Workhorse W22 ABS Code Reader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

I need to diagnose an ABS warning light on condition.

Anyone know if a code reader such as this will read the codes on a 2004 Workhorse W22?

https://www.harborfreight.com/ZR11-OBD2-Code-Reader-with-ABS-63807.html

Thanks, Tom

I own that scanner in link and I?m betting it would. A friend owns a W22 and was going to borrow my scanner for a abs warning light if cleaning sensors didn?t shut off light. I haven?t heard back from him so I guess he fixed it.

I would agree, should work, couldn't think of any reason it wouldn't.  Maybe ask Harbor Freight what their return policy is?

Thanks guys.

I cleaned the sensors and drove for several miles. The ABS light remained on. I don't know if it should reset itself if the problem is resolved nor how long it should take.

Afraid I've run out of suitable weather to trouble-shoot until I get to Arizona in January. Though with the 15" of snow we just got ABS could come in handy.

Tom

Usually if you erase the code and the problem is still there, it will come back on quickly.  If you are simply wanting to erase the code and see if you fixed the problem, I know with non-abs codes, they erase if you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and reconnect.  Might try that. 

If you can get back under and pull out the sensor again and with a flashlight look through the mounting bracket or spider at the exciter ring on the rotor itself , you may find that the teeth on the exciter ring are full of rust so that the sensor can't distinguish  the slots from the teeth. If this is the case replacing the exciter ring if it is a press on but more likely the entire rotor. On the bright side of a sad situation and you need rotors, fill the slots with high temperature silicone and spread it flush with the teeth and let dry for a day or so before installing new rotors.

I wondered if removing power would reset the code.
The exciter ring is visible through a couple of openings. I had the front wheels off ground and could spin the wheels. The ring has some rust and I was able to use a scraper to clean it up somewhat. I think the spaces were plenty open enough to provide a signal.

Thought about hitting it with a small sand blaster in place.

Ya, I know. But I run out of time and had to get it back to storage before the 15? snow hit.

Got called out of town and will get back to it asap

I'd get a bluetooth ODB II reader off Amazon and download a reader app. Much cheaper.
I'm using Torque Pro (Ian Hawkins) it works great. $4.95

I'd like to know, also.  I've got the Torque Lite app.  Shows a lot of parameters as well as codes, but since I used to do this for a living, there's more I'd like.
Please share what paying for the app gets you besides no ads.

I have the same W22 chassis and can tell you that the ABS error drove me nuts for a year.  I have a OBDII unit that I bought from Amazon that works with my phone, but it is totally useless for this issue.  Perhaps there is one that would work better,  but I imagine it would not be cheap. I bought 2 of the replacement ABS sensors and replaced two of these ( at random), cleaning and reseating the rest.  The ABS code went away after driving it a little while and I thought that I was a hero, but after about a month the code light was back on so I bought one more sensor and replaced a third one of my sensors which worked again for another month.  You may have guessed it... I bought a 4th sensor and replace the last one and it has been many months and a 4200 mile trip without the ABS code coming up once (hope I didn't just jinx myself here).

Yes, it is possible that cleaning will help by itself, or perhaps you have a chipped tooth on the wheel, but my guess is that you have the same crappy Hall effect sensors that I have dealt with and you will eventually buy new ones for about $80 each and replace them yourself, at least saving the shop fee for doing this trivial task.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom