Your opinion please - prebuy inspection on new motorhome??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerE

We are getting ready to place a deposit on a new 2014 Winnebago Journey 42E.  We are considering hiring a professional inspector to do a pre-buy inspection similar to what one would do for a used motorhome.  We are not so much concerned with whether we should buy the coach or not, but rather want to make sure that any issues as it came from the factory are identified and (hopefully) fixed before we take delivery and start living in it full time.  We have not owned a motorhome previously, although we have been researching and making preparations for a couple of years.  Your opinions, please.  Do you think a prebuy inspection makes sense or not, and why?

The dealer is normally responsible for performing a PDI (pre delivery inspection), during which issues should be found and subsequently fixed. Some PDI techs are quite competent, although many of us have experienced issues that should have been caught during the PDI, but weren't.

One thing you might consider, time permitting, is not wandering too far from the dealership. Use the RV, staying at a nearby campground, and make a list of all the things that need to be fixed before returning to the dealer.

We have checklists in our forum Library (buttton above) that might help you do your own PDI after the dealer's tech, and before you pay your money.

Checking out the library for a PDI checklist is a terrific idea! We failed to do that with our first RV purchase and missed a crucial point - stink bug infestation! We were told that a few bugs had gotten in while our new View class C was parked in the lot for sale. Never having even seen or heard of that insect, Gary and I were really spooked,but Dealer said they were all exterminated. We were on our first cross-country trip, 2,000 miles from home when Spring arrived. Suddenly, we were invaded by the little critters who had hitch-hiked along from Virginia. it took Months to locate the huge nest under the hood near the air intake!

If you don't feel comfortable with your own ability to recognize potential issues, then hiring a pro (or getting a more knowledgeable friend to come along) is probably a good idea. Better, though, is simply spending a few days in the RV, either on the dealer lot or a nearby campground. You will find more in actual use than any other way. But download a copy of the buyer checklist from the forum Library anyway, to use both in the PDI and in your first few days of use.

We recommend staying at the dealer or very close by for the first 2-3 days because you get a lot more attention from the dealer that way. Even the best of them tend to push you to the back of their priority list once you are out of sight for a week. Typically, some other buyer gets their attention and you then have to fight to get back in line.

Marciamerita,
Welcome to the forum. Glad you found your problem so they ain't bugging you any more.

RogerE,
I would take a video cam with me (the minimum a voice recorder) when you do your final inspection/walk through. Just remember if it starts as you final if you find to much that isn't right it could be your next to final walk through. I would get every thing fixed before giving them the check or singing any paper work. Once you do you loose a lot of your leverage on getting things fixed. Never leave with out written statements as to what will be fixed and when. Don't be so anxious to get your new toy that you let them hurry you through the process.
Bill

Before signing anything and before driving it off the lot, go through the motorhome inch-by-inch.  Try everything to make sure it works and to make sure you understand how it works (written notes and videos help for later when you can't remember).  As others have said, take your checklist and go through it item-by-item.  Don't let them rush you through it.  We bought two Monacos (pre-bankruptcy) and had factory delivery which was worth every penny.  On the second one the tech was up on the roof and discovered they had put in one 13,400 btu air conditioner when we had ordered 15,000s.  Seems there had been a problem on the production line and our 15,000 had been shifted to another coach.  We had it changed before taking delivery.  I realize this will be a delivery at the dealer, but the idea is the same.  YOU have to be the final say on whether the motorhome is equipped the way it was ordered and the way it was promised so do your due diligence and do not accept it if there is anything major wrong.

ArdraF

Tom said:
The dealer is normally responsible for performing a PDI (pre delivery inspection), during which issues should be found and subsequently fixed. Some PDI techs are quite competent, although many of us have experienced issues that should have been caught during the PDI, but weren't.

One thing you might consider, time permitting, is not wandering too far from the dealership. Use the RV, staying at a nearby campground, and make a list of all the things that need to be fixed before returning to the dealer.

We have checklists in our forum Library (buttton above) that might help you do your own PDI after the dealer's tech, and before you pay your money.

Thanks for your thoughts.  We definitely plan to stay close by for a couple of weeks.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If you don't feel comfortable with your own ability to recognize potential issues, then hiring a pro (or getting a more knowledgeable friend to come along) is probably a good idea. Better, though, is simply spending a few days in the RV, either on the dealer lot or a nearby campground. You will find more in actual use than any other way. But download a copy of the buyer checklist from the forum Library anyway, to use both in the PDI and in your first few days of use.

We recommend staying at the dealer or very close by for the first 2-3 days because you get a lot more attention from the dealer that way. Even the best of them tend to push you to the back of their priority list once you are out of sight for a week. Typically, some other buyer gets their attention and you then have to fight to get back in line.

I like the idea of taking a more knowledgable friend, and we do plan to stay close to the dealer for a week or two.  Thanks!

Roger, where is the dealer located? You might be lucky enough to have a nearby forum member who would be willing to join you during the walk-through as the "knowledgeable friend". Several forum members have done that for others here.

Whoa nellie. Never owned a MH before? Hopefully you owned some sort of RV before. Jumping into high dollar MH and never owned a RV before then admitting you are inexperienced in that area is a little scary.

Tom said:
Roger, where is the dealer located? You might be lucky enough to have a nearby forum member who would be willing to join you during the walk-through as the "knowledgeable friend". Several forum members have done that for others here.

Good idea!  Camping World in Ft. Myers FL

Wyotraveler said:
Whoa nellie. Never owned a MH before? Hopefully you owned some sort of RV before. Jumping into high dollar MH and never owned a RV before then admitting you are inexperienced in that area is a little scary.

I appreciate your concern.  Have done everything but own a motorhome - backpacking, tent camping, pop-up trailer, hard sided trailer.  We did a lot of thinking and research before we made the decision.  We plan to live full time in the coach for at least two or three years, and have read lots of stories about people who started smaller and moved soon moved up.  It also has the floor plan and features that my DW wants, including a bath and one half (she won't share). 

I took a day-long driving class at Lazydays in Tampa where I drove a 40 foot diesel pusher and was quite comfortable using the system that they teach.  I am also an engineer (bachelor and master), have owned airplanes in the past, and am not intimidated by the systems.  I have read the owners manual for this coach a couple of times and am still coming up with more questions. 

My real concern in thinking about the pre-buy inspection is that there will be things that we don't recognize that should be fixed that will inconvenience us once we move in and start living int he coach.  We would just rather get them all out of the way up front, and while we still have some leverage over the dealer, i.e. the big check.

Driving the RV is not the concern. You are buying a unusually complex house that happens to be on wheels, and your inexperience with the house electrical and plumbing systems, and appliances, make you vulnerable. I think you are wise to seek help.

Roger,

I am going to offer you another perspective that is not in contradiction to what you are hearing but possibly more in line with your situation. As pilots, we routinely buy and fly airplanes with extremely complex systems based on the inspections of knowledgeable people that we want to trust and based on our own appreciation of systems, complex and otherwise. Pre buy inspections with knowledgeable folks as well as culling through the information here on this Forum is how we started, from scratch, three years ago with a diesel pusher, having spent a grand total of one night in an RV.

As suggested, we stayed closed to home, worked through the little bugs, and some larger ones that would not have been found otherwise, and then set off, full time, learning quickly as we went. We are now in our fourth year, on our second coach, and have no intention of slowing down anytime soon.

We have profited immensely from our friends and research here, and have learned that there is not just one way to skin a cat or live this lifestyle. Your ability to adapt and improvise as you move forward is going to very key and you will learn to separate fact from fiction pretty quickly, just like you did when flying. Hangar flying is one thing, then there's you hanging in the straps trying to get your wits about you several thousand feet in the air.

Fortunately for the RV life, there are not so many potentially life threatening decisions to be made as when flying, but your willingness to research and admit what you don't know will carry you a long ways during all the little things that happen as your drive your home down the road. And there will be some.

There is plenty of exposure to making any large financial commitment, and RV's are as big a black hole as any airplane. Take your time, listen closely, and choose wisely. You won't be disappointed with having taken the extra steps and having done lots of homework.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Driving the RV is not the concern. You are buying a unusually complex house that happens to be on wheels, and your inexperience with the house electrical and plumbing systems, and appliances, make you vulnerable. I think you are wise to seek help.

Thanks for your thoughts, Gary.  The problem with experience is there is only one way to get it - one hour and one day at a time.  I have been working hard for some time to learn as much as I can before we make a purchase, but I am sure that I will learn more in the first week after we start living in a motorhome than I have in the last year reading and talking about it.

It's a good idea to have the unit checked before signing the final papers. And be sure that the work is accomplished. Lazydays in Florida is notorious for cutting corners and making unfulfilled promises. I finally wrote a letter to the president/CEO who actually made good on money I had to spend elsewhere to get repairs done right. The salesman ... well, I never heard from him again. Now that I'm lookingh for a 40-plus foot diesel pusher I will be taking my business elsewhere. Their loss, my gain.

Echoing Tom and Gary, some RV centers have their own campgrounds where you can stay a couple of days. In FL, with RE so tight, probably not the case but you might even dry camp a couple of days there.  It will drive them nuts, but, and so....?
When I bought mine the two issues I had the most problem with were the power night shades and levelers. Had to take it back twice to figure out the night shade and it needed to be calibrated twice.  The levelers I found that the 'auto' wasn't really 'auto' and had to learn it. Each unit is different so won't go into it.  Also had to learn to 'burp' the LP line so the fridge would work on gas.  None of the problems were anything major, just taking it up the Saluda Grade each time was gas spent, time, and a general PITA.
As someone said in the post, there are so many moving parts and the more you can understand upfront the better.  Sounds like you are an aware buyer.
P.S. While visiting my son in FL we went to an RV sales center. They had the huge RV's parked on a lot where they were one foot from each other, head to tail, side to side. If I wanted to torture someone I'd ask to see the one right in the middle and drive it.  Fortunately for all concerned I don't have a sadistic nature.

Given the numerous situations being shared on this and other forums about the quality of those new MH being delivered to the customers it is prudent to have it inspected by someone with no bias to the sale. That new warranty is great, but if you spend all your time dealing with issue after issue and not being able to enjoy the new rig as you intended you probably would have walked away before signing on the dotted line and taking possession of it.

Any issues or potential issues you can identify and have rectified before driving off the lot the better off you are. Once you've signed on the dotted line, left your final payment and your tail lights are out of sight, a great deal of the responsibility is lifted off the delivering dealership as they aren't equipped or facilitated to do what might be needed. Which means now its up to you to chase down resources to resolve any issues with the various components that make up the MH...chassis, engine, frig, stove, HVAC...etc. If there is a problem and its identified before taking delivery, then that responsibility falls on the dealer and the mfr. Its nothing like buying a new car and taking it to the dealership where you bought it where they can fix or replace just about anything.

Pre buy inspection, with your own inspector is a good idea. But I have learned the hard way to make sure they can park the old rig next to the new, so I can transfer goods in a slow proper manner, AC on if needed in both. Amazing how much stuff we carry, and hard to put it all away properly. The "show and tell" walkthrough is best after you have had a chance to well look it over. and if they cannot provide at least 2-3 days to do all this you are shopping aft the wrong place, don't expect it to get better later!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Khenry88
Back
Top Bottom