1990 Coachman Classic 36' - John Deere Chassis - 460 Ford

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. D said:
250 deg is TOO hot. IMO the John Deere Chassis w/ the 460 Ford was a poor design for cooling from the get go. I had a 1989 Overland with a 460 Ford and it also had a overheating problem. I finally put a fan in front of the radiator and this fixed my overheating problem. I would also get the radiator rodded out or replaced.

Don't overlook this problem @ 250 deg it is only a matter of time befor you burn up your engine.

Agreed, they stacked the tranny cooler, ac and all this crap in front of the radiator as if cooling the engine was a secondary concern. I believe if we move two of the coolers away from the radiator and replace the clutch fan, new high flow thermostat and install an 18" if possible electronic fan that his rig will run much cooler, also flushing the water the previous owner used.

EDIT: We have not proven the engine runs at 250f yet, the gauge could be off, we need to get the gauge verified.

Don't forget to asperate and reduce the backflow constrictions and replace the crappy manifolds if they are the original. You don't need to move or add anything else 'cept maybe the GV gearsplitter  if you'd like a 15-20% mpg increase.

I have a 89 pace arrow 37 FT. john deer chassis with a 460. I took it to the shop for running hot and the tech took a heat gun and checked the radiator for the temp. He said this is the easiest way to see if the rad is the problem. there was only a twenty degree differents. I did find my rad hoses were colasping and cutting off water flow .

Spent the entire weekend at the campground. Found out just how special the RV is (and how lucky we are) regarding its condition.

Found the rear window leak and that is now "contained" (we'll replace the window proper next yr.). Testing is with the storm today and not one trickle (spouse was veddy happy). Put our memory foam mattress into the rear and it worked perfect.

Took the first shower and heater and water pump worked perfect.

Thank God for A/C by the way.

Info forthcoming regarding work done this weekend. :)

OK, have the repair receipts out for review.

7/17/2002 - 48,625 miles - Transmission rebuild <$950.00>

8/7/2002 - 48,652 miles - 2 head gaskets, 2 manifold studs, 1 valve cover gasket, 2 Head assembly's, 1 manifold gasket,  1 Carb Mounting kit, Fuel FIlter, misc. lines, 8 spark plugs, 1 manifold stud, 16 rocker arm assembly, 16 rocker arm studs, 16 push rods, generator repairs, R&R Propane Gas housing and clear lines, Repair and install parts for water heater <$3,749.88>

8/12/2002 - A/C Compressor <$261.12>

8/20/2002 - R&R A/C Compressor Evac and Charge <$480.17>

So, it appears 8 years ago and 8,000 miles ago..... that the tranny was rebuilt, the heads were redone, the carb got R&R, the water heater and propane lines got R&R, the A/C compressor was replaced and the lines evacuated and R-12 put in.

Thoughts or comments from anyone regarding the above work?

Also, have attached the temporary rear window re-sealing pics to this post.

It looks like all the engine block problens on the stock engine were well taken care of. I t sounds like my list.

What's left is opening up the air into the carb and the bigest exhaust pipes and muffler you can find. Do you have an aux transmission cooler installed? That will keep those temps down esp if you drive any hills/mts.

amarine1 said:
OK, have the repair receipts out for review.

7/17/2002 - 48,625 miles - Transmission rebuild <$950.00>

8/7/2002 - 48,652 miles - 2 head gaskets, 2 manifold studs, 1 valve cover gasket, 2 Head assembly's, 1 manifold gasket,  1 Carb Mounting kit, Fuel FIlter, misc. lines, 8 spark plugs, 1 manifold stud, 16 rocker arm assembly, 16 rocker arm studs, 16 push rods, generator repairs, R&R Propane Gas housing and clear lines, Repair and install parts for water heater <$3,749.88>

8/12/2002 - A/C Compressor <$261.12>

8/20/2002 - R&R A/C Compressor Evac and Charge <$480.17>

So, it appears 8 years ago and 8,000 miles ago..... that the tranny was rebuilt, the heads were redone, the carb got R&R, the water heater and propane lines got R&R, the A/C compressor was replaced and the lines evacuated and R-12 put in.

Thoughts or comments from anyone regarding the above work?

Also, have attached the temporary rear window re-sealing pics to this post.

Yo numnuts, you forgot the picture!  :eek:  ;D

KlipschHead281 said:
Yo numnuts, you forgot the picture!  :eek:  ;D

I've been trying to attach 144k and 240k pics all afternoon. Just ain't happening (I notified a global moderator to the issue).

Under help>posting you will see this:

Attach:

Allowed file types: txt, jpg, gif, pdf, mpg, png
Maximum attachment size allowed: 128 KB

I'm looking forward to viewing your pics.

[quote author=Bob Maxwell]
Allowed file types: txt, jpg, gif, pdf, mpg, png
Maximum attachment size allowed: 128 KB
[/quote]

Bob, the current attachment size limits are 250K per attachment, 12 attachments & 2 MB per message. These numbers are displayed when you click Additional options when creating a message. If any one of these conditions is not met, no attachments are posted.

Allowed file types are currently: txt, doc, drw, pdf, jpg, jpeg, JPG, JPEG, gif, GIF, png, PNG, zip, xls, est, saf, anr, an1, wmv, csv

You might want to check the timeing with regard to the hot engine. Could have a stretched timeing chain. It seems to me that the previous repairs indicate that it was warm then as well.

Fastcar said:
You might want to check the timeing with regard to the hot engine. Could have a stretched timeing chain. It seems to me that the previous repairs indicate that it was warm then as well.

Agreed, we need to get the dog house off and start checking everything. I for one can't wait to work on this.  ::)  :eek:

KlipschHead281 said:
Agreed, we need to get the dog house off and start checking everything. I for one can't wait to work on this.  ::)  :eek:

Tom: It seems as if as soon as I go into this thread, the responses "drag" when anything is "clicked" on. As you can see earlier in the thread, I was able to post pics in the proper size (within the stated limits you indicated), and yet..... nada this go around. I am also using IE8 and have everything updated. Weird. Maybe a download of the latest Firefox will release the hounds.......

Klipsch (have to get used to saying that): I checked the rear this morning.... and it LEAKED!!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrgggghhhhhh....... So, direction of the rain plays a factor and maybe it is coming in via the roof? I am perplexed. Haven't told the spouse yet (as she'll get depressed and all will be doom). We need to nip that in the bud.

Regarding getting started on the engine, oh yeah... I'm so looking forward to sweating under 95 degree high humidity conditions.....  :eek:

As for the tires... they are all probably over 10 years old (and the tire size appears hard to source as Discount Tire doesn't even carry them and I've been told to seek out "specialty providers"... meaning $$$$$$$$$$$):

2 front tires are - Michelin X <XZA> 8R19.5
The Rear Tires are - On one side  Michelin X <XZA> 8R19.5 ......  On the other side - Goodyear G647 RSA 8R195

:(

amarine1 said:
Tom: It seems as if as soon as I go into this thread, the responses "drag" when anything is "clicked" on. As you can see earlier in the thread, I was able to post pics in the proper size (within the stated limits you indicated), and yet..... nada this go around. I am also using IE8 and have everything updated. Weird. Maybe a download of the latest Firefox will release the hounds.......

Klipsch (have to get used to saying that): I checked the rear this morning.... and it LEAKED!!!!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrgggghhhhhh....... So, direction of the rain plays a factor and maybe it is coming in via the roof? I am perplexed. Haven't told the spouse yet (as she'll get depressed and all will be doom). We need to nip that in the bud.

Regarding getting started on the engine, oh yeah... I'm so looking forward to sweating under 95 degree high humidity conditions.....  :eek:

As for the tires... they are all probably over 10 years old (and the tire size appears hard to source as Discount Tire doesn't even carry them and I've been told to seek out "specialty providers"... meaning $$$$$$$$$$$):

2 front tires are - Michelin X <XZA> 8R19.5
The Rear Tires are - On one side  Michelin X <XZA> 8R19.5 ......  On the other side - Goodyear G647 RSA 8R195

:(

Here is the good news, 19.5 is not a specialty sized tire. It's a standard RV rim size and there are a ton of companies making tires for them, what you need to be careful of is load capability. Which should be in the manual. I could not find the DOT numbers but the tires need to be cleaned so I can see them better. I do have a feeling they are all really old in the back, the front has Goodyear G670's I believe which are newer but until I find those codes we won't know for sure so scrub those tires!  :p
As to the leak, nuts, I bet it's somewhere in that window or in the seam up top, if it's traveling from somewhere else, it will be harder to find.  :eek:

KlipschHead281 said:
Here is the good news, 19.5 is not a specialty sized tire. It's a standard RV rim size and there are a ton of companies making tires for them, what you need to be careful of is load capability. Which should be in the manual. I could not find the DOT numbers but the tires need to be cleaned so I can see them better. I do have a feeling they are all really old in the back, the front has Goodyear G670's I believe which are newer but until I find those codes we won't know for sure so scrub those tires!  :p
As to the leak, nuts, I bet it's somewhere in that window or in the seam up top, if it's traveling from somewhere else, it will be harder to find.  :eek:

The Goodyear is on the drivers rear (and they stopped making the RSA a while ago, its now an RSS). All others are the older Michelin x. I am looking at a potential $1,200.00 for 6 tires. :(

As for the re-occuring rear leak, it might be something with the rear A/C once I drove back home also (with the water finding a seam off the roof?????).......

amarine1 said:
The Goodyear is on the drivers rear (and they stopped making the RSA a while ago, its now an RSS). All others are the older Michelin x. I am looking at a potential $1,200.00 for 6 tires. :(

As for the re-occuring rear leak, it might be something with the rear A/C once I drove back home also (with the water finding a seam off the roof?????).......

Front back, who can tell? Doh, good grief it was hot that day.  :eek:  Anyway, $1,200 for 6 tires is dirt cheap. Tires for mine come in at $2,800 since they have a higher load capacity. Again, don't just go by price, you need to insure they are rated for your RV"s maximum per axle weights as listed on the plaque in the RV and in the manual.  :eek:

KlipschHead281 said:
Front back, who can tell? Doh, good grief it was hot that day.  :eek:  Anyway, $1,200 for 6 tires is dirt cheap. Tires for mine come in at $2,800 since they have a higher load capacity. Again, don't just go by price, you need to insure they are rated for your RV"s maximum per axle weights as listed on the plaque in the RV and in the manual.  :eek:

Regarding the load, file that under no $@#t sherlock..... ;)

Of course I've already gone over all that and will be presenting said info the the tire dealer of choice. But I suspect that will be in the spring once the drama with our sister subsides...... and I will be looking to drive some decent distances with the RV. The tires I have on right now will be fine for the next 8 months......  (in March/April).

Hey bruddah........  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: seems to be your modus operandi as of late. :)

amarine1 said:
Regarding the load, file that under no $@#t sherlock..... ;)

Of course I've already gone over all that and will be presenting said info the the tire dealer of choice. But I suspect that will be in the spring once the drama with our sister subsides...... and I will be looking to drive some decent distances with the RV. The tires I have on right now will be fine for the next 8 months......  (in March/April).

We agree to disagree, you have at least one tire now in dire straights that I would replace ASAP, just sayin, your choice to keep it on there.  :eek:

I found some off brand tires called Samson for my RV (same size as yours on a 34 foot Georgie boy), I was able to change out all 6 for about 1000 dollars.  I was skeptical at first but tried them because I was broke and had 10 year old tires that needed replacing.  So far so good they are working great and handle very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom