RV Useful Smart Phone Apps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomnnva

I was just reading a post and someone mentioned they used an App for their Android phone to help level their RV, I had no idea such an App existed.  I found "Bubble Level" for free in the Google App store, I now have that "tool" to help me level my coach.  So I'm thinking there are MANY RV related Apps that I am not aware that could help me as we travel down the road.  Maybe this forum could start a section that lists all helpful Apps.

So here is an RV related App I find useful;

"myPilot"  locates nearest Flying J or Pilot to you and current fuel prices, finds all locations that have DEF at pumps, see locations in a traditional map or satellite view, etc.  It's free.

I'll bet there are many in this forum who have Apps they find useful in their travels, I'd certainly like to know about them.

Allstays Camp & RV, and Allstays Overnight Parking Walmart are handy. I also have GPS Drive (MotionX) that I have used when I didn't have my normal GPS available and found it to be a very good gps app.

X2 about Allstays Camp & RV. I have checked it out looking for some really obscure campgrounds, and it always seems to be able to find them.

Another that I use is iSat Finder for knowing which way to point my satellite dish.

After I installed CoPilot Live, I have completely quit using my TomTom One. Speaking of GPS, the topo maps in Gaia GPS are great for hiking. Also there is iExit for finding services along the interstates.

Gasbuddy is one that I use alot. I also have MyPilot but it doesn't give you prices for other stations in the area.

If you belong to Passport America, they have an app.

I tried to find the Passport America App and could not, it must be an iphone app - I have a droid razr.

tomnnva said:
I tried to find the Passport America App and could not, it must be an iphone app - I have a droid razr.
I use the PA directory on my antique Blackberry, so I think it would run on anything. I find it very useful.
Hope this helps
Dave

tomnnva said:

You can find the Android app for PA here.

My Smart Phone wanted an optional monthly subscription to enable it's maps and navigation features.  Google has free versions of both available as apps.  Navigate lets you speak or type what you want to find, then uses the phone's GPS to guide you.  When you get to your destination it displays a Google Street View of the area.

Google Earth is also available as an Android app, but it's fairly data intensive.

Wi-Fi Analyzer turns your phone into a wi-fi sniffer, letting you identify signals in your area. 

BTW - many phones have the option to use a wi-fi hotspot instead of your data plan when an open hotspot is available.  Data  transfered through a hotspot does not count against your monthly limit, so it's a good choice to use when downloading apps, etc.  I use McDonald's hotspots whenever I'm near one.

iExit, RoadAhead, Rest Area Guidebook, GPs Plus, Truck Stops, AllStays Interstate Diesel to name a few I use on the iPhone and iPad.

I am downloading iExit on my iPhone as I type. For a cross-state or cross-country, this looks like a very useful app. At $1.99, I don't think I can go wrong. Just took a first look at the exit nearest me and it's got it all right!  Thanks Rich D.

Jack

I've got several different apps on my DroidX.  Some are more useful than others.  This isn't every app I've got, but several that I think could be handy for RV'ing.

Gas buddy
My Pilot
Mapquest for mobile (Recently introduced by Mapquest)
Navy Clock (Good reference clock if you want to know the correct time to the second according to the National clock
Point inside (preprogrammed gps app for airports, malls and several other big indoor places.)
Sunrise Sunset (official sunrise and sunset times)
US Army Survival Guide (You never know)
Compass
Big Oven (good little cookbook)
The Weather Channel or Weatherbug

Here's one to add to the list.  It's called, "my radar". It's free, but if you go "pro" for a small fee, you get alerts. Since when you're in your rolling home - you are likely disconnected from the local real world. It shows local radar and is interactive. The alert feature will wake you if a tornado warning is issued for your area.

If you travel, check out the free version of "TV Antenna Helper."

Need to have a cell signal to get info, but if you put in your location you can see all the local TV stations in a list with signal strength, on a map, and on a compass to see where to point your antenna.

Another, not quite an RV app but nice to have on those trips, is "Google Sky" for those clear nights.  Amazing.

YPmobile(Yellow Pages mobile) is helpful. You can set up your favorites and have it search where you are or input a different location. I have my shortcuts set up as campgrounds, grocery stores, veterinarian's, gas stations (with prices), etc that then supplies me that list.

FMCA recently came out with one but when I tried to download it, it states my phone is not compatible. Has anyone tried that one yet? I was wondering if it would be worth persuing a resolution for?

I have the FMCA app on my Bionic and it does have some useful features.  The 5 categories of information are News, Videos, RV Parks, Calendar, and Contact.  The RV Parks search seems to be incomplete, as there are several parks within 20 miles of us that don't show up while it shows some over 40 miles away.  As a free app, it's worth every penny :)

Ned said:
I have the FMCA app on my Bionic and it does have some useful features.  The 5 categories of information are News, Videos, RV Parks, Calendar, and Contact.  The RV Parks search seems to be incomplete, as there are several parks within 20 miles of us that don't show up while it shows some over 40 miles away.  As a free app, it's worth every penny :)
Thanks Ned, then I will dig deeper into the issue when I have a free moment. I have yet to find a resource that truly has ALL campgrounds but with this one and others increases the odds of having more maybe ;) .

I use Spirit Level for leveling my coach and it works great. I love the flash light also. Mine has 6 settings including a digital SOS flashing and a double flashing yellow light. Don't need a flashlight as you always have one with the phone.

Back
Top Bottom