficient to fill the traps in each drain.  As for the tanks, I know the danger in freezing water is the expansion involved and again, I assume (dangerous in it's self) that an inch or so of frozen water in a 45 to 100 gallon tank is NOT going to split it open.   

It's not the water in the tank you need to worry about, but that which is in the tank drain pipe and valve. I should have added that I make sure the tanks are totally empty, then add the anti-freeze to the sink and shower drains. I always use about 2-3 times the volume of the traps and assume that this is sufficient to prevent the liquid at the drain valves from freezing. It also keeps the seals moist.

Chet

I did have both tank drain valves open while adding the antifreeze.  I closed them prior to moving the coach to it's winter resting spot beside the house.  I think I'll go add enough to each trap to ensure a little reaches the dump valve seals.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diesel Boats
Back
Top Bottom