Would Like Suggestions on Where to Stay-Traveling from Tampa,FL to Milwakuee, WI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvtripwith4

I need you experienced RVer's help, PLEASE  :)  My husband, myself, our two boys and our two dogs are taking our first RV trip in June.  I know of several websites that have RV park listings by City, however, I am really interested in staying where people would recommended based on their favorite parks.  We are traveling for 17 days (From Tampa, FL to Milwaukee, WI) and a week of that time we will be staying in a cabin in Wisconsin so we are more looking for places to stay along the route.  We do not have a specific route we have to take, if there is a place that is incredible and it might be a little out of our way, we would be interested!  If you know of any neat places that kids and animals would like, please let me know.  I'd like to thank everyone in advance for there time to help my family!  God Bless!

Thanks for coming to our forum.  We think we are the friendliest RV forum on the web. 

I'm sure you will get specific suggestions here.  But, my advice is to play it by ear.  I prefer state and national parks to RV parks and resorts.  But that isn't the logic behind my recommendation.  If you select places before you begin the trip you will find yourself either pushing on to keep on schedule or stopping too early.  If you drive down the road and pick a spot when you are ready, the trip (at least for us) is far more pleasurable.  Most maps show state and national parks and as the day wears on and you get a sence of where you may end up - pick one. 

That is my two cents and I'm sure there will be other opinions posted.  You see; that is the beauty of this forum.  You can obtain facts and opinions here.  Both are valuable.

Glad to have you join us!

Welcome to our wonderful world of RVing.

I have to agree with George.  If you narrow your route so much with reservations, it leaves no room for serendipity.  One of our most fun times was when we were heading north and encountered snow in Wyoming.  No, no, no, no, no.  We don't do the white stuff.  So what did we do?  At Cheyenne we turned south on I-25 and went all the way to El Paso.  Had a great time along the way stopping at a few places that were really fun.  Now that's true serendipity.  I realize you won't be going quite that far, but this is a good example of what RVing is all about.  It provides flexibility and that's what many of us like about it.

As to specific places, what one person likes, another person may dislike, so it's hard to give recommendations.  What are the ages of your boys?  Someone might indicate a really neat place a teenage boy would love, but the same place might not be suitable for a four-year-old.  What do they like?  Zoos?  Historical places?  Nature?  When I was about 8 or 9 we stopped in Hannibal MO on one of our trips and I loved it because I had read Tom Sawyer and it was really fun to see Becky Thatcher's house and the fence Tom and his friends supposedly white washed.  There are tons of places like that, depending on their interests.

Whatever you decide, I know you're going to have a super trip!  And you'll be making lots of memories for your boys.

ArdraF

I totally understand and am concerned over the stress to make it a certain distance but was not sure if you can find places to stay (i.e. state parks, etc.) on a days notice???  Also, this will be summer time when we are going to be traveling. My boys are 9 & 7.  Thanks again for you help! 

When traveling from point A to B we never make reservations in advance.  Takes the enjoyment out of the trip.  If we see something we want to explorer a bit then we have not reservation to make us feel we have to move on.  We normally have no idea where we will stay till we get the campground guide out when we are about ready to stop for the day.  We seldom even call ahead we just take our chances they prospective campground will have a site available.

Unless it's a holiday weekend, it generally isn't all that difficult to get sites unless you need something special, for example you have a 45-foot Prevost with a toad you don't want to unhook so you need a pull-through site with no trees for satellite reception.  With the economy the way it's been, we haven't seen a lot of full campgrounds on our last few trips.  Like Ron, when we start thinking it's time to stop we pull out the Trailer Life Campground Directory and sometimes call ahead.

By the way, your boys are at a really good age to do this type of trip.  Put them to work at trying to figure out where they want to go (within a specified area, of course, or you might end up in California!).

ArdraF

If you are passing threw Kankakee IL. and need a place to park your camper or MH for the night I have a commercial parking lot in a quite neighborhood and well lit and the  cost is FREE my office is about 2- 3 miles north of I-57 exit 308. If you need electric, I do have but it is a 20 amps, if need drinking water for your tank no problem. No dump station. All I ask is keep it CLEAN  Traveling with 2-3 friends in there campers that's fine too. wide entrance and exits Hope this will help campers passing threw. Just email before so I can come down there and help you show you where to park.

Pat

One last question...we are going to be taking a C30 RV...any recommendations as to which route not to take?  We were just planning on using Mapquest but wasn't sure if there was anywhere we should go differently since we are taking an RV. Thanks!

You shouldn't have any problems following the Map-Quest instructions.  Sometimes you run into some pretty big hills or mountains, but take your time, don't stress the engine , and you should be ok.

KOA campgrounds are usually good for kids. KOA is a bit more expensive but are kid friendly.  I used them when we traveled with our grandson who was 10 at the time.

Regards,
Liz

If you pass through Ohio, they have very nice state parks that offer a discount for Passport America holders.

Wendy
Cortez CO

I will throw in a vote for making reservations along the way, if that will fit your travel schedule better.  ;)  Sure being spontaneous is fun sometimes too, but being a young family with kids (like we are too) does require some predictability at times depending on your and your kids' preferences.

KOA's are nice but a little overrated IMO.  They are usually $40-50/night but don't have a whole lot to do on-site, at least the ones around IL.  Instead they are often placed close to major attractions, and that's their selling point.  State parks in IL just can't be beat, when you come through here on your way north to WI.  $20/night at most places, great scenery and trails at many of them.  Usually no full hookups (electric only) but we've never needed anything else for 2-3 day stays.  There is fresh water and dump station on site, just not at every campsite.  Here a few IL recommendations:

- Pere Marquette state park near St. Louis (haven't stayed there yet but plan to this year)
- Shabbona Lake state park (same as above)
- Starved Rock state park, another link here (nice campground, great park/lodge with Native American history & trails)
- O'Connell's Jellystone (Yogi Bear park, expensive but lots of things to do, pools, waterslide, paddle boats, etc.)

The last 3 parks are all pretty close to one another (within 30-40 miles I'd say) off of I-39 toward Rockford, IL before crossing into southwestern WI.  In case that falls into your planned travel route.  You would definitely need reservations for O'Connell's Jellystone.

Mapquest/Google Maps are okay but I'd highly recommend investing in an automotive GPS unit.  You can get an entry level one (like a Streetpilot c330) for $70-80 or less now.  That's what we have and I wouldn't be without it now, especially for spontaneous traveling.  Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom