Yellowstone Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jth

I read and reviewed all the pics displayed by those who went to Yellowstone in May. My wife and I are headed out the 2nd week in Aug. First stop is the bad lands for a few days of motorcycle riding around the area. When we are headed to Yellowstone. I see some of the members stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. Is that the place to stay to get to all the sites? How about cycling the park? Is that a safe way to travel?

Any suggestions are welcome. This is our first RV and our first long trip. We have completed three shorter trips pulling a 12 trailer with the MC.

John H from N. Myrtle Beach

Yellowstone is gigantic. It is bigger than some states. It doesn't matter where you stay, you will be close to some sites and far from others. But the drive will always be beautiful. Don't forget about Grand Tetons.

Just got back... Yellowstone is huge.  We stayed in West Yellowstone for touring the park and Cody before we started our park tour.  We left Yellowstone Southbound through Grand Tetons. 

1. IMHO, West Yellowstone is the closest and most convenient town if you are not camping in the park.  The town has good restaurants and amenities.

2.  Cycling safe?  Read the story about the park ranger attacked 2 weeks ago by a Grizzly in Glacier NP.  Read other such stories. Buy bear spray and know how to use it.  An attack could happen anywhere to anyone.  Not saying don't cycle, just be prepared.

I did not know they made such a thing as bear spray. I'll see if I can find some at Outdoor World. Thanks for the insight. I've cycled the Blue Ridge Parkway and seen folks get out the of their cars in the middle of the road to photograph bears and cubs crossing. I do know you do not want to do that.

John H

Tom. Thought I would visit Grand Tetons when we pull out of West Yellowstone. From my research, I like what I read about Grizzle RV Park. I was thinking 3 days there then move South. I will be coming from Keystone, WY thru Cody then thru Yellowstone to West Yellowstone. Does that sound like a RV trip w/ a tow?

John H

The best motorcycle ride in the area is the Beartooth Highway. It is hwy. 212 from the NE Yellowstone entrance to Red Lodge Montana. The road hits almost 11,000', so take warm clothes ans stop and have a snowball fight.

On the way back, thr Beartooth cafe in Cooke City has excellent food at very good prices. They have almost 50 varieties of craft beers.

Joel

jth said:
I did not know they made such a thing as bear spray. I'll see if I can find some at Outdoor World. Thanks for the insight. I've cycled the Blue Ridge Parkway and seen folks get out the of their cars in the middle of the road to photograph bears and cubs crossing. I do know you do not want to do that.

John H

They sell bear spray in Cody, and West Yellowstone according to some info on the web and definitely in Jackson Hole as we bought some there. 

Hi John--

We workcamp at Grizzly RV and, of course, think that Grizzly is the best campground in the area.  That said, this entire area is having the most visitors ever and there are aren't enough campgrounds in the area to handle the crowds.  As an example, all of our sites are already reserved through the end of August and we are having to turn away 30 - 40 requests per day.

We recommend starting your search for a campsite right now.  You can cover the most ground by going to destinationyellowstone.com/sleep.  This site is run by the West Yellowstone Chamber of Commerce and nearly all campgrounds in the area participate.

Good Luck!

Don

If you can't get into Yellowstone, try going to the Tetons, although they might be busy too, its a lovely area to visit.

Don. Thanks for the info. We are not going to be in a hurry. Is the first week in Sep any better? I can spend some additional time in Missouri before arriving in the bad lands.  I could stay south and visit Yellowstone in Sep. Your thoughts

John H, N. Myrtle Beach  :-\

John - I'll check Monday and see what the availability is in September.  I would expect things to loosen up by then.  Also, we much prefer YNP in September vs the summer months.  The kids and the summer vacationers have departed and access to the Park and the various "must see" places is much easier (usually).

Don

If you take a cycle to YNP in August, be prepared to creep along at a few mph or wait for time measured in hours when you encounter a Bison Jam or some other traffic jam.  If you ride an air cooled HD, as many do, at the YNP elevation, on a sunny day, in a Bison Jam, the engine will get really hot...  Also note that that the speed limit never exceeds 45 mph, but actually you'll be lucky to go that fast.  On the big plus side though, parking a cycle will be trivial compared to a regular vehicle.  We'd suggest heading into the Park, no later than sunrise, get where you're going early...earlier than sunrise would be cool.  Note that if someone sees a bear, you can expect a BearJam of surprising duration.  Take plenty of water.

We have spent the last 22 summers in western Wyoming, and if your schedule will allow it, do not even think of visiting YNP before labor day. We were forced into visiting it summer before last in July because of a visiting granddaughter. NEVER again!!!!

Bill

arcticfox2005 said:
We have spent the last 22 summers in western Wyoming, and if your schedule will allow it, do not even think of visiting YNP before labor day. We were forced into visiting it summer before last in July because of a visiting granddaughter. NEVER again!!!!

Bill

I'll keep that in mind. My wife does not want to get into any hurry when we start out on this - our first long trip. We are both retired and have no need to hurry. Where I would like to stay in West Yellowstone is booked thru August so Labor Day is a good target.

Thanks for great info. Safe traveling.

John H

taoshum said:
If you take a cycle to YNP in August, be prepared to creep along at a few mph or wait for time measured in hours when you encounter a Bison Jam or some other traffic jam.  If you ride an air cooled HD, as many do, at the YNP elevation, on a sunny day, in a Bison Jam, the engine will get really hot...  Also note that that the speed limit never exceeds 45 mph, but actually you'll be lucky to go that fast.  On the big plus side though, parking a cycle will be trivial compared to a regular vehicle.  We'd suggest heading into the Park, no later than sunrise, get where you're going early...earlier than sunrise would be cool.  Note that if someone sees a bear, you can expect a BearJam of surprising duration.  Take plenty of water.

I've looked at several YouTube videos about encounters with bison, bear, moose and other critters. Some w/ MC's; make me a little concerned about cycling thru the park. Things appear to come to a complete stop. I have been directed to get some bear spray. Now I'm thinking about slowing my trip and arriving after Labor Day traffic dissipates. Thanks for the heads up on early riding due to heat.

John H

Consider staying a few miles outside of West Yellowstone at Lake Hepken Holiday Resort. 
It's 15 minutes from the entrance to Yellowstone National Park, and is right on a lake, where you can fish, rent a boat etc.  Very well run RV park/campground.

Been there 2 or 3 times, and enjoyed it each time.

Here's the link: http://www.yellowstoneholiday.com

Why fight the crowds?

Ron and Joyce in Florida

Hi John --

Checked on availability at Grizzly after Labor Day and found that reservations are much higher than usual.  Only a few each day available for a 3 or more day stay.  I'd suggest making reservations, either at Grizzly or elsewhere as soon as you can.  Except for KOA, Grizzly and the other Parks of which I am aware have a liberal cancellation policy so you've nothing to lose by getting set up now.

We'll look forward to meeting you when you get to West Yellowstone, whether or not you elect to stay at Grizzly!

Don

Another good place to stay is Henry's Lake State Park, an Idaho State Park. We have stayed there several times and it has always been a good experience.

Bill

If you can survive without hookups, Baker's Hole is a Forest Service campground 3 miles north of West Yellowstone. Lovely place but no reservations. There even are a few electric sites! Get there early in the morning (especially on a week day) and you can probably find something. There are also a number of campgrounds on Hebgen Lake just a few miles farther. Henry's Lake is a nice place, but you will spend an awful lot of time driving back and forth. We came through Yellowstone. Few days ago headed to Bozeman, MT, and I was surprised there were a number of RV sites available at 8:30 am in the east side no reseration campgrounds. We also saw lots of open sites in the no reservation campgrounds just a few miles east of Cooke City. Note that you really don't want to come to Cooke City from Red Lodge with a RV unless you are a very, very experienced mountain driver. Even if you are, the number of idiots who can not stay in their own lane around blind corners will scare the most experienced driver to death! We had come up the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, joined the Beartooth Scenic Byway past the really nasty stuff, and stayed a few days just east of the junction at a lovely Forest Service campground at Sibley Lake. It never filled up the entire time we were there.

If you come in September, make sure you check for campground closing dates. Some of the ones in the high country close pretty early.

Back
Top Bottom