Yamaha es3000 issuie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rick kl

I have a 2005 Yamaha Inverter I bought used it starts and runs fine, but if you shut it off and try to Restart it while its warm IT WILL NOT START. I used the inverter  like this for a few weeks and then dropped it off at a Yamaha service center, so far they are baffled to explain why it will not start. They have cleaned the carb and choke reset the valves and they Even swapped the computer board with another one, the same thing will run all day but will not restart. The dealer has put in a call to the techs at Yamaha but they have no explanation either. This weekend I am going to pick it back up and use it as is. Any ideas out here what could be causing this!
I forgot to add there is no spark at the plug when this occurs.

This happened to me with a roto-tiller once.  The problem ended up being a bad magneto.  There are some tight clearances in the magneto, and when it gets warm, the clearances get tighter.  The hot engine cools down after a while and the problem goes away.  Not sure why the issue only happens on start up, but that's the way mine was too.

I think andy is on to something, I googled around and found this

Generally speaking:

The biggest advantage to magneto ignition is that it is simple and reliable.

The biggest problem with magneto ignition is that it is simple and reliable.

E gap or efficiency gap (points setting)

Magnetos work best and deliver the hottest spark when the energy inductance to the coil caused by the rotating magnetic shaft is interrupted at the strongest point. This interruption is done by adjusting the points against a cam to cause them to open at just the right moment. Points that open sooner (smaller gap setting) or later (larger gap setting), are less efficient, and produce less of a spark than those tuned to the most efficient specified setting. This point gap varies by manufacturer but is generally not less than .012" and rarely greater than .025" (see maintenance manual.

Points fail when the condenser fails, by causing the transfer of metal on the face of the points that changes the E gap. Also the fiber rubbing block on the points can wear from corrosion on the cam, and lack of cam lubrication. Eventually the points do not open, and spark ceases from the magneto.

Over a long service life and from constant heat and cooling of the magneto, the rotor shaft may loose its magnetism. Or the coil may begin to break down. These failures are often noted in magnetos where they start well "cold" but the engine becomes hard starting once it warms to operating temperature, or after it becomes heat soaked. The lesser magnetism or failed coil results in a lesser spark, and harder starting. Pretty simple stuff.

http://www.luscombesilvaire.info/endowment/pop_topics/magneto_mysteries_exposed.htm

The guys at the Yamaha shop were trying anything rather than using logic, no spark check the carb? I don't know how to fix this but at least I have somewhere to start

It is odd, though, that it runs as long as you like and doesn't fail until it is shut down. That suggests that something doesn't shift from "run" to "start" mode rather than a failure due to heat expansion.  Is the problem immediate, i.e. if it runs for 30 minutes and then you shut it down, can it be restarted immediately (in the next minute) but not 5 minutes later? If so, cooling of a hot condenser could explain it. But if it won't start immediately and the fault is no spark, then you have to look for something that failed to switch modes.

I gathe rit does re-start if you wait awhile. How long does it have to cool before it can be restarted? Are we talking a few minutes or several hours? 

Andy hits one out of the park! :)
I'll have to buy him a beer sometime! ;)
I had the mechanic check the air gap in the magneto it was set at minimum clearance the tech backed it off a little, problem solved. The generator would only start after at least 4-5 hours of cooling it ran perfectly during this time it just wouldn't start warm.

Thanks for the help this really is the friendliest RV site on the internet 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom