1 out of 4 tires has abnormal wear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith c

I have 2013 model year Jayco Eagle 304 BHS with Carlisle Radial Trail RH ST225/75 R15 117N Load Range E tires.  I upgraded the tires from original Load Range D to E.  Just the rear tire on the driver side has abnormal wear.  The wear is excessive compared to the other 3 especially on the inside.  All the other tires are wearing evenly.  I had the same issue with the last set of tires.  Is my axle bent?  If so, how do you fix it and how much will it cost?

One tire on an axle?  You have a bad spindle.  The only cure is a new axle.  If the axle itself was bent both tires on the axle would be wearing.

Thanks Don.  How much is does it cost to replace an axle?  Also, how do you make sure it's a bad spindle?

I took my trailer to a place where they do alignments on trailers. It's a place in FL called Tampa Springs. There are places like this all over. Just contact a place does work on big trucks and they can tell if they do alignments or they'll tell you where to take it. They had to do multiple bends on my axles to get the toe and camber back in alignment. I haven't had any unusual wear in 2 years.

Thanks Rene.  How much did it cost to get the axle aligned?

keith c said:
Thanks Rene.  How much did it cost to get the axle aligned?

I want to say it was around $300.00.  I'd have to look at my paperwork. It took one guy around 2 hours to do it. I was very impressed. It's all computerized and they gave a me a runoff of before and after. I had one wheel which was way out.

keith c said:
Thanks Don.  How much is does it cost to replace an axle?  Also, how do you make sure it's a bad spindle?
New axle assembly sans springs with brake assemblies complete, maybe 350 dollara depending on size.

Don/Rene,
If it is a bad spindle, can the spindle be realigned or does the whole axle need to be replaced?

If an axle is bent so badly that a tire wears quickly, I would just replace it rather than trying to bend it back.  It is just 4 u-bolts and the brake wires to work with.

Axles are easy to bend.  Spindle bent is a major problem.  Simply replace the axle.

In nearly all trailer axles the spindle is welded in place and (IMO) requires the services of a pro welder rather than a shade tree mechanic. That probably costs a s much as replacing an axle, which is a bolt-on job that can be done by that shade tree guy (or yourself).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom