Need some questions answered please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jayco also makes the trailers to which Gary was referring. We call them bump outs. Nice thing about them is you can still use everything inside without putting out the ends. If the family is small you can park it in the rain, sleep on the dinette and not have to set it up until the rain stops. Naturally, you wouldn't want to do that for too many nights. ;D

Jayco also has a model that has a slideout in the end with a bunk room at the other end.

Well thanks again for your input.  I'm gonna check them out.  Maybe there is still hope for me getting what I want.  We are both retired and just have the dog so I really don't need extra sleeping areas.
Carol

Hi,  I have a related question for towing experts.  We have 06 Sienna and it's rated for 3500lbs but I've noticed some places say '5000lbs with weight distribution system' - what exactly does that mean?  Does it mean that if I get one of these (I noticed that Curt Manufacturing appears to make it for the Sienna), I can tow a 3500-4000lbs trailer?  What about the braking (I thought that was one of the reasons it was only rated to 3500lbs)? 

For the OP, I recently saw the Jay Feather Ex-Port at an RV show and they do look very nice - I was quite impressed actually.

Let us know. Thanks,
Mike

michelb said:
Hi,  I have a related question for towing experts.  We have 06 Sienna and it's rated for 3500lbs but I've noticed some places say '5000lbs with weight distribution system' - what exactly does that mean?  Does it mean that if I get one of these (I noticed that Curt Manufacturing appears to make it for the Sienna), I can tow a 3500-4000lbs trailer?  What about the braking (I thought that was one of the reasons it was only rated to 3500lbs)? 

For the OP, I recently saw the Jay Feather Ex-Port at an RV show and they do look very nice - I was quite impressed actually.

To answer my own question (and experts, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Some third party hitches are rated to 5000/500 with weight distribution hitch but that doesn't increase the max limit of the Sienna which is 3500lbs.  One thing is does increase though is that I think the Sienna is 3500/300 with a regular hitch and you can do 3500/525 with the weight distribution hitch.  So while the weight distribution hitch won't let you pull more, you can use it with some larger trailers that are under 3500 but have a high tongue weight.

michelb said:
To answer my own question (and experts, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Some third party hitches are rated to 5000/500 with weight distribution hitch but that doesn't increase the max limit of the Sienna which is 3500lbs.  One thing is does increase though is that I think the Sienna is 3500/300 with a regular hitch and you can do 3500/525 with the weight distribution hitch.  So while the weight distribution hitch won't let you pull more, you can use it with some larger trailers that are under 3500 but have a high tongue weight.

Pretty much it.  Moreover, that 3500 needs to be discounted 10%  to 3150 in the east, and 20% to 2800 in the west for the altitudes and grades out there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom