Woke up to 8 paramedics around my bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HueyPilotVN said:
I am very pleased that this almost post mortum post has turned into a ribbing session.  I really am.

It is much better to be kidding each other than being so serious.

The strangest thing has happened to me since the low blood sugar incident.

My blood sugar levels have been uncharistically low.  So low that I have on several occasions not had to take any insulin at all.  In the mornings even after not taking any insulin the night before I have had readings as low as 65.  It is almost like I got cured of the type II diabetes that I have had for the last 15 years or so.

Now I am not at all counting on that happening but I am very closely watching my blood sugar and it may be my poor appetite that has temporarily reduced my need for insulin.

Anyway thanks for the good wishes and I am glad this is not quite as negative of a thread anymore.
It was like going to an Irish wake, but without the Jameson!

HueyPilotVN said:
I am very pleased that this almost post mortum post has turned into a ribbing session.  I really am.

It is much better to be kidding each other than being so serious.

The strangest thing has happened to me since the low blood sugar incident.

My blood sugar levels have been uncharistically low.  So low that I have on several occasions not had to take any insulin at all.  In the mornings even after not taking any insulin the night before I have had readings as low as 65.  It is almost like I got cured of the type II diabetes that I have had for the last 15 years or so.

Now that's interesting, It is amazing how the body adapts and tries to correct itself. Mine corrected as I healed but I am amazed to think you could shock your system into correcting it, Hope this new adjustment last forever....

BTW did you diabetes get tied into your service in Vietnam and exposure to agent Orange ??

catblaster said:
Now that's interesting, It is amazing how the body adapts and tries to correct itself. Mine corrected as I healed but I am amazed to think you could shock your system into correcting it, Hope this new adjustment last forever....

BTW did you diabetes get tied into your service in Vietnam and exposure to agent Orange ??

Yes, It pretty much gives you a 30% rating,  The real surprise was a few years ago I got 100% without really even asking for it.  Ischemic Heart Disease was added to the list for Agent Orange.  They back dated it to my date of open heart surgery in 2003.  They sent me a tax free deposit of $196.016.00 and $3,200 a month tax free for life.  Traveling money for diesel.  and a kind of after the fact parade that we never got 45 years ago.  I do enjoy telling that story to any Viet Nam Vet.

Bill,

That is awesome!!! You are very blessed indeed.

Gil's story is different. We've had to fight them all the way to DC on appeal. They granted part of the claim and denied the rest. One of his friends in Montana was easily granted 100% for the very same condition we have been fighting for 7 years now to get approved sans success.

It seems to be easier to get approved in Montana!  I told him he ought to establish residency out there and try again.

Congratulations Bill !! I got 60% on the heart disease but fortunately no open heart instead 2 heart attacks and now up to 7 stents.  If they ever tie it to my lung transplant I might get 100%.

I agree, BLESSED. It sucks having disabilities but it sure is nice to have resources to take care of it. I can't imagine our situation without the VA. Even 5 years into my latest appeal.

Bill, my sister was an insulin-dependent Type II diabetic.  After her husband died and with the stress of dealing with selling their home and moving she lost probably 100 pounds and her need for insulin dropped drastically.  I'm not sure why but it eventually went back to previous levels so don't get too comfortable with the low levels.  You do need to keep checking it!  So far as I'm aware the only people who actually are cured of diabetes are people who lose a huge amount of weight through exercise and diet (think "Biggest Loser") or people who have Gastric Bypass Surgery.  My sister's son was almost ready to start taking insulin when he had the surgery and lost more than 100 pounds.  Overnight his high blood pressure and prediabetic conditions disappeared.

ArdraF

Bill was BLESSED to have survived open heart surgery and to have Renae close by when he went into a diabetic coma. He is BLESSED in that he is still with us.

He was also BLESSED to receive compensation for his health from the VA. 

That was the way it was meant, Tinman.

That's my assertion and I'm stickin' to it!

Regarding loosing weight and the need for additional insulin.

Yes. If you can loose weight often the insulin requirements will drop.. HOWEVER

Type 2s often make what SHOULD be more than enough insulin naturally.. And then some of us inject more.  The problem is that insulin has a very close relative, more a brother hormone than a kissing cousin (it's that close) HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE.. yes, Insulin is in the same class as HGH.  It promotes Growth.. (Weight gain).

Many times I have heard that "overweight puts you at risk for Type 2"  But the question is it a risk factor, or a symptom?  There are many who think it is a symptom.

Your insulin is not functioning as planned so your body produces more, so you gain weight, which increases insulin resistance, which means you produce still more, which means you gain more....

I'm not the originator of that theory... But the man who preseneted it to me (Do not know if it's his theory or not and no longer able to ask him) Was a Type 1.. Skinny as a pencil.  You see, his body produced NO insulin.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Praise Bus
Back
Top Bottom