Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore in September

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lorrir

My husband and I are taking a month long trip from the Carolinas to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore. We plan to leave after Labor Day.

We will be driving our 31 foot, Class C, Jayco Granite Ridge. We will not being towing a vehicle.

I'm concerned about traveling in the park with the MH. I'm concerned about snowy road conditions and possibly crowds.

We chose September to avoid the crowds, knowing that we will miss out on some areas as they will be closed after the Labor Day Holiday.

Our back up plan is to rent a car when we get to the Yellowstone area.

Am I worried for no reason?

September is my favorite month in Yellowstone. The crowds are reduced, and the wildlife is at it's most active.

There are many features there that have very limited parking. Even with the reduced crowds, more than once in September, I have had to circle round and round the parking lot at some of the thermal areas, looking for a spot for my pickup truck. I would strongly suggest renting a car, either in cody or in West Yellowstone.

You should also be prepared for some adverse weather. In September of '14, we had beautiful weather. In mid September '15 (can't recall the exact date), we left a few days early in the middle of a snow storm. You will want to do Yellowstone first, and then hit the lower elevation of the Black Hills.

Joel

Joel

I was there in Sept and the weather was beautiful, BUT...It was crowded and hard to find a parking spot even for the car at times.

If you go to the Black Hills in late September it could get pretty crowded - and booked up.  The annual buffalo roundup is scheduled for Sept. 30.  I recommend you try to avoid that weekend and a few days in advance of it.  Other than that, I love the Black Hills in Sept/Oct time frame.  Yes, you could encounter some bad weather, but it usually not a problem.  Just keep your eye on the sky and ear on the weather radio.  You will be rewarded with crisp mornings and beautiful yellow aspens.

Attachments

• BlackHills.jpg
    BlackHills.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 18
lorrir said:
My husband and I are taking a month long trip from the Carolinas to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore. We plan to leave after Labor Day.

We will be driving our 31 foot, Class C, Jayco Granite Ridge. We will not being towing a vehicle.

I'm concerned about traveling in the park with the MH. I'm concerned about snowy road conditions and possibly crowds.

We chose September to avoid the crowds, knowing that we will miss out on some areas as they will be closed after the Labor Day Holiday.

Our back up plan is to rent a car when we get to the Yellowstone area.

Am I worried for no reason?

Am I worried for no reason? YES

But you will still have crowds - you could go later - But your plan will work just be ready to travel early and late hiking during the noon hours....... it will be AWESOME!!

Yellowstone is beautiful any time of year, but the weather can change.  I was stationed in Rapid City years ago, and went to meet my parents in Yellowstone over 4th of July weekend.  In 3 days in Yellowstone, we had a) beautiful weather, b) rain, c) sleet/hail, d) snow.  You just never know.  But you can always hang around for a couple more days, and it will be ok again.  Have a safe trip.  Don't forget to go see the Crazy Horse memorial in the Black Hills.  Quite a project....and with no government money.

Fitz

We go to Eastern Wyoming to hunt every September/October. The weather is usually great but a few years ago there was a freak blizzard over the Black Hills that dumped 20 inches of snow and killed thousands of cattle the first week of October.. So watch the weather as its pretty unpredictable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom