Would You Buy A Suzuki Jimny For A TOAD, If Available?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If street legal and emissions legal, and flat towable, why not? Lots of Suzuki Surami, Suzuki and Geo models use for TOADs, so why not? Thing is, you cannot, it isn't street legal in the US.

Charles

Nope. I can't get excited about 101 horsepower in a tiny little rig built overseas. It's the same reason Suzuki doesn't see a business case for selling them here.

I think Americans are preoccupied with HP. The knock on our 4cyl. Outback was it’s underpowered. It merges in Dallas traffic with ease. It cruises at 80 here in Texas with no problem. Not exactly sure why it needs more HP.

I would in a heartbeat…. I use an ‘86 Suzuki Samurai now, and love it.. But it’s an old car, with parts that wear out, and is pretty lacking in creature comforts... The 101hp doesn’t bother me, as the Samurai only has 63hp… It’ll do 70 on the freeway, and I’m not going fast off-road… I prefer American built vehicles (This is my only Asian brand car in almost 60years of driving), but we don’t build anything like it.. A Jeep is almost twice as heavy, and over twice as much to buy.. I want a cheap, light, reliable 4x4 as a TOAD, so for now it’s the Samurai…
Butch

I'd need one for each foot.

I’m 6’0”, 200# and I fit pretty ok in the Samurai… Not a lot of storage, unless you fold down or remove the back seat.. Some people use roof racks, but I think they make them too top heavy…
Butch

This reminds me of why the Toyota HiLux is no longer sold here. It was a top seller until Toyota removed it from the North American market in 1976. Toyota still makes it, and they are all over Central and South America - I've seen them by the thousands down there - but not here anymore. I don't know why.

This reminds me of why the Toyota HiLux is no longer sold here. It was a top seller until Toyota removed it from the North American market in 1976. Toyota still makes it, and they are all over Central and South America - I've seen them by the thousands down there - but not here anymore. I don't know why.

The name might have disappeared, but Toyota has been selling a US version of that pickup ever since, now evolved, and known as the Tacoma.

See them in UK.

Google Chicken Tax. Auto makers have tried ever "scam" in the world to get around it, but its high time our lawmakers changed the law.

Ford imported the Transit Connects from Turkey with a back seat, seat belts, windows, cardboard panels, and called it a passenger van. Ripped everything out in Baltimore and ran it thru the shredder, installed metal panels in place of windows and presto! cargo van. Until the government decided that was not "fair'

Ford imported the Mazda pickup (and Ford Courier branded version) without a bed, just a cab and chassis, incomplete vehicle, but finally the government put a stop to that too.

Volkswagen built the Rabbit pickup here in the US because of the tariff.

Land Rovers are confiscated every year at ports of entry, and crushed, because they are newer than 25 years old, and have been "modified" to fake a older than 25 yr vehicle.

Charles

I had a great little S10 Blazer, that I inherited from my Father-in-law. He hardly drove it, and had no miles on it… After a few years I sold it too friend at work for a great price.. He needed a car bad, so I let him have the Blazer, but I told him, that if I heard he sold it for a profit, I’d kick his butt.. The deal was to get him good wheels for cheap, not so he could scalp it… It was a really nice car..
Butch

My brother in law worked at a dealership that sold Suzukis. I walked into his bay and there was a Samurai engine taken apart. It had a broken crankshaft. A lawnmower engine has a beefier crankshaft!

On the other hand, if it had more horsepower it would probably kill you.

My brother in law worked at a dealership that sold Suzukis. I walked into his bay and there was a Samurai engine taken apart. It had a broken crankshaft. A lawnmower engine has a beefier crankshaft!

On the other hand, if it had more horsepower it would probably kill you.
Most of these Samurai’s go a good 200,000-300,000 miles on the original engine. No torque, but plenty of revs.
Butch

We flat towed a 1992 Geo tracker, 4wd, hardtop for over 20 years
Great vehicle. Weighed 2550# before we loaded it.
I‘m a little over 6 feet ( or used to be) and I could wear a cowboy hat comfortably in it.
Easy to get in and out of. Good power, great gas mileage, good all around vehicle. 1.6 liter 5 speed over.

We flat towed a 1992 Geo tracker, 4wd, hardtop for over 20 years
Great vehicle. Weighed 2550# before we loaded it.
I‘m a little over 6 feet ( or used to be) and I could wear a cowboy hat comfortably in it.
Easy to get in and out of. Good power, great gas mileage, good all around vehicle. 1.6 liter 5 speed over.
The definition of juxtaposition in Texas is a six footer in a cowboy hat driving a Geo Tracker. It's also illegal.

Google Chicken Tax. Auto makers have tried ever "scam" in the world to get around it, but its high time our lawmakers changed the law.

Ford imported the Transit Connects from Turkey with a back seat, seat belts, windows, cardboard panels, and called it a passenger van. Ripped everything out in Baltimore and ran it thru the shredder, installed metal panels in place of windows and presto! cargo van. Until the government decided that was not "fair'

Ford imported the Mazda pickup (and Ford Courier branded version) without a bed, just a cab and chassis, incomplete vehicle, but finally the government put a stop to that too.

Volkswagen built the Rabbit pickup here in the US because of the tariff.

Land Rovers are confiscated every year at ports of entry, and crushed, because they are newer than 25 years old, and have been "modified" to fake a older than 25 yr vehicle.

Charles
I was out on my bike a few weeks back and caught sight of a few older landrovers out in the back lot of an auto importer. I got closer and they were the older real safari types like you'd see on National Geographic. I mean those dudes were outfitted to hunt Rhino in Africa. They still had all the import stickers on the windshields. Some urbanite in Dallas will likely pay a small fortune for one of those.

The Chicken Tax is how we have Nissan, Toyota, Mazda pickups all built here in the US (and, VW, as the Golf-based Caddie pickup, as mentioned above). It's also how the Subaru Brat came to light - the rear seat was installed specifically to avoid the tariff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom