Wood vs metal framed trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twins

hi iam looking to upgrade my camper. i am looking to trade in my kz 2809 bh 2005 for a sunnybrook 07 the kz was great but too small i have 6 kids. can anyone tell me what the difference is between a wood frame and alluminum frame. which is better?.  ::)thanks for the help

twins said:
...can anyone tell me what the difference is between a wood frame and alluminum frame. which is better?.

Gary already answered that question here. You might have missed his response.

personally,I would go with a alum. framed fiberglass sided trailer, easier to pull and maintain (clean) make sure the brand you look at is a crowed roof, I like the vinyl roofs also,  ether way you go it's all good   

I'm a woodworker.  I love wood.  But for structure nothing beats good old steel.  Aluminum is good for saving weight but the design details are more important to 'get it right' verse steel.  So: Steel, aluminum, red oak, wood.....in that order. ;D ;D ;D me thinks

If done correctly the Aluminum would be my choice.  However, they mix aluminum and steel in the assembly serious corrosion can result unless the manufacturer is knowledgable and careful in getting it right.

I know woods that make steel look...  Mild, However I agree, steel beams have an advantage, They can be fairly light weight.

That said.. I think my rig is a wood frame for the most part.. Steel reinforced however.

Working for an aircraft company for over 25 years I must say aluminum is definitely way go. ;) Can't beat the strength to weight ratio of a 7075-T7, or even 6061-T6 (wieldable) structure aluminum that is used in most campers today. Steel and aluminum coexist (corrosion possibility) only if manufacturer took appropriate steps and expense to process those materials correctly. 8)

If I recall there was one RV manufacturer that didn't take the right precautions when they used steel fram work and aluminum on the sides.  Guess it wasn't uncommon to find corrosion around the rivit heads.

My Father's 2007 KZ Spree (29ft) has aluminum framing and it seems to be quite stronger then his last wood framed trailers.

I vote for aluminum.  When we were considering upgrading a few years back, a pretty smart man asked Mr. Aphrodite this question, and I couldn't help but remember it, "Would you drive a wood frame car or travel on wood spoke wheels?"

mighty aphrodite said:
I vote for aluminum.  When we were considering upgrading a few years back, a pretty smart man asked Mr. Aphrodite this question, and I couldn't help but remember it, "Would you drive a wood frame car or travel on wood spoke wheels?"

That would be the Morgan.   From Wikipedia:

In 2000, the Morgan Aero 8 was introduced and, as always, the wooden body substructure was ash. (Contrary to popular myth, however, the chassis is metal; aluminium for the Aero 8). The Aero 8, with a BMW V8 engine in a car half the weight of the BMW, is even faster than the Plus 8, delivering what Autoweek magazine termed supercar performance. The newest Aero 8 (Ser. IV) puts out 367HP @6100 rpm giving it a top speed of over 170 mph. Due to the Aero 8's light weight it can do 0-62 in 4.5 seconds.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Motor_Company

The old gag was, "Change the oil, rotate the tires, and inspect for termites."    ;D

Don?t forget the British WWII Mosquito aeroplane :) :)

http://www.aviation-history.com/dehavilland/mosquito.html

Wood works IF done well .... and you can keep the bugs and water out.

You guys forgot the Spruce Goose airplane? it was heavy but it was proven to fly.

I believe the engineers that designed the plain came up with a treated wood called Durabond or Duramold, something like that. And back then it was proven to be stronger and lighter than aluminum.

twins said:
hi iam looking to upgrade my camper. i am looking to trade in my kz 2809 bh 2005 for a sunnybrook 07 the kz was great but too small i have 6 kids. can anyone tell me what the difference is between a wood frame and alluminum frame. which is better?.  ::)thanks for the help

Alum Framed Bonded wall is the best, The down fall to wood framed coaches is the insulation used. It's batted and falls down slowly over time, So you end up with a gap on your top corners. Some feel Alum is allot lighter than wood, Not true, A little but not allot. Most mauf use Spruce wood which is great, But still wood, If you develop a leak, What is going to rot??? Your frame, Plus other things, With alum this is not a concern.
Some said they would prefer STEEL. There is NO manuf that uses Steel in their side wall, Only the chassis and roof trusses.
Alum coaches also have a lower center of gravity. There are many benefits to both. But the answer your question. There were just a few diffs.

Good luck...

We've got a 30 year old Airstream, 28 ft'er...it's in great shape and has been towed all over the place before we took 'custody' it...properly done, you just can't beat alum framing (and alum skin, as well) for longevity... ;D 

I believe some of the older AS's were built better than today's current models... 

We've replaced the axles on our AS so it has some 'spring' in it's step, so to speak, and gives it a like new, ride quality!

We have an old Class C MoHo with wood framing, bought it new in 78, and it's really 'tired' and loose in the joints - all that wood, put together on a production line back then, just doesn't stand up to time as does alum framing...

twins said:
hi  i am looking to upgrade my camper. i am looking to trade in my kz 2809 bh 2005 for a sunnybrook 07 the kz was great but too small i have 6 kids. can anyone tell me what the difference is between a wood frame and aluminum frame. which is better?.  ::)thanks for the help

Kz and sunnybrook are both excellent manufactures. The aluminum is lighter and wood is less likely to delaminate. As long as the wood frame has a fiberglass finish (not metal) wood is fine.

All trailers will leak no matter who builds them. Wooden frame that gets wet stays wet.wet wood rots. Buy the sunnybrook smooth side... all aluminum framing with a steel frame. Check all caulking!!! lights, markers, roof, windows, doors and molding. look for mold and cracks on caulk.  look for grey on linoleum floors if you got grey floors you got leaks. if you have leaks you have rot.I work on more trailers due to water infiltration than i do anything else.I have never had to remove and replace aluminum framing but i have with wood frame count on it being removed once water gets to it.By the time you notice a leak your wooden frame has been decomposing.
The certech.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom