1997 prowler: I don't know where to crank open the slide outs? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scdauphin

I just bought an old Prowler and I don't know how to crank out the slide outs. Where do the cranks go?

Welcome to The RV Forum!

Usually the slideouts are electrically operated from the trailer's 12 volt battery.  There should be a toggle switch inside the trailer to run the slide in or out, usually near the entry door.  Make sure the door stays open to let air in and out of the trailer while the slide is moving, this makes it much easier on the motor.

Do you have a good battery in the trailer?  If not, use some jumper cables to get power from your car battery.  Usually the converter will provide enough power to operate the slideout if you plug the trailer into electricity.

If you bought it from a private owner, I would think that they would show you or at the very least if the slide was out somehow the slide had to be put in before you towed it. So if you cannot find the switch, ask the folks that you purchased it from. If it came from a dealer, by all means someone there had to have operated the slide too. My neighbor has an older camper and the his switch in located on the side of his kitchen cabinet on his layout, right out in the open.

If your unit has a crank, this explains how you can do it if your electrical mechanism is not working . By the way what model and type do you have? Maybe look on you tube too. There is not much that's not on it. I say ask you tube
https://traveltips.usatoday.com/manually-open-electric-slide-travel-trailer-103311.html

And there are several articles on this link with similar type units.
https://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorhome/bcpgs-99-prowler-fifth-wheel-slide-nor.html

Lou Schneider said:
Usually the converter will provide enough power to operate the slideout if you plug the trailer into electricity.
That's not always the case Lou. Right above my slide out switches is a label saying a battery has to be installed to operate the slide outs.

Thanks everyone,

According to the owner's manual, you are supposed to find the access point and crank. I don't think they had electric in 1997 models.

scdauphin said:
Thanks everyone,

According to the owner's manual, you are supposed to find the access point and crank. I don't think they had electric in 1997 models.

Well its by a process of deduction, look around the slide on the bottom or sides with the slide in. Did you go back to the person you purchased it to? That should be the first place to ask if you do not see anything that sticks out to you.

Had to help move a motor home with slide out.. Took 3 of us to get it in.  Park host operated the switch. Groundskeeper and I pushed and between the three of us and the converter we had the OOMPH to retract it...  One of the jacks also gave me a bit of fun but I have tools for that.

Got it moved no proglem after that though>

There are basically two arrangements for slide outs.. IF they are manual and in some cases electric look for a round hole somewhere.. it may have a plug in it that pops out or screws out  odds are the crank goes in there.

If not.. Well then it's "good luck" time... mine is an electric slide system so.. Good luck time (I know how to do it but unless you have the same system I can't help)

Are the slices in or out?  IF in is there a "Basement" under them?  a photo of the slide system helps

I am familure with several and other members of the forum know several more.

Some older park models used tip out rooms.  Instead of sliding in and out, they tipped on a hinge along the bottom edge and laid on their backs on the trailer floor.  In the out position these are distinguished by a radius curved roof so they'd clear the cutout as they tipped in.

On my old Powler (92) the manual slide attachment point was in the wheel well opposite the slide. Just a small hole to put the crank into. It was almost impossible to turn unless you first disconnected the motor. The motor (electric) was located on the opposite side of the 5er near the other wheel well.

NMDriver said:
On my old Powler (92) the manual slide attachment point was in the wheel well opposite the slide. Just a small hole to put the crank into. It was almost impossible to turn unless you first disconnected the motor. The motor (electric) was located on the opposite side of the 5er near the other wheel well.

Same as in my old Prowler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
video7
Back
Top Bottom