Need some questions answered please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntcarol

Hi all I do not yet own a travel trailer but hubby and I are looking into owning one, the kind you pull along.  I have a Honda Odyssey van now and getting a Toyota Sienna in the near future.  Is there any particular travel trailer that would be best in my situation (light weight) .  We are retired and looking for one with say a queen size bed, tub etc.  not too big, say at least 24 ft.  We are looking for a decent used one that has heat and air conditioning.  I believe that there are ones out there that you can hook up to a van with just a hitch, no special transmissions.  Is that correct?  Also, we have a dog and when a campground says dogs welcomed , and I see that  most do now,  are you allowed to keep your dog in your trailer say if you go off the campground and  out to dinner or a movie or are you always required to take the dog where ever you go?  As a kid my folks had a trailer and we had a great time.  Thanks for all your help I appreciate it.
Carol

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the forum! I will let the experts talk about what you can or cannot tow. As far as dogs are concerned, most campgrounds do not require you to take the dog everytime you leave. However, the dog should be well behaved and not bark all the time you are gone. An occasional outburst usually isn't a problem but some dogs bark continually once the owner leaves which will create a bad situation with any campground.

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the RV Forum and thanks for joining us.  Please look around, ask questions, check out the library, and join in on any of the ongoing discussions.

Hi Carol. Our dog stays in the coach when we're gone. So long as the beast is quiet, it's ok. We usually ask our neighbors to let us know if the monster makes noise while we're out....we'll take care of him making noise so long as we know about it And we always leave windows open, even if the A/C's on. Never leave them tied up outside alone. Most parks don't allow it, it's not safe for the dogs and in some government parks there's a hefty fine ($100 in Death Valley for leaving your dog unattended tied up outside - ouch).
Wendy

auntcarol said:
Hi all I do not yet own a travel trailer but hubby and I are looking into owning one, the kind you pull along.  I have a Honda Odyssey van now and getting a Toyota Sienna in the near future.  Is there any particular travel trailer that would be best in my situation (light weight) .  We are retired and looking for one with say a queen size bed, tub etc.  not too big, say at least 24 ft. 

If that is what you want, DO NOT BUY A SIENNA.  The maximum tow rating for a Sienna is 3500 lbs even without safety factors.  The only trailers that could pull would be a tent trailer and I suspect that is not what you want.  If you want to tow a travel trailer, you will need a bigger tow vehicle -- at least a 1/2 ton rated truck, van or SUV, better a 3/4 ton.

We are looking for a decent used one that has heat and air conditioning.  I believe that there are ones out there that you can hook up to a van with just a hitch, no special transmissions.  Is that correct?

Well yes, ordinary automatics work just fine, but all tow vehicles are liimited in what they can pull in terms of weight  -- mini vans particularly.

Also, we have a dog and when a campground says dogs welcomed , and I see that  most do now,  are you allowed to keep your dog in your trailer say if you go off the campground and  out to dinner or a movie ... 

That is exactly what we do with our pooch.  However, we leave the A/C or furnace running as appropriate.  Dogs usually adapt to a trailer quite well, especially if it is full of your stuff, it becomes home to them.

As Carl said, if you're planning on getting the type of trailer you are describing (a hard sided with tub/shower facilities, at least 24'), you are going to NEED more than a mini-van.  Not sure what your reasoning is behind the mini-van, but you could get a SUV that would give you similar room, if that's it.  A good half-ton or 3/4 ton 4 door pickup would give you decent room and be much better suited to pulling a travel trailer.

We bring our traveling dog with us most times we are camping, and other than a couple of minutes after we leave, only sometimes (she doesn't do it all the time), she is very well behaved when we leave her behind.  But you must make sure you leave the place properly heated/air conditioned.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the Toyota Sienna has a maximum tow rating of 3500 lbs, and that assumes the van has only a 150 lb driver and fuel on board - no passengers or extra gear. You aren't going to find a regular trailer in the 24 foot range that is anywhere near that light. Even a 19 foot hybrid (hard side walls but folding canvas pop out ends) is likely to exceed 3500 lbs with water and food onboard. The 24 foot trailer you are longing for will weigh 5500-7500 lbs. HERE are the specs on one "ultra-lite" trailer line. Note that you have to add the carrying capacity (load) to the shipping weight to get the actual weight of the trailer as you drive down the road.

Minivans are not designed for much trailer towing - I suggest you consider a full sized van or SUV if you want to tow even a modest size trailer.

Thanks for the welcome.  What a bummer on not being able to use my van.  What happens if on my new van I get the special more powerful towing package?  I remember that my dad had a Golden Falcon 23 ft. and pulled it with his car, that's why I thought it would work.  I don't want to get the pop up trailer.  I need to rethink this.  We want to get a trailer mainly so that we can have our dog with us when we travel.  I know that hotels allow dogs but alot of the times you cannot leave the dog alone in the room or if they are alone in the room they need to be crated and that is not and option for us, so I thought that the travel trailer would be the solution.  Glad to hear you can leave your dog in the trailer when you go out, she is quiet and a couch potato.  Any more ideas?
Carol

Well, I guess we have to ask, is there a particular reason you are hung up on the mini-van?  The only possibility besides a pop-up for a mini-van might, MIGHT be a smaller TrailManor.  That is still a pop-up, but it is fully hardsided with a normal (for a travel trailer) bathroom, if maybe a little smaller.  Otherwise, even with a "tow-package", a mini-van just is not going to do the job.  The engine will not be powerful enough, the transmission not heavy duty enough, the suspension way too soft, even with weight-distribution.  You need to look at least a mid-size SUV, preferably with a V-8 (like a TrailBlazer, Explorer, etc.), or even better, a full sized one like the Suburban or Expedition. 

The full sized vans are another possibility --- ones like the Ford E series.  The E's can tow an amazing range of trailers...bar 5th wheels of course.  The E350 with the 6 liter diesel can drag 10,000 lbs down the road.  Owned one myself.  However, fuel mileage is about that of a main line of battle tank.

Well I can only say that I love my mini van, love the way it drives,rides,the look and gas mileage besides it is also a lot cheaper to buy than an SUV.  Well guess I'll have to go to plan B whatever that is.  Gotta think on this one.  Thanks for all your help, even though my idea wasn't on target what a BUMMER!!!!  :'(  And here I was  planning such wonderful trips.  BTW what are your thoughts on renting a trailer, I see that you can rent the kind you drive, small or large.  Any thoughts on that???  Can you tell I want to go camping in a trailer with a bathroom and bedroom, not a tent PLEASE!!
Carol

auntcarol said:
BTW what are your thoughts on renting a trailer, I see that you can rent the kind you drive, small or large.

The "kind you drive" are called Motorhomes.  ;)  Sounds like renting an RV would be a good idea, since it sounds as if you'd like to try camping but aren't sure about buying.  You and the pup can see how you like it, and that may just be an option if you like to RV but can't tow the right trailer with your minivan.  Since you like how a van drives, I'd recommend a smaller Class C motorhome (the kind with a bunk bed over the van cab) over a Class A (the kind that looks like a big bus).

Problem with renting an RV is that most do not allow pets in them which sounds like it's the main reason you want to try RVing. Unless you find a private party willing to rent to you and the hairy kids.

Wendy

wendycoke said:
Problem with renting an RV is that most do not allow pets in them which sounds like it's the main reason you want to try RVing. Unless you find a private party willing to rent to you and the hairy kids.

El Monte Rents, one of the biggies, says on its website:  Pets are allowed for a one time non-refundable pet fee of $100 payable at the location. 

Carl L said:
El Monte Rents, one of the biggies, says on its website:   Pets are allowed for a one time non-refundable pet fee of $100 payable at the location.   

That's good. Most didn't use to allow pets or smoking. Wonder what they do different when cleaning for their $100.

Wendy

wendycoke said:
That's good. Most didn't use to allow pets or smoking. Wonder what they do different when cleaning for their $100.

My guess is that it is sort of an insurance bet against subtile damage like clawing, marking, and shedding. 

The question really is, what can I tow behind a Toyota Sienna? Surely (but I am no expert) there are several very small trailers which will sleep two with a dog, and have a toilet and shower. I think perhaps Airstream makes one, and I saw one by Bigfoot a few weeks ago that looked like it weighed less than 3000lbs. They might fit the bill, if one was planning a trip of a week or two, especially with the carrying space in the back of the Sienna.
Rankjo

You will need to know your towing vehicle's tow capacity in order to determine the units within that range.  Once you've determined that, you might want to attend an RV show (which will have the most units in one place at one time).

If you go to view the units, take the time to lay on the beds, sit on the potty, fake a shower, fake preparing a meal.  This will help you determine the floor plan that will work for you.  You will find the 'rear kitchen' models to have more counterspace.  If you plan to travel during freezing weather, you might also check the models with heated/enclosed underbellies.

As to poochie staying in the camper while you are enjoying a dinner - it is frowned upon.  What if it were 100 degrees and the power went off at the campground.....roast dog.  However, many will leave their babies in the camper for short periods with AC on, television and/or radio for company.  My little goober will cry if left behind, so all my jaunts are early morning before the heat, and he stays in the vehicle (AC prior to stopping) and I am under a time constraint of 30 - 45 minutes.  I have been fortunate to find doggy daycare (not the cheapest way to go, but I know he's safe) near some of the campgrounds I've been to.  If the campground doesn't have the info, some of the local vets will.

I wasn't suggesting a pop-up camper. There are hard sided trailers full trailers with baths that will weigh around 3500 lbs for a 17 footer that expands much larger for sleeping. The Forest River Roo line might be OK and the Starcraft Antigua 17 footer is another possibility.  The 17's max out a minivan, though. You should really think about getting a Ford E150 or similar Chevy/MC van.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Praise Bus
Back
Top Bottom