10 reasons why you will regret an RV in Retirement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard the same rationale when I built my house and put in an in-ground gunite pool. "You'll never get your money out of it," "It's too much maintenance," "You'll regret getting it," blah blah blah. You don't get a pool or an RV because you're thinking of re-sale or maintenance. You get an RV or a pool because you WANT AN RV OR A POOL. You want to travel on your own terms, see the countryside, you want to swim and sit in the hot tub whenever you like. Naked too even!! The enjoyment of the item is what you're interested in, not the peripheral requirements of ownership or re-sale value.

Journalism is dead.

This was an absolute joke…like most media these days.

If you're looking for a Pulitzer prize in a Kiplinger article juxtaposed next to a German Shepherd got attitude when her dad petted another dog story, then a pretty good argument can be made that you're searching in the wrong place.

The sky is not falling.

Well, Mark in today's times you would have to swap out the term "wife" and use "partner" because that person may not be gender identified, LOL!

For Kipinger to even waste the time and money to produce that piece should be indicative of what some folks may call journalism, to me it's just trash. The piece was probably sponsored by a Time Share or maybe an airline association company.

As others have posted, except for maybe the waste removal aspect of RV'ing, you can apply the rest of the perspectives to just about any walk of life. And, even there if you have FHU that point becomes irrelevant.

The piece was probably sponsored by a Time Share or maybe an airline association company.
More likely is just another piece with a catchy title and subject that's likely to get folks with even a mild interest in RVs to click and view. It's all about clicks, not so much content.

It sounds like the author is talking about full-time RVing. So with that in mind here are the author's reasons (my comments in blue):

1. RVs are really expensive. The core appeal of the RV-retirement lifestyle is the perception that an RV costs less than a house.
Depends. I've seen full timers in really cheap (< $10k) and in really expensive (> $1M) RVs.
Costing less than a house? Yep, I've seen a lot of that sentiment over the years.

2. You'll spend even more money updating your RV's decor.
News to me.

3. Your RV will depreciate in value.
Since almost all vehicles depreciate in value, it seems hard to believe that Joe Average would not think RVs would also decrease in value.

4. RVs guzzle fuel and costs in 2022 are crushing.
. . . prices are not so good in 2024 too.

5. You'll need extra insurance for your RV.
Especially true for full timers.

6. Health care can be a hassle when traveling in an RV.
Big Time!

7. You'll have to deal with your own waste from your RV.
I suppose someone could believe that RVs "burn" waste, but to me this point is right up there with #3.

8. Quarters are close in your RV.
Definitely worth thinking about before departing with the wife, three kids, and two dogs.

9. RVs are a bear to drive.
Right. You're driving a truck. Some trucks are easier and more comfy to drive than other trucks, but you're driving a truck.

10. Overnight parking can be problematic with an RV.
True dat.
Speaking of #7: A Disturbingly Close Look At The 1970s RV Technology That Cooked Your Poop As You Drove Down The Highway - The Autopian

I used to subscribe to Kiplinger when I was in my 30's. Now in my 70's I know more than their writers. When we reach this age, we discern that most writers are either stating the obvious or they are giving bad, one off, information based on rumor or biased opinion.

D
I heard the same rationale when I built my house and put in an in-ground gunite pool. "You'll never get your money out of it," "It's too much maintenance," "You'll regret getting it," blah blah blah. You don't get a pool or an RV because you're thinking of re-sale or maintenance. You get an RV or a pool because you WANT AN RV OR A POOL. You want to travel on your own terms, see the countryside, you want to swim and sit in the hot tub whenever you like. Naked too even!! The enjoyment of the item is what you're interested in, not the peripheral requirements of ownership or re-sale value.
Ditto that. Great analogy.

Back
Top Bottom