1989 Holiday Rambler Gen to Shore Switch Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

higherplane

I have an 89 Crown Imperial and am having a problem with the switch that automatically senses shore or Generator power and allows one air conditioner on shore and both on Generator. It seems to only work in shore mode where you need to switch from front to rear manually. Does anyone know where the switch is located and what the problem might be from experience.

Can you be more specific?  Does your generator power the coach at all?  Is it just air conditioners that don't work on Gen?  Have you checked both circuit breakers on the end of your generator?  More info please.

It's not just the switch that allows two air conditioners to run (or not run), it's the capacity and wiring from the generator that allows that capability.  Usually a 30amp and a 20 amp feed from the generator v/s a single 30 amp from the shore cord.

Thanks for your response, in follow up, The generator powers everything as best I can tell, it just acts it is connected to shore power with only one A/C running at a time through the manual switch. Both units have previously worked when running off the 6500 Generator. This seemed to begin when the generator bogged down when I switched on the second A/C yesterday while on Generator power. The manual says that with Gen power, both will run bypassing the manual switch and with 30amp shore power only one or the other will run through the manual front or back unit switch. I hope this is clearer.

Check the Circuit Breaker on the Generator (there are two).

There should be two circuit breakers on the generator.  Try tripping and then resetting these breakers.

There is (may be) another automatic transfer switch involved with routing the 20 amp output leg of the generator to the second air unit.
For the logic of this setup check the attached diagram.  Your unit uses a manual selector front/rear switch instead of the  ECC control circuitry, but the objective is the same.  The transfer switch is in the second generator output circuit.

Attachments

• ECC original.jpg
    ECC original.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 13
30 amp shore power provides only enough electrical power to run one ac, and the manual switch selects which a/c is powered from the primary, shore power circuit. Your generator is wired to power both a/cs, one receiving power via the primary circuit (same one as is powered from shore power) and one via a separate circuit direct from the generator. Regardless of the switch position, both a/c's should work on the generator.

The transfer switch changes between shore and generator power and always selects the generator if it is running and putting out power. This switch is located at the point where the shore power and generator wiring come together, usually where the shore cord is connected. If the circuit breaker on the genset is tripped, the transfer switch will never see power from the genset. It switches only the primary power circuit, i.e. the 30A power from either shore or generator.

There is a separate circuit for the second a/c power from the genset and it should have its own circuit breaker. It does not go through the transfer switch. My guess is that this independent circuit breaker has tripped. Hard to say where it might be located, though.

Thanks everybody, you all helped greatly. The problem was one of the circuit breakers on the side of the Generator was tripped. After resetting, everything worked as advertised. Your help is greatly appreciated.

This does lead to another question, the unit at one time had the "Pulse Air AC1157" to sequence the A/C's when on shore power but at some time it was removed but everything is still fed through the box. I cannot find one of these anywhere. Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar switch that will run one then the other air conditioner when connected to 30 amp shore power? I saw some mention in another thread of an EEC II unit but cannot find information. Thanks.

On the Crown Imperial, the manual switch is located in the lower door panel, just prior to entering the back bed area (right most lower panel, opposite the bathroom door). I have the same rig and that's where the switch is on mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OhDis
Back
Top Bottom