Zion, Bryce, and Sedona in November

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tioga5

We've started planning our upcoming trip and I thought we should consult with the experts before we plan further...  Our trip will take place November 23 - 28 and cover Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon.  The MH is a 22ft. class C with M+S rated tires.  Any advice on weather, MH preparation for the possible weather (chains, etc.) or any other foresseables, 'must see' places to visit, and any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Carlos

You will probably not have any trouble with Zion or Sedona in November, but Bryce for sure will be under snow, usualy by mid October. So far Oct, 24 no snow yet. Even with the snow threat it probably wont be a problem as the county plows do a good job on Hwy 14, 89 and 12. Rubys inn is open year round and has many active tourists then, it can be very enjoyable at that time, come prepared.>>>Dan  Cedar City, UT

I'm not clear on whether you plan on visiting the Grand Canyon or Sedona or both.  

Regardless, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon is most likely already closed...at least the Visitors Center and the campground.  The road to the North Rim does remain open until the first snow fall and then closes...the road is not plowed during the winter.  However, the South Rim remains open all year, although...depending on the weather...you could run into snow and it will almost certainly be cold (below freezing, at least at night).

As far as Sedona is concerned, that really depends on the weather.  Sedona does get snow in the winter, some years more than others, so you'll just have to keep an eye on the weather reports before making a decision whether or not to go there.

I have run into a full scale blizzard on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon during a Thanksgiving Day trip one year.   You may not have any problems but I would carry chains myself, or be ready to hunker down for a few days.

What you get will all depend on the Pacific storm track at the time.

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the advice on using chains.  Do you think I'll need to winterize and treat the water to avoid freezing?

Carlos

Not being familiar with your rig, I would not know for sure.  I haul a trailer with its fresh tank inside the heated portion of the trailer along with most of its plumbing.  Maybe some of the motorhomers can clue you in.

Carlos:
You didn't say what your route is and clearly utahclaimjumper knows the area better than I     B U T : Highway 12 from Boulder to Escalante is narrow and extremely curvy, with 14% grades.  I would not advise that route if winter weather is predicted.  A couple of weeks ago we saw a motorcycle go over the side, and the road was in perfect condition.  

Carlos, there are only three ways to enter Bryce,(Rubys or the park) all three use hwy 89. Are you coming from the south, north, or west?? Coming from the east thru Escalante would be a NO NO in winter, coming west from Cedar City is also not advised (9900 Ft.) so south or north from 89 and east on 12 would be the only way at that time of year.>>>Dan

You might want to skip Bryce and do Zion and Grand Canyon South Rim. We were at Zion last year in mid-November and it was absolutely gorgeous, mild days and cool nights. We've been at Grand Canyon in October and been snowed on, also had it be close to 90 degrees in October. November could be anything. But the canyon is beautiful in snow and in November it probably wouldn't last long. Keep an eye on the weather and be ready to dump your water if it's going to be too cold. We usually keep several gallon jugs of water in the motorhome to use. And since you'll be inside the motorhome, I'm assuming that you'll run the furnace to keep things inside (like yourselves) above freezing. We've never had chains for the motorhomes we've had. We tend to just park and wait if the roads get snowy.

Enjoy
Wendy

We tend top just park and wait if the roads get snowy.

A course of action that has considerable virtue.  It is after all a motorhome.  Home is a good place to stay if it snows.  ;D

Carlos, be aware the national weather service is predicting 14 inches of SNOW in our southern mountains tonight and thru wed. It looks like our winter has arrived alltho a little late for this area (5600 Feet)>>>D

Rain and snow headed this way for Tuesday and Wednesday with more for the weekend. Winter is on its way.

Wendy

Thank you Utahclaimjumper and Wendy for the forecast.  I think we'll just have to take it one-day-at-a-time and change our plans accordingly.

Carlos

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmrock824
Back
Top Bottom