Worried about snow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chagood

Hello  We are new owners of an used 5th wheel.  We are planning to live in it while we sell our current home and have a home  built.  My husband will be doing much of the work himself, so estimate we will living in the 5th wheel for two years.  The RV will be located in the plain area of Colorado and for a part of the winter will be in the Denver area.  We are new to RVs and I am worried about snow loads on the roof.  Sometimes we can get heavy wet snows.  I read that these types of snows can crush an RV roof.  Does anyone have any ideas on tarp configurations that will shed snow?  I was thinking that of some type of PVC rooftop free standing truss configuration that would simulate a peaked roof that a tarp could cover.  Crazy?  Better ideas?

Welcome!!!

Snow load will be the least of your worries. Most of these trailers are NOT built to withstand cold weather living and doing so will cost a lot in heating, be very drafty and damp. For example, your 30 lb tank(s) will likely last only a few days at most before filling again. You can always shovel snow off carefully if it starts to build up, but making it comfortable for winter living is another story. Yes, people do it but.....

Alfa38User said:
Welcome!!!

Snow load will be the least of your worries. Most of these trailers are NOT built to withstand cold weather living and doing so will cost a lot in heating, be very drafty and damp. For example, your 30 lb tank(s) will likely last only a few days at most before filling again. You can always shovel snow off carefully if it starts to build up, but making it comfortable for winter living is another story. Yes, people do it but.....

agreed  ;D

I will third that also with the RV being lived in and thus warm snow may not build up as fast as it does on a much better insulated house.  I saw many days in Detroit where I had snow on the house roof but my neighbord did not.. I had six inches of ... well, chopped up fire resistant news paper in the attic and 4 (3.5) inches in the walls.

Heavy snow is going to collapse a tarp long before it causes damage to the roof.

I have a roof rake to clear snow from the house; it works just fine on the camper as well.

I just handle the snow as usual. I did this for 5 years and no issues just use a plastic snow shovel and careful push the snow off the RV. As for using covers Most of them end up failing. I've seen so many people attempt this up here in Idaho. The problem is the tarp will get cold and snow with stick and freeze then it start collecting weight till the outer cover has failed on top of the RV. I've seen people put RV covers on expect to clear the snow which ends up typically tearing the cover or still crushing a roof vent.

New spot is the second pic...

Attachments

• jayco in the snow.JPG
    jayco in the snow.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 50
  • jayco parked.jpg
    jayco parked.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 41
Snow load would be a problem whether you lived in it or not.
the roof is usually curved a little to shed snow also it is strong enough to be walked on too.

I gotta agree with most of the replies so far. Using my TT here in MI well through December, I can tell you this...

It's true. RVs are not insulated anywhere near like a stick and brick home. Even if the RV is built with the winter package. Keeping the interior warm is going to cost a bundle in LP. If you're going to live in it for a couple of years, you may check into the availability of having a residential LP tank of at least the 250 gallons size (min) installed. Probably larger if delivery of a refill is a problem during the winter months.

You are going to have a big issue with interior moisture. Cooking, bathing, everything associated with water is going to add moisture and will condense on your windows in a big way. Sure, you can crack more vents and windows to aid in the moisture problem. But remember...you're letting heat out too.
BTW...I can't sleep when the bedding feels damp. Can you? Just a thought.

I can't see the truss/tarp idea over the roof working too well. There is little insulation in the roof of the RV and heat loss through the roof may cause an ice buildup problem. Tarps wouldn't survive. Maybe those hard plastic/fiberglass corrugated panels available at big box stores? Might work. Talking more weight.
Due to the fact you mentioned a couple of years, maybe some sort of semi-permanent roof structure sturdy enough to withstand a winter in CO? IMHO, a better bet if anchored properly. Also, I have seen everything from hay bales to old vinyl siding used to close off the open space between the bottom of the RV and the ground. Keeps the winter winds from blowing beneath the RV. Which brings up another point...

I don't recall reading anything about how you will accommodate your water needs. Both fresh, and draining of both grey and black. You have a plan for freeze-ups?

I didn't even mention what you have planned for power. I assumed a temporary hookup to the grid. If allowed by local ordinance.

I'm not trying to purposely shoot holes in your plans. However, I am trying to bring items to light you may not have thought about in this endeavour. There is ALOT more to think about than just snow on the roof. 

Hello to everyone

While we are in the Denver area, we will be in an RV park with electrical, water, and sewage hookups.  When we get the building permit and move the rv to the ranch property, we will have electrical and water, but i am not sure when we will be able to get the septic system in.  It is going to be rough, but i am most intimitated by potential snow loads.  We may have to build an rv carport.  We just have so many projects to start and complete, i was hoping for other options to handle heavy snow loads.  Hoping for a mild winter.

See this thread:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,58114.msg534542.html#msg534542

Honestly, your best option is to live in the RV during the warm months and rent an apartment during the cold ones.  You will be much happier.

I have seen folks take the precaution of parking under an "RV-PORT" or other covered storage to prevent snow load damage to the RV's ROOF.

only to have the roof of the port collapse under the load and blow right through the roof of the RV

And to add the insult...Another RV of the same construction parked NEXT TO the same port, but not covered.. Survived intact.

I'm over 300 pounds.. Wear size 12 gunboats  and walk all over the roof of my RV..Think about the pounds per square foot there.

carlah said:
Hello to everyone

While we are in the Denver area, we will be in an RV park with electrical, water, and sewage hookups.  When we get the building permit and move the rv to the ranch property, we will have electrical and water, but i am not sure when we will be able to get the septic system in.  It is going to be rough, but i am most intimitated by potential snow loads.  We may have to build an rv carport.  We just have so many projects to start and complete, i was hoping for other options to handle heavy snow loads.  Hoping for a mild winter.

What RV park will you be using? 
We went to Denver about 10 years ago and the only RV park we could find was on the east side. It was horrible and we left after one night. Keep in mind we have hit all 48 states and this place ranked near the top in BAD.  I called an RV store in Denver and asked if there were any other places and they said none close to the city that they knew of.

Frizlefrak said:
Honestly, your best option is to live in the RV during the warm months and rent an apartment during the cold ones.  You will be much happier.

Best advise so far... I've done the RV living in the Idaho winters already. All I can say is it bad. There is never enough heat between what the 30 Amp service can provide and the propane. Propane burns quickly in the winters. Humidity and moisture problems are constant. I think the worst thing to happen to me was my hair freezing to the window. Yes, I have long hair. Then finding out the propane ran out at 2am in the morning. I was not happy.  Then having the CPVC pipes freeze and split. :mad: This was back in my 20 foot Dodge Jamboree Motorhome. Winters in a RV are not easy nor fun.

We had no problems in SW NH over a winter. Turn on a fan for showering and cooking, shoveled snow because we had to move to another spot and burned propane at a pretty good clip, 4 100lbs and 10 40lbs for a total of 800lbs, the 100lb tank was a little cumbersome to load and unload but did it by myself(63 at that time). Dual pane windows left no condensation and the fulltime pkg keep us warm enough (62deg). I don't shovel snow anymore and neither do the dealers anywhere.  Last winter my barn roof collapsed but the camper was fine. Barn passed building code in 1992 while redoing the roof I added more snow load than the code requirements recommended,  local code is 60lbs ground snow load I used 80lbs.

Get a good dehumidifier to keep the inside moisture down.  We have a Kenmore that would remove about a gallon a day. Keeps the condensation of the inside of the windows. Also - drier air feels warmer than damp air.

I had no problems this winter with either snow or heat in Manitou Springs, CO.  I skirted the bottom of the trailer and insulated the windows with 1 1/2" rigid insulation and kept the inside around 68 - 70 deg with 2 little space heaters.(propane heater doesn't work) It did dip down to around the mid 60's when we hit -14 deg. but the worst thing to deal with was draining the black and grey tanks and when the RV park's water line froze below ground. Snow load was of little concern as enough heat escapes through the roof that not a ton of snow builds up.

Just brain storming here, no first hand experience with what you're asking.....

But how's this for an idea.

before starting on the house, why not build a nice barn first.  You're gonna want it to store the TV in later anyway, right..... so a barn would keep the snow off the rv, and if its enclosed would help to take the wind off of it, maybe making it a bit more liveable.....

again just a thought

Mopar1973Man said:
Kind of like why I didn't build a barn because it will increase property taxes.  ::)

Yeah, well there's a down side..... there is always at least one!

personally, I would love to have a place where I could build a barn for my toys..... get my RV under shade to prolong it and keep it cleaner, and get my boat out of my garage!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allen v
Back
Top Bottom