Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whirlwind

I'm going to be heading out west for the summer.  Last year I had the opportunity to go by Yellowstone for only a couple of days (and it rained the entire time).  I stayed just outside of Grand Teton.

This year I want to stay at Fishing Bridge.  I'd also like to stay somewhere near the Lamar Valley area of the park (I'm a wildlife/nature photographer).

Any suggestions re: a campground near Lamar Valley?  I know it will most likely have to be outside of the park.  Gardiner looks like a good possibility. 

Any suggestions re: roads to avoid in and around the park because of steep grades?  I do have the Good Sam book that details road conditions, and have found it a very good resource.  However, nothing beats info from folks on the board.

Thanks for any insight.

Peggy

You did not state if you must have hookups or not. If you want hookups then go to Gardiner. There are several campgrounds without hookups close to Lamar Valley.

If you are a wildlife photographer I would suggest spending a few days at the Grand Tetons. It doesn't get any better (photo wise) than Oxbow Bend at sunset.

I'd "like" to have hookups, but I could certainly manage for awhile without them.  I'm towing my old 1956 Yellowstone trailer (23 footer). 

I agree with you Tom, Grand Teton is beautiful!  I was at Oxbow Bend for two sunrises and one sunset (but again, it rained the entire time I was in the area).  I will definitely try that again.

Where do you like to stay when in Grand Teton?

You have some amazing shots in your portfolio!  I especially like the one of the Great Blue Heron and the moon. 

Peggy

Although neither have hookups, Slough Creek c.g. is in the Lamar Valley, and Pebble Creek c.g. (my favorite) is just north of the Lamar Valley. You can often see mountain goats from your camp site there. The nearby short hike to Trout Lake is excellent for photography. In spring and early summer, you can photograph spawning trout and the otters that they attract.

The long time host at Pebble Creek is a very knowledgeable wildlife photographer, and he loves to talk. He could give you advice about where to go to find wildlife.

Fox Creek is a very nice National Forest camp ground that does have hookups and rarely fills up. It is about 10 miles east of Cooke City. That would make it within an hour to Lamar Valley.

While you are there, don't miss the drive over the Beartooth on hwy. 212 from the N.E. entrance at Silver Gate to Red Lodge, MT. At 10,000', this is my choice as the most spectacular road in the lower 48. Along the way, a stop at the Top of the World Store is worth a few minutes. On the way back, the Cooke City Cafe has marvelous food and a beer list that runs to several pages.

The one really steep grade that you will encounter in the Park is over Dunraven Pass. However, go slow and it should not be a problem.

Joel

I love the Lamar Valley!!!!  My son takes his 19' travel trailer into both Slough Creek and Pebble Creek with it; although Pebble Creek is tighter.  If I recall there are more grizzlies in the Lamar Valley than other areas of Yellowstone.  Cooke City is really cute and fun, too.  If you decide to stay in those areas be sure and follow the bear "rules".

I second taking the Beartooth Highway drive.  If fact after you leave leave YS and start on Highway 212 (Beartooth Highway) there are several campgrounds that are really nice.  FYI Beartooth is steep and with lots of curves.  If you continue on down Beartooth you'll reach Red Lodge which is also a great little city.

If you decide on Fishing Bridge, you need to make reservation NOW.  It could be booked already.

Marsha~

Whirlwind said:
Where do you like to stay when in Grand Teton?
I used to stay at Colter Bay Campground. It is in the middle of the park, close to Oxbow Bend and right on a big lake. Jenny Lake is one of the prettiest campgrounds you will ever see but it is tent only. The other campgrounds are not very close to the critters. Now that I can afford it I will be staying at Colter Bay RV Park. It is pricey, about $55 a night. You never need reservations for the campground except maybe on holidays. Other times it rarely gets half full. The RV park does fill and you will need reservations.

Thanks everyone for all of the info so far.  I've got some research to do tonight.

A quick look at my "Mountain Directory West" description of the Beartooth Hwy has me a little bit scared of pulling the Gypsy (my old trailer) over that road.  Can anyone give me any firsthand insight re: pulling a rig over that highway?  Otherwise I may do that road as a sightseeing day trip while camping in Yellowstone.

Thanks again, I do appreciate the responses!

Peggy

Whirlwind said:
Thanks everyone for all of the info so far.  I've got some research to do tonight.

A quick look at my "Mountain Directory West" description of the Beartooth Hwy has me a little bit scared of pulling the Gypsy (my old trailer) over that road.  Can anyone give me any firsthand insight re: pulling a rig over that highway?  Otherwise I may do that road as a sightseeing day trip while camping in Yellowstone.

Peggy

I recommend the day trip.

Whirlwind said:

Peggy

The grades are long and very winding, but they are not as steep as many. Dunraven Pass in Yellowstone is probably steeper. I have done the Beartooth several times on a motorcycle (darn near froze) and many times in a 19' class B. Many people do pull trailers over it with no trouble, but for you first time there, doing it as a day trip would probably be a good idea.

Joel

"A quick look at my "Mountain Directory West" description of the Beartooth Hwy has me a little bit scared of pulling the Gypsy (my old trailer) over that road.  Can anyone give me any firsthand insight re: pulling a rig over that highway?  Otherwise I may do that road as a sightseeing day trip while camping in Yellowstone "

Yes Whirlwind .
I would do that one as a day trip . In fact I will be doing it later this spring .
I took that rout many years ago with a 61 Ford bus with a 6 cylinder engine and 3 speed transmission that I had converted to a motorhome , It was a beautiful trip . The only problem it was a bit slow 1st gear all the way up . We stopped half way up by a little creek and spent the night then continued on our way the next day .
While going to the top I decided to pull over at a small loop on the out side near he drop offs .
That was a mistake . Every time I tried to pull out I started rolling backwards . I finally had to find somethings to block the wheels and ride the clutch to get going .
Going down to Red Lodge 1st gear all the way . When I reached Red Lodge a gent came over to admire all the animals that were painted on my bus . He than asked me " Did you come over there in that " gesturing to the mountains . I said Yes I sure did . He just shook his head and smiled .
This time I will be driving my little Aveo and We will be enjoying the trip much better

Take Care Bill

Teton Pass from Driggs to Jackson is 10% both sides and about 5 miles each. It is a very nice surface with a few turnouts. There are switchbacks. It is somewhat of a "thrill" that demands focus. This is south of "The Park" and may come to bear in your travels depending on your approach or departure routes to & from the park. For sure 1st gear up & down.

Whirlwind said:

Peggy

I would also check the road construction on that highway we went over in in the toad in 2009 and spent
most of the time waiting for flagmen.  All the pull outs for viewing were filled with road equipment.  Very disappointing.  We had lunch in Red Lodge and ask the waitress for another way back and she gave us
the St Joseph Highway as a way around it.  Longer but definity much nicer.

Not A Clue said:
I would also check the road construction on that highway we went over in in the toad in 2009 and spent
most of the time waiting for flagmen.  All the pull outs for viewing were filled with road equipment.  Very disappointing.  We had lunch in Red Lodge and ask the waitress for another way back and she gave us the St Joseph Highway as a way around it.  Longer but definity much nicer.

The construction is almost completed. The summers of 2010 and 2011 both had only one short stretch of construction with minimal delays.

The Chief Joseph hwy. (not St. Joseph) is also very scenic, but not in the same class as the Beartooth. The drive from Red Lodge to the south end of the Chief Joseph is not in the mountains, and not at all scenic. If you do drive it, stop at the parking area by the Sunlight Creek bridge. The view from there is worth the time.

Joel

I encountered road construction last year, but it wasn't too bad.  Good to know that it is almost completed.

About the grades - I have done a number of 7% grades and feel comfortable with that.  But 10%?  I'll probably never do that unless I'm just in a vehicle (not towing).  Call me a weenie driver if you want to, but hey, it is what it is. 

I am very comfortable on the road with my rig, and have crossed the country twice with it so far.  But I don't want to get into any situation that I can't handle.  I'm not sure my Durango could pull my trailer up a grade like that.  I can just see myself getting stuck and backing up traffic because I can't move.  That would really make me the most popular girl of the day. 

Going down the 7% grades, I have to use my brakes very little, downshifting works nicely.  Not sure that would be the case descending something steeper.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to tackle some route that has a "steeper than I've done, but short in distance" route. 

Does anyone else worry about this sort of thing?

Tonight I found a site that had some very helpful information on roads, routes, etc.  Here is the link, in case anyone else is interested.

http://www.rvcruzer.com/ystonervroutes.php

Miss Whirlwind I am in my first year of driving / owning the RV so Teton Pass was definitely worthy of a good fret. I was not comfortable till we flattened out again (beware the false flats with a BIG turn if you are going Driggs>Jackson direction), but it was a powerful learning experience and I would not hesitate to do that pass again. Thanks for the cruzer link. That guys site is really useful & cool.

if you have any doubt  don't do it .just make it a day trip and save your nerves . it is not a road to be afraid on, lots of grade,curves and traffic

Slough Creek and Pebble Creek campgrounds have already been mentioned. Tower Campground is also near the Lamar Valley and is located near a general store, fuel station and the historic Roosevelt Lodge. All three of these campgrounds are first come first serve and generator use is prohibited.

If you drive the Beartooth and Chief Joseph Scenic Highways loop in your tow vehicle without the trailer, you will have a much easier time getting into an out of the overlook areas and will also feel less pressed to get to your stop for the night. You can also take some hikes without worrying about leaving your home at the trail head. It will also give you a good idea of whether that is the route you want to use when you do have to take the trailer with you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim Dunn
Back
Top Bottom