Yellowstone 2016 or Bust! Forum Rally May 15 through May 21, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
745 miles for us...2 full days of travel, maybe 3...it'll be 3 days  ::)

For perspective, and since I still work during the week out of the coach, we will take three weekends, six stops total,  to travel the 1547 miles to YNP from Kerrville, TX, where we now are. Three 300 miles days, three 200 mile days is how it ends up working out.

But....that's stopping a week in Santa Fe and a week in Salt Lake City.

A trip planning trick I use is to take the total mileage, divide by 50mph, and that computes how many hours we will drive and it includes food stops and fuel. It's amazing how accurate it is for us. So if we need to make 300 miles that day, that is almost exactly six hours, point to point.

Then I use Google Maps and start blocking the number of days traveling with the miles, and whether we want to stretch or compress to hit a certain park or area. It's not rocket science but after you do it a couple of times, you'll get your travel rhythm and what works best. One size definitely does not fit all.

Like Boomer says, just because you can, doesn't mean you should - take your time and enjoy what you see!

Kim

We are coming from Oceanside, CA which is about 1000 miles from West Yellowstone. Stopping in Las Vegas for 1 night. Then on to Moab for 4 nights and then going on to Lake Jordanelle State Park in Park City for 2 nights. Then to West Yellowstone. We try to keep our driving to more than 5 hours a day.

With regret, I must cancel our plan to join the Yellowstone Rally. Certainly, a great time will be had by all in attendance.

Cheers,

Randy

As noted in the trip planning post, you should expect a wide range of temps in the middle of May, from freezing to the 70's (we've seen both ends), especially this year with the El Nino effect.

Prepare to layer during the day and carry what you need for your outings!

Ahh, the unpredictability of it all - part of the fun!

Kim

UTTransplant said:
Ummm, you do realize the rally is still 2 months away, don't you?  ;D

But it's Yellowstone. That kind of weather can happen year-round there.

We lived near Big Piney, WY for a while...my kids still laugh about setting off their 4th of July fireworks in 6 inches of fresh fallen snow...and it was still snowing.

We leave for our 2 month trip April 28th, meandering towards Yellowstone as our northern most point. The plan is to wing the entire trip, with our sole reservation the first night.

Chances are we will arrive at YNP sometime very close to the rally.

Is there a way we can pick up a space from a cancellation or a no show ?

Houston Remodeler said:
We leave for our 2 month trip April 28th, meandering towards Yellowstone as our northern most point. The plan is to wing the entire trip, with our sole reservation the first night.

Chances are we will arrive at YNP sometime very close to the rally.

Is there a way we can pick up a space from a cancellation or a no show ? l
  I'm sure Kim will get back to you soon.  I'd be surprised if there isn't room for you at the rally.  We would look forward to meeting you and your two Jack Russells!

Something for pet owners to consider is the fact that when you go into the park, your schedule is at the mercy of traffic, bison jams, and just plain mileage. It's almost 3 million acres, for crying out loud.

There are limitations to your pets being in the park. Read this YNP blurb carefully!!

Give some thought to the idea that we may have some volunteer dog walkers who can help and not tie your visits to three or fours hours of sightseeing and two more hours of driving to get back. It can make for long stressful days, and we should be able to come up with a plan to lessen the burden.

If you have some ideas or discussion on the topic, this is a good place and time to start.

Kim

Thanks for posting ther YSNP link. The rules make complete sense to me.

Since there are no bears round these parts, we never would have thought our furry little darlings would high tail it back to the TT with a bear right behind. Now we are quite sure they would.

At the Welcome gathering, we will be passing on some safety information that many will not have considered in the last place they camped.

You have to consider that Yellowstone National Park is some 2.2 million acres in parts of three states that thousands of animals call home. We just paid a fee to cruise their neighborhood.  8)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom