Yucatan/Mexico 08 with Brewers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a fun day, Betty  ;D!! Sounds like traveling in Mexico in an RV is NOT for sissies.

I do like the term "returno".....Spanish for U-turn??

Wendy
San Onofre SB

As Betty named the day, "Adventure" describes traveling in Mexico.

March 4, 2008   Free Day in Costa Esmeralda

Today we enjoyed a much-needed free day with no structured activities.  It was a cool cloudy overcast day at the beach.  Many errands were completed and I slept in.  A wonderful hamburger feed was held tonight and we welcomed the homemade French fries and expert chefs.  Following the meal, Goofy went to Jim and Susan because here we are on day 43 of a 46-day trip and he finally learned how to use his CB radio to transmit.  Now we may hear from him on the road.  Sandy (Mrs. Pepper) organized a fantastic auction and Bob T ( in costume)  served as auctioneer while Mike( also in drag)  was the Vanna White for the items.  The items auctioned off were actually souvenirs many had purchased and now had second thoughts about even wanting them!  Zillions of laughs were had as we got into bidding wars with each other and ourselves. We have to pay up tomorrow. At the end of the evening, Jerry provided a most touching moment.  Jerry has a broken foot and used a colorful carved cane for the better part of the trip.  He and Connie worked in Rehabilitation Therapy for 25 years and know how disabilities can conquer people or people can conquer disabilities.  He awarded the    ?man of men among us? tribute to Les as one who has overcome so much more than most of us ever could.  Jerry gave his cane to Les, which Les had come to admire.  We gave Les a standing ovation.  We called it an early night as we have along travel day tomorrow. 

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven: 0
  Temperatures: High 77   Low 66   Humidity 88%   
       GPS Coordinates: N 20 17 03.6   W   96 49 44.5

Attachments

• Auction0001 (Small) (2).JPG
    Auction0001 (Small) (2).JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Auction0002 (Small).JPG
    Auction0002 (Small).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Auction0003 (Small).JPG
    Auction0003 (Small).JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Auction0004 (Small).JPG
    Auction0004 (Small).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Auction0005 (Small).JPG
    Auction0005 (Small).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Auction0006 (Small).JPG
    Auction0006 (Small).JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Auction0007 (Small).JPG
    Auction0007 (Small).JPG
    30 KB · Views: 50
  • Auction0008 (Small).JPG
    Auction0008 (Small).JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Auction0009 (Small).JPG
    Auction0009 (Small).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Auction0010 (Small).JPG
    Auction0010 (Small).JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Auction0011 (Small).JPG
    Auction0011 (Small).JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 61
Wow Betty, I'm exhausted just reading your adventures.  Seems hard to believe it's almost over.  I will miss catching up each day.  Thank you for thinking of us with your journal.

JoAnn

I must admit, I enjoy listening to your journal while viewing the pictures at the same time.

I use Alive Text to Speech software with a toolbar inside Internet Explorer that I click after highlighting your daily text journal and the program converts the text to a spoken voice. The photo comes to life having the background voice describe in so much detail of your adventure with the accompanying pictures. Although the program needs additional functionality to distinguish a spoken voice from a song, Old MacDonald?s Farm was still delightful to listen.

On a second thought, have Terry convert the text to speech and save it as mp3 files for his next slide shows.

Finally, more pix for the Moreau's, Carri?re's and friends... almost over and I'm still trying to catch-up with the downloading, cropping and cleaning all those photos.. not to mention backing a copy onto CD's... here are a few you might enjoy !  Don't laugh too hard.... Then those favorites that I have to print for my album.  This will probably take me a year to complete.... oh but what wonderful memories !! 

Attachments

• DVC00606.JPG
    DVC00606.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 52
  • P2171445.JPG
    P2171445.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 55
  • P2171450.JPG
    P2171450.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 48
  • P2191486.JPG
    P2191486.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 46
  • P2191491.JPG
    P2191491.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 48
More pix ... hope the groupies are not angry with me for posting pictures of our new bathing gear cover-ups. Just had to share.  Oh well, they can't do me too much harm at this point in time. Two days left of the trip then we part and we are on to another period of our lives.  It`s been a great trip and we have made such great friends.
Annette & Fern.

Attachments

• P2221696.JPG
    P2221696.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 59
  • P2221720.JPG
    P2221720.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P2231776.JPG
    P2231776.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 49
  • P2231830.JPG
    P2231830.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 56
  • P2231832.JPG
    P2231832.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 53
March 5, 2008  Travel Day to Tampico

We left early and I sort of dreaded traveling this road as when we traveled this road many weeks ago it was so terrible.  It?s funny how things look different going the other direction.  Many potholes had been fixed and we took a bit of a different route. We left at 7 am and arrived at 3:40 pm.  It was not raining so that made a difference. We arrived at he Country Express Hotel Parking lot and the group did a hobo dinner of soup.  Lane made corn bread to go with the dinner. Werner and Phoebe watched the pot boil.  Pat set up his TV to show the DVD that Terry had made of the entire trip.  At the trip briefing each couple was given a copy of the DVD.  Pat and Alice gave each couple a souvenir of photos from the trip and room for even more memories.  Ted and Ann arrived late with Hex and Sandy as his alternator acted up again.  We?re convinced they love attention of a late arrival. Terry and I skipped the group soup as he had a rib eye in mind from our past trip here.  Tomorrow is our farewell dinner.  It is amazing how fast 46 days can go. 

While at the Hotel restaurant tonight, we met 3 people from Lubbock Texas.  We told them we have others on our trip  from that city.  They had left 3 am and had already traveled 700 miles today.  They help at a clinic in Chiapas and do eye surgery for the people there.  They were only stopping for dinner and were going to drive on another 200 miles to be closer to Lubbec.  Some people really know how to make a difference.  We agreed that we kiss USA ground when we arrive and our washer and dryers. Life is good.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  230
  Temperatures: High 83  Low 61 
      GPS Coordinates: N 22 30.170    W  98 07.100

March 6, 2008  Travel Day to CD Victoria

I?m having push pull emotions today.  I don?t want the trip to be over but I want to ?go home.?  Tonight is our Farewell dinner so the end is very near.  As we drove our short distance today we were all happy to arrive at an RV Park before noon.  It gives us the afternoon to unwind and reflect and get ready to say our good byes tonight.  During the travel morning we noted that we are back in the desert portion of Mexican climate and the scrub brush is dry along here.  We see the contrast of new cell phone towers with herds of goats being tended by a farmer on his donkey walking underneath. We see many donkeys tied up along the road acting as grass cutters. We see organ pipe cactus and lots of prickly pear cactus. We passed by a marker signifying we were at the Tropic of Cancer.  We traveled this road almost 6 weeks ago and I have no memory of it.  Everything still looks like Mexico.  There are plastic bags on the ground and litter is present.  We are used to it.  We are counting the number of pesos we have to trade back and still allow enough to fill up one more time with fuel. Mexican diesel prices are better than those in US so we want to top off.
At the trip briefing we broke into 2 groups to head out early in the morning for the border. We took two busses to a very nice restaurant and said our thank yous and ?farewell until we meet again? words.  We celebrated Marilyn Long?s birthday.  We gave the Goofy permanently to Fern and Annette.  Mike and Eileen tied with Bob and Lane for Care Bear Awards, Chicken will live forever with John and Marilyn and Shirley keeps the unending glass.  Walter, Terry and Ted were acknowledged for providing Internet access to the group this whole time.  It was nice to keep in touch with family and friends and to pay our bills while gone for such a long time. Terry was able to get a satellite signal every day on the trip.  Pat and Alice gave a vote of confidence to our trainees Bob and Trish who completed the training with flying colors and we will look forward to having them as a wagon master or tail gunner on any other trip. Pat and Alice thanked Hex and Sandy for providing such terrific back up support.  Alice spoke kindly about each person on the trip.  Pat said it was a hard trip and he was appreciative that so many had been so helpful, kind and flexible to make lifelong friends and memories for all.  A group of us sang a tribute to the trip.  Lyrics are courtesy of Bruce, Barb, Sherry, Shirley and Eileen.

YUCATAN 2008

The adventure began and ended in Pharr
and in between we saw it all
Including the ruins one by one
The challenge to some climbers was surely won

The road from Tampico was the worst we would find
Topes and pot holes were taxing the mind
Club Nautica was a beautiful park
Our super bowl party continued way past dark

Vera Cruz beach had lots of trash
with helping hands it disappeared in a flash
We gathered up kindling and lots of logs
Then enjoyed the fire and Mexican hot dogs

To Chichen Itza with a guide
Smart people with lots of pride
A ferry ride to Islea Mujeres
Riding golf carts was a pleasure

Xel-Ha had water, food and fun
Something there for everyone
The new figures for the girls
Had everyones head in a twirl

Off to Belize 35 of us went
Fun on a boat and ruins was spent
When we returned we were welcomed back
By a bunch of cross dressers that entered the pact

In Oaxaca we stayed in a park
The pigs smelled even after dark
The roosters crowed to give us warning
Whether it was at night or early morning

Apart from that we had great busy days
The rugs, wood carvers and pottery left us amazed
We decorated a table with flowers
and served drinks for two hours

The travel log we thought we could live by
But from Pueblo we found it to be a lie
Thru mountains & towns we wished we could shrink
At the end of a long day we were glad to drink

Our leaders of Pat and Alice,  Hex and Sandy too
Came thru with colors like red, white and blue
We'll keep the memories of these four
And praises for them more and more

The trip is now in the past
46 days of having a blast
New Friendships made that will never end.
Travel home safe with God's blessings we send.

Chorus:

Eye eye eye
Round the Yucatan we travelled
We had lots of fun, we sat in the sun
and we all drank margaritas.

Statistics:
Motorhome Miles Driven:  117
  Temperatures: High 101  Low 61 
      GPS Coordinates: N 23 44.603      W  99 08.197

Attachments

• IMG_2308 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2308 (Small).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2310 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2310 (Small).JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2311 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2311 (Small).JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2313 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2313 (Small).JPG
    50 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2315 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2315 (Small).JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2316 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2316 (Small).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2317 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2317 (Small).JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2326 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2326 (Small).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2331 (Small) (2).JPG
    IMG_2331 (Small) (2).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 56
Betty & Terry,

Thanks so much for your travel logue and pictures. It was entertaining, educational and enjoyable to read. I made it a habbit that I would not go to bed before I  had read the latest daily issue. I only missed one night when I had to wait till the next morning  ;). I hope we have a chance to see the slide show in Moab.  I"m trying to tell Tom that he should get a 45ft 4 slide coach so that we have a little more space to watch Terry's DVD.
Be sure to top af that tank and maybe some additional 5 gallon contianers with diesel before you cross tyhe border, we are heading for $4-$5 gas prices.

Thanks again and welcome home.

Chris

I enjoyed every word and picture!  So glad you had a wonderful trip.  THANK YOU!!! 
Have a safe trip home.

JoAnn

Hi Betty,

Wonderful job on reporting your trip. Now I can say I've "been" there after reading about both of your trips. Welcome home!

Thanks Betty and Terry for a wonderful trip report and great pictures.  Looked forward to your report every day.  We look forward to seeing your slide show in the near future.  Ned and I are near our lot in Spring Branch north of San Antonio if you have time to stop we would love to see you.  Safe travels

Thanks so much for taking the time to take us along with you on your trip.  We're going to miss reading our "daily Betty".  Welcome back to the good ol' USA.

Margi

Betty and Terry !!! Thanks a bunch for allowing Kathy and I to  travel along with You and Mike and Eileen and all those other amazing folks. We looked forward every day to read and see and "travel along." SAFE TRAVELS TO EVERYONE on you'r continued trips!!

Betty,

Like many others we've been reading your posts every day.  Thanks for going to the trouble to spend all that time on the computer!!!!!!!!!  You did a great job.  We  feel like we've been down there with the group.  I've worked in southern Mexico....its beautiful (and humid)...... and we have always said that there is no way we would go down there on our own, however you have enlightened us to the extent that we might consider giving it a try.

Thanks again.

Larry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom