Working out Staying in Shape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Patnsuzanne said:
Though not full timers, we do spend a lot of time traveling. We try to make it a point to stay at state parks, to other areas with good hiking trails either right there, or at least close at hand. If the terrain isn't too rough, we'll run the trails. If you are in a big campground, it's fun to run around every loop checking out all the different rigs and combinations. I quit lifting weights years ago but still do weight bearing exercises every day such as push-ups, squats, planks, etc. You can do things like that most anywhere with no special equipment needed. Many parks have exercise trails with workout stations along the way like chin-up bars. Inflatable balance balls and foam rollers don't take up any room and there are lots of things you can do with them as well. Larger city's will often have running stores that have weekly runs or at least maps of runner friendly routes. Even small towns will have high school stadiums and tracks that you could use after school hours. Even better if you could ride your bikes over from the campground, then get in some stadiums before riding back. There are lots of options out there.  Good luck!

Those are all good ideas. We would probably limit our travels to the western states so I'm doing research to find out if there
are any "regional" chain gyms that offer roaming memberships. I will keep everyone interested on what I find out.
Thanks Patnsuzanne

SeilerBird said:
The whole problem with working out is that as you age you naturally lose the ability to work out due to muscles receding and weight gain. I spent ten years full timing and for me my workouts consisted of walking or hiking five to ten miles per day. I was diagnosed with emphysema a few years ago and hiking more that a few miles in a day is no longer possible now that I am sneaking up on 70. I have always felt that walking is the very best exercise you can do. The human being was not designed to fly, swim, hop, skip, jump, crawl, run or any other form of locomotion other than walking so therefore I prefer to walk as much as possible.

I hear you sir. That why I'm really trying to still "use it or lose it". We do love walking and get in about 10 miles per day. I find it to
be great for overall stamina and weight control. Trying to keep it :)

butchiiii said:
Those are all good ideas. We would probably limit our travels to the western states so I'm doing research to find out if there
are any "regional" chain gyms that offer roaming memberships. I will keep everyone interested on what I find out.
Thanks Patnsuzanne

I've read a couple other articles talking about using Anytime Fitness or Planet Fitness.  Both having the ability to use them as a "roamer" - Anytime Fitness having more places but a higher monthly, Planet Fitness lower monthly but less places.

bghouse said:
I've read a couple other articles talking about using Anytime Fitness or Planet Fitness.  Both having the ability to use them as a "roamer" - Anytime Fitness having more places but a higher monthly, Planet Fitness lower monthly but less places.

Thanks Barbara. I was not aware of 2 you mentioned. I will check both out.  :)

The wife and I also work out regularly. All of the above are good ideas, but the key to any exercise program is consistency. Since we travel far and wide, the only answer was to have  our workout stuff with us. For me I carry a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells and a flat bench that folds up flat. Medical experts agree that cardio is important as we age, but so is doing weight bearing exercises to maintain bone density. I have a regular routine that encompases about 10 different lifts. Not overly heavy, just varied.  Kind of like the "Curves" workout system. 

I also need to maintain flexibility and do core work (IE situps) so an inflatable exercise ball is the hot ticket. It can also double as an extra outside chair or foot stool when we are just hanging out. The DW has some lighter weights, but likes additional activity in her workouts, so she has found a particular female workout instructor that makes workout DVD's.  She can do the routine while playing DVD on the rig's TV system, or on her laptop. 

We usually do weight workouts one day, then cardio the next. For variety we may jog together, brisk walk, or ride the folding bikes.  I used to have regular bikes, but riding them all over the country while strapped on the back of the Jeep pretty much kills them in a few years. The folding ones ride in the back of the Jeep and are still like new every time they are used. Then also don't forget to mix in off days to give your body a chance to recover. 

This is just our system, and you can see they vary widely. The important thing is whatever you do, just do it regularly. 

Everyone is in a different place as far as their physical health. As we get older, some of that fancy weight resistance equipment may not be appropriate or even safe for some people. IMHO, stretching is one of the key ingredients for physical health over 60. Considering the storage / space limitations of full timers, I think one of the best and versatile ways to do this is with these types of resistance bands. One end secures to something solid - a door knob, a picnic table, or even a tree. Bands are quite versatile for many types of workouts. Combined with biking, jogging, walking, etc.

Planet Fitness has two levels of membership.  The $10/month one is just for your home club, but the $19.99/month one allows you to use any facility plus you can bring a guest each time so you might be able to get away with having just one of you sign up. 

I'm pretty sure there's an enrollment fee, plus less well publicized is a once-a-year charge of some sort unrelated to any enrollment fee or monthly dues.

we walk as much as we can, bike and go hiking. getting up and moving is the key. as my DW says "you can't exercise away a bad diet"..... JMHO

Never understood workout machines, because few of them are cardiovascular. Walking with "sticks" and swimming are two of the best exercises that exist. That said, in the really cold Winter while it's snowing, or the really hot Summers, my NordicTrac provides a decent workout.

Look into the TRX system. It?s a relatively cheap portable strap system that uses body weight and instability to increase work and muscle mass. Just need an attachment point about the height of the top of a door jam.
We used it on deployment when we didn?t have access to gym equipment. We had to carry all of our gear so light weight was important.

If you are looking for a RV friendly full body workout, I don't think you can beat "kettle bells". You aren't going to need more than one (1) 20-30lb bell and your wife one (1) 10-15lb bell. They are small and easy to store. They are cheap ($1.50 per lb) or a 4-bell starter set for $50. There are over a 100 exercises you can do with them (check out YouTube for examples). If you have a 5th wheel, you can do them inside (heck most can be done in a TT). A 20 minute workout is all you will need and if you do it the "Russian" way (lightweight, lots of reps) it will give you that intense cardio workout to complement walking and cycling.

We are snowbirds. That said....

We are 66 and in reasonably good health. We keep it simple on the road. I carry only two dumbbell weights which I use for a multitude of exercises. My routine is weights every morning after coffee never working the same muscle groups consecutively. Normal daily weight workout length is up to you.
We walk or hike most days at a distance and pace that works for us. Some days we also walk after dinner.
The key is get into a routine. Make it part of who you are.
Things come up and you will miss a day. No worries. Pick it up tomorrow.
Judy does various dvd workouts every day. Find a routine that works for you and be true to it.
It?s not that hard. Just gotta want it.

When we?re not on the road, we exercise every day so it?s simple to keep it up when we?re traveling. We don?t take any special workout equipment, other than our running shoes. We do push-ups and planks for upper body and core and make hiking a primary activity at our destinations. Running can pose a bit of a problem but we have found an app (TrailLink) that lists Rails-to-Trails around the country that has been very helpful when we?re looking for safe and reasonably flat places for long runs. When all else fails, many communities have a school where the locals go to walk/run laps around the track or even do stadiums.  We also plan our travel days so that we?re stopped and set up with enough daylight left to get in a good walk to stretch and work out the kinks from sitting in the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom