Do NOT have a Pickup Truck to TOW -- Help on ideas to tow RV from PA to AZ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmgsearch

We are desperatly seeking ideas as we do not own a truck to tow our RV...  Relocated from PA to AZ last year for work and RV is sitting at campground and we want to get it here to Phoenix.  I cannot locate any rental agencies or moving companies that offer pickup trucks for towing.  Does anyone have any idea of legitimate RV transporters or people who do this for a living?  It is a 2007 Keystone Travel Trailer w/ a bumper hitch and is approximately 6800 lbs, there are some chairs and a little bit of storage inside so I'd suggest it's closer to 7,000 in lbs.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

If you go to Budget or similar rental outlet, they rent half ton trucks.  I suggest going there in person and look at the trucks.  Some trucks now come from the factory with towing package including brake controller.  If you find one of those, you'll be in business. 

The reason I say go in person is to be able to check for yourself if it has a factory brake controller, it's likely not listed in their options list when you book the rental, so it's going to be hit and miss.  You won't know until you physically check it.

Might want to check Ford, Chev and Dodge's websites to see where the brake controller is located and what it looks like, so when you look at a rental, you'll know if it has it or not.

If you are in Phoenix and willing to drive the round trip, you could try a construction equipment rental such as this. The other option would be as Marc suggested and try a national chain hoping to get the right set up. You might also try Penske or U-haul, not sure if they rent Pick ups or not.

This may not be the most fuel efficient approach but you could try renting a U-Haul, Penske, or Budget moving truck.  Most are set up to tow cars and should easily be able to handle your RV.

I checked into renting a truck to tow a car, they wouldn't let me, said I had to rent a tow dolly from them, so renting a truck to tow an RV may not be possible. 

I have a friend that tows and drives RV's for Lazy Days, not sure if this would be in his baliwick or not.  I'll ask.

go to http://www.uship.com/

put in your requirements and see what you get.
it is a reverse ebay like system. most are empty transport drivers trying to make extra money. the mini forum I am on recommend it. it is up to you to decide if any offer has the right requirements for you.

Good luck.

Lots of RV transport companies - that's how new Rvs get del;ivered to dealers.

http://www.rvtransport.com/
http://www.hoosier-rv-transport.com/
http://www.rvtransportservice.com/
http://www.rvtransportquotes.com/

Just Google 'RV transport' for more.

This was a few years ago but I rented a Chevy 2500HD crew cab long bed 4x4 Duramax Diesel from Enterprise. I told them I was going to the dunes but my truck broke down and I needed a truck with a brake controller for my toyhauler and they said no problem. I took it home and hooked it to my toyhauler and went to the dunes for a weekend.

I ran into a deadend when I checked on renting a truck to tow my trailer.  The only place that was ok with towing was U-Haul and that was with using a box truck. 

This post got me thinking that maybe I should recheck again because it sounds hopeful.

A few years ago, we looked into a company that hired people to move RVs around the country. It was mostly from manufacturer to dealer but there are people who do this for a living. Maybe if you google Rv movers or something similar? Or ask the dealers in your area.

Good luck
Wendy

Talk to your dealer... Or any dealer.. There are companies who will transport the trailer for you.  Of course you have to pay. but they will do it.  If it's a 5-er they can send a semi tractor.. If it's a TT.. Well, they cn tow those too.. The transport companies will have tractors with electric brake controllers on them set up just for the job.

utahclaimjumper said:
How is it you ended up with an RV towable, without the means to tow it.???>>>Dan

It happens more than one would think....

PS  It will be 2 years before I have my own vehicle to tow with.

A lot of RV dealers have guys who transfer RVs across country from dealer to dealer.
Bribery works for me... These guys do it a lot on weekends.
Give one a  $$$ good $$$  reason to work for you a couple of days.
Amazing what folks will do for money.  :D

MacVell said:
I know but that doesn't mean that the problem was solved.
I just wanted o help people to pay a bit more attention to broker companies.
Because there are a lot of guys tried just to ship a car but were caught by lead generators.
Anyway, this info is very helpful if you want to avoid any unplanned situation.

So, how much do you get paid when someone uses the referrals in your signature?

I see the post was old, but I used it To go look at enterprise truck rentals.  There is one 2 miles from where I store my trailer, 3/4 ton trucks, towing equipped for $350 a week (one ton as well).  I could see where that info could come in handy some day in a pinch!

Back
Top Bottom