Anybody store RV in ShelterLogic garage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldedit

Camping World offers ShelterLogic canopy garages  for motorhomes, boats, cars, etc. For a bigger selection, I went to the ShelterLogic web site and found I can buy a 14 w x 36 long by 14 ft high garage. But the company says it can't rate these products for wind or snow loads. We're in the sunny, windy and snowy Colorado Rockies.

If you have a ShelterLogic, how much wind do you get, how much snow and how long has the fabric lasted? I'll try to find a related Yahoo Group or message board.

tia

Not being able to rate their product for snow/wind would make it a not brainer for me.  ;)

Here in snowy and windy Canada a friend of mine has his in a shelterlogic building. He has had it for 3 or 4 years so far. first year he had one side facing the wind. It is behind his house and sort of sheltered but the wind still comes up the driveway and around the house. he was not happy with how much the building moved second year he pointed the door into the wind. seemed to be the best.
One thing He mentioned was that because the sides are not straight you must keep the snow away from the building. I think when he was talking to the sales rep they mentioned that as well. He would carefully shovel the snow away once it was about 3 to 4 feet up the sides. He did catch the material in a couple of places when doing that but other then that there is no signs of wear on the shelter. the other thing he does is open the doors on both ends when it is sunny and "warm" out it keep the moisture down.

They used to be Shelter King. Had a 20 x 30 with 16 foot ceiling. It didn't make it through its first winter. No warranty. Near Winter Park, CO, so quite a bit of snow.

2kskibum,

We're overlooking Silverthorne. Your input is just what I was looking for. We get some big winds through the valley. And some years we get a lot of snow. Not this year. How long ago did you have the Shelter King? Did you have a $200 to $400 unit or one of the Shelter Pro units that go for $1,900 to $4,000?

Paid a couple thousand, maybe more. 2 1/4" galv pipe I think, maybe 2". Nice building in the summer - store my sportscar, boat, tractor. Left just the boat in it for the winter - good thing. Impossible to keep up with shovelling the sides, and in a windstorm the top pulled a bit, causing a sag, which lead to partial collapse. Bigger pain to dismantle and dispose of than to build. I think stick framing would be cheaper and better... pole barn... especially in that environment. I'm in Denver now, just got a ticket from the city for having my rig parked beside my house. Sick of these rules (and the snow), moving to Mexico!

Well, there's a civil war in Mexico, and I hear they love to hold up RVs. Thanks for the additional info. ShelterLogic doesn't look like the product that would work for us.

http://www.mtntents.com/MtnTents/Welcome.html

If I can post a link (?)...a Weather Port will do the job. The man for this is Sharbel from Gunnison. He installs these things all over the world - even a huge one in Greenland. Yes, they will take snow. Heavy snow. And wind. Boy what a windy winter in the high country eh?

Oldedit said:
Well, there's a civil war in Mexico, and I hear they love to hold up RVs. Thanks for the additional info. ShelterLogic doesn't look like the product that would work for us.

Please provide some links concerning these attacks - hold ups (sic). I read most Mexican blogs, frequent forums, and read newspapers. I am aware of one death involving an RV'er this winter. It happened in FLORIDA.

The U.S. State Department has several warnings out about traveling in Mexico.

Arizona State University sponsors trips to Mexico for spring break. They cancelled all trips to Mexico this year and warned their students not to travel there.

Carnival Cruise Lines had a tour bus robbed in Mexico when it stopped at a scenic view point.

s2kskibum said:
Please provide some links concerning these attacks - hold ups (sic).

If you would like to read a summary of the top news stories dealing with the crime epidemic in Mexico and related U.S. news stories, visit the M3 Report. This report is published daily by the National Association of Former Border Patrol Officers and, although the summaries are not specific to RVers, there have been past reports dealing with RVers. You can subscribe to the M3 Report to receive a daily (or almost daily) email summary of these stories or you can just go to the website and select a particular date to review.

R

I have a ShelterLogic 12 X 26 canopy that made two of our wet winters here on Vancouver Island. The only problem it has was trying to hold up 8" to 10" of wet snow when the weather changed and turned to rain. This all happened between midnight (last checked) and 5:30 am when it collapsed. At midnight raining but nothing on the canopy but runoff. At 5:30 am when the loud thump was heard there was about 8" to 10" of snow on the ground.

I still have it as it was a great shelter for sun and rain over our back deck. may put it back up but with wooden trusses to hold it up.

To install a tent, I've gotten rough estimates on the cost:

Tent: $10,000 to $12,000
Installation: $1,800, maybe less.
Excavation: $2,5000
Concrete slab (12") $6,000
Electrical: $2000

I can buy a lot of wax jobs for that. So no go. Thanks for the input.

yes they are not cheap. they are more along the lines of a normal building structure. They are gaining in popularity. I see them increasingly in the agricultural market.

Back
Top Bottom