Would someone explain "Smart Phones" to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can find out is to spend $150 on a smart phone and $30 per month for two years for a data plan. That is almost a grand to see if I like it.

If you don't get the latest and greatest model smartphone, it shouldn't cost you anything to buy. My Droid X was free with two year contract because newer models were available, and that was only about 9 months after the Droid X first came out. Not exactly obsolete! If Verizon isn't offering any freebie deals, look at some of their agents, e..g Tiger Direct. Right now they have at least 4 smartphone models that are free with a contract.

Gary - I cannot do a 2 year contract. I have not used credit in the last 30 years so therefore I won't pass a credit check. I do not want to sign a two year contract. That only means you are paying less for the phone initially but then paying for it with the contract. That is credit no matter how you look at it and that is against my rules. I don't do credit on anything. Then when the contract is up you continue to pay the higher rate even though the phone is technically paid for. But by then your phone is obsolete so it is time for another 2 year contract. I am not hopping on the $80 a month treadmill.

I bet there are a lot of iPhone users out there that don't realize they can actually make calls on their phone.

That's probably very true.

I'd had an iPod Touch for several years with lots of apps on it before I upgraded my dumb phone to my first Droid smart phone. Signed the contract, paid for the phone, and walked out of the store. I got to the car, went back in the store and asked my dumb question: "how do I make phone calls on this thing?"  :-[

I am one of the guys that still wants a phone that is just a phone. We do our internet stuff with our Verizon aircard, two laptops and wireless router so we can both access the Internet at the same time and access each others laptops and wireless printer via a home network.

Since I don't want to do all that cool stuff on a little bitty keyboard and tiny screen, I cant see paying for another data plan to get what I already have.

I am using a Verizon Samsung Convoy phone - the latest one is a Convoy 2 I think. It is built to mil specs with a water resistant keyboard, BIG numbers and a battery life of two weeks or so when left on all the time. It is drop resistant.
If all you want is a phone I think the Convoy is a good choice.

My current dumb phone has a battery life of one month on standby. I didn't believe it when I bought it that it was rated for 679 hours of standby, but it goes a month on a charge. It would be annoying to have to charge my phone every day. I hated it when I had to charge it every week.

Before I started this thread I researched smart phones and spent some time looking at apps that were available for Android. The only app that really appealed to me was the Sibley's Bird Guide for $20. It would be a great help for identifying birds in the field. But then I realized that I recognize 99% of the birds I see so it wouldn't be that useful.

Tom, I believe you could drop your air card and 5g/mos plan and pick up the $30/mos plan instead. You could then tether for internet with your laptop and netbook while at home or wherever plus have the smart phone for internet and the tons of uses while out and about.

Have been amazed at tethering usage of my phone. Mine does not require rooting the phone and once set up, is just a matter of plugging in the mini USB cable between the phone and computer. As soon as the cable goes in, the note on the screen of either my desktop, laptop, or my netbook displays that I am on line. And, the service is always as good or better than with my air card and available wherever there is a tower.

As to a two year contract with the smart phone, I can solve that for you too. I have a huge screen Droid X that I had lost and then found - and in the meantime bought a used Samsung Charge. And it is for sale at a reduced price to my friends or family. Am just about to post it on Amazon. It comes with a desk stand and RV window holder. Makes it nice for the built in GPS or 500plus music tracks I had put on it.

As to the need for a 500mm lens - there is an app you can download that will allow you to use any of your Sony lenses with a Droid X. Trust me on this, Tom.  ;)

Actually, have been amazed at the quality of the later smart phone cameras. It is nice to be able to catch a snap shot type pic when out and about w/o my 50D. All of THESE were taken w/my smartphone.

As to likening your RV to having a sports car . . .  ???

then there's this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/avi_rubin_all_your_devices_can_be_hacked.html

the solution: security via obscurity...?

Bob, have you tried FoxFi?  It turns your Android phone into a hotspot.  No rooting, no cable, and you can connect multiple devices to it.  I use my Bionic with FoxFi as the backup to HughesNet, and since I still have unlimited data on the phone, it's great for those large downloads that I can't do easily with HughesNet.

taoshum said:

Security by obscurity is worse than none at all as it gives a false sense of security.

taoshum said:

Then there's the guy that spent an hour w/his analyst - and was then told, It is my opinion that you are "not" paraniod. Everyone "is" against you.  :)

Notice that on most all of the demos of smartphone hacking, the hacker is within a few feet of the hackee. That is because, as I undertand from what I have read so far, bluetooth is the media of attack. So the attacker must be within 33 feet of the phone.

Bob, Bluetooth so easy to use that it has virtually no security at all.  It's greatest advantage is also it's greatest weakness.  But I'm not giving up my BT Jawbone :)  I rarely talk on the phone without using it.

Jim, I did until I found FoxFi :)  Just turn on the hotspot, connect wirelessly, and that's it.  No software on the computer needed.

That only means you are paying less for the phone initially but then paying for it with the contract. That is credit no matter how you look at it and that is against my rules. I don't do credit on anything.

Tom zzyzx,
How did you get your Verizon USB modem?  As far as I know, they don't have pay-as-you-go data and it requires a contract. And did you pay full price for the modem?

Oh well, never mind. It's pretty clear you have decided that smart phones are dumb to have.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Tom zzyzx,
How did you get your Verizon USB modem?  As far as I know, they don't have pay-as-you-go data and it requires a contract. And did you pay full price for the modem?

Oh well, never mind. It's pretty clear you have decided that smart phones are dumb to have.
I found out about air cards when I was living with a girl a few years ago and she signed up for the 2 year contract since she had good credit. When we broke up I kept the modem and have just paid the bill for the last few years. I can't get the account out of her name since I don't have credit.

I have always thought smart phones were dumb to have because I could not afford them nor could I qualify to get one since I didn't have credit. But now I can afford one and they have them available as a pay as you go thing so I have been trying to find out what it is that people use them for that makes them worth so much money per month. So far no one has been able to impress me with the way they are using their smart phone so I am still not interested. Anyone can change my mind if they can explain some things that I could use it for that would be worth my money.

Ned said:
Security by obscurity is worse than none at all as it gives a false sense of security.

Granted.  Nonetheless, there's little I can do to "secure" the car when an attack thru the TPMS occurs, the V-Fib (thru its wireless interface) I might need someday gets hacked or the determined hacker via WIFI decides to attack.  There's another TED presentation that says there is absolutely no reason to have our names on credit cards anymore...  Seems pretty clear that "security" is way behind function, sales and history when it comes to consumers... not surprising I guess.  There are now over 6 billion cell phone subscribers on the planet, 2 billion more than the number of toothbrushes (LOL), almost a billion "smart phones" (2/3rd's are Android) and the projections are for advertising and malware to skyrocket.

Purposeful Obscurity seems worthwhile...certainly not a great solution but keeping a low profile in the midst of the turbulence might help.  I'm no expert though, just passing the perspective along in case someone is interested.  Ironically, posting on forums doesn't contribute much to obscurity... oh well.... :-[

Wendy said:
So don't get one. QED

see the attached graph... smartphones are growing exponentially...  but they are not mandatory, LOL

Attachments

• phones.pdf
    18 KB · Views: 16
Well now, after careful review of the extensive posts attempting to assist the OP's 'dilemma'.... I think Tom (sorry, zzyzx) has made a very persuasive argument for getting another simple phone for $20.00 and happily making phone calls again!  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldlawnman
Back
Top Bottom