Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skirk55

My wife and I went t Yellowstone this September. We had a wonderful trip. Today we we thinking in two years we go back. But we are thinking going in late November. Anyone out there visit the park in November?

By early November most of the interior roads are closed to prepare for the winter season. Probably the only entrance open will be the north entrance. The park winter season usually starts mid December. Access by snow coach.

ken

We want to pull a fifth wheel and stay around yellowstone. We want to see elk in the winter. We want to go to Jacksonhole and visit the elk refuge. I do not want to get caught in a snow storm. We have pulled our fifth wheel in the snow a few years ago.,

Here we were in West Yellowstone in June this year, the temperature the days before were in the seventies, that is how quick it can change at that elevation.

Ed

Attachments

• West Yellowstone June 2012.jpg
    West Yellowstone June 2012.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 116
Kirk
I work in Yellowstone pretty much year round, we have a little over two months off, early Nov to Mid Dec and mid March to mid April.  #1, if you want to come in Nov, make it the first of Nov, this year we closed the gates on Nov 4th.  (all but north gate, open year round),  camping in this area of the park is all closed, but still some places open in West Yellowstone.  If you go up to the northern entrance, you will be going in from Rt 90.

Want to visit in winter and no snow for 5th wheel?  Wait for the global warming to really kick in.  OR, park it down in SLC area (still snow), and drive the TV up, then take the snow coach in.  Stop in at the bookstore at Old Faithful to say hello and have a coffee.

We were there this last September. It was the best trip we ever had. Glacier was very nice but more wildlife at yellowstone. If there is too much snow I think we will just take my truck. We has a good time at jacksonhole also. I did not like cody near as much.

Just out of curiosity, why the lack of interest in Cody? Usually folks are relieved to get out of the high cost traffic nightmare that is the norm in Jackson.

If staying outside the Park and wanting to visit IN the park, West Yellowstone is best bet.  Cody is also expensive and really far from anything in the park.

If you go to ''Jellystone'' in Septober you will probably get ''snown'' on. (snown is the past tents of ''snoweded'' on.)
We went there one year in Juned and got ''snoweded'' on one day about 3 inches deap but it melded and want awahy.  It was fun there but u can not fish at ''fishin bridge''.
I godda get my spelt checker fixed on thes keebroad ......cj

Thank you vets for the service you did for this country .......

skirk55 said:
Cody was not for us. But that is our feelings nothing against Cody.

I'm sorry to hear that but I understand, I feel the same way about Jackson, both towns used to be such nice little places.  It's unfortunate but there are some folks around town now that dread tourist season, my wife and I actually enjoy sitting on the front porch and watching the show.  We especially enjoy talking to the folks from "flat states" and getting their impressions of places like the Beartooth Highway or Sylvan Pass. We've actually run into people up on top of the passes that were almost too terrified to drive down. Not in RV's mind you but cars and sometimes even motorcycles.

Yellowstone itself is a great place and I'm glad I got the chance to grow up in and around the park but sadly I don't go through that gate very much anymore, the traffic has become almost prohibitive in the summer months and given that I travel by motorcycle whenever possible the early and late seasons when traffic is diminished can be less than the perfect time when you don't have windows or a heater. The absolute BEST time to see the park though is in the dead of winter but since they banned private sleds in the park years ago that also doesn't happen. Although I did get to take my wife through by snowmobile the winter prior to the ban, that's a trip she'll never forget.

We are going to see Yellowstone in the winter. I am nor sure with or without  the 5wheel. I spent 20 years driving a truck in winter mking a living so the snow is something to take care in. The wild life was more than we ever expectied! I never thought I would be looking for winter.

There are/used to be some nice little motels in West Yellowstone and in the winter they're pretty hungry especially since the ban on sleds in the park was initiated. I personally would not bring my 5th wheel up to the park in the winter, besides the fact that most if not all campgrounds/RV parks are closed for the winter. By staying in West you could easily hop a snowcoach for a tour of the park or rent sleds to explore the West Yellowstone area, they've got hundreds of miles of groomed trails and you can go as extreme or as tame as you like on a rental sled. Another cute little town that hasn't changed much over the years is Gardner Montana on the North Gate although since I've never stayed there I can't speak to the accomodations if any, also since the road from Gardner to Silvergate (north east entrance) is kept open in the winter I'm not sure if they've got snowcoach tours or sled rentals to speak of there. The LAST place I'd pick for a destination in the winter would be Jackson. The winter ski season and the influx of "Beautiful People" mean that accomodations will be pricey.

We're also planning a trip with some time at Yellowstone for next year.  I've got a tentative itinerary which includes 3 nights in each of the following:  Beaver Creek Campground (north of West Yellowstone),  West Yellowstone and tour the west side of the park from there,  in the park somewhere and in Cody to use as a base for exploring the Beartooth Hwy.

I'm trying to decide when to make the trip which starts in southern Indiana and includes Glacier, Yellowstone & Black Hills.  I'm leaning toward early August into Sept and need to stick to pretty close to a 30 day timeline. I know we won't scratch much more than the surface but that gives us a reason to go again.  ;)

Well, if you get into the park to Old Faithful in the winter, or anytime for that matter, look me up, I manage the bookstore in the Visitor Center there.  I am a day away from heading back to the park.  There is not a total ban on sleds by the way, just unguided sleds.  You can book overnights or day trips from West Yellowstone.

skirk55 said:
We want to pull a fifth wheel and stay around yellowstone. We want to see elk in the winter. We want to go to Jacksonhole and visit the elk refuge. I do not want to get caught in a snow storm. We have pulled our fifth wheel in the snow a few years ago.,

We were there in Sept. 2010, riding motorcycles in our t-shirts.  Up over Bear Tooth Pass we had our heated gear on.

We want to do Yellowstone in the snow (light snow) just so we can see the wolves playing.  The first winter I retire (four and a half years but who's counting) we'll be spending a couple of weeks there.....what ever it takes.

Can you share your experience of towing your 5th wheel in the snow?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom