1998 Newmar Mountain Aire starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xPONYTAILSx

Hiya guys and gals :) So my husband and I just got a really good deal on our first motorhome. Here's the backstory on it. It has sat for a few years because the starter took a poo. The owner wanted to get out from the lot rent so he sold it to my brother-in-law. They had one of my sons assist them in taking the starter out with intentions to get it rebuilt. Well they ended up having to get a different starter. They get the starter and go to put it in with my husband's assistance. My son did not label any of the wires to either side of the starter. We called him back over to show what went where and he had no clue. All he did was take it out SMH. So needless to say the starter is sitting there not hooked up. My husband is certified in diesel mechanics but there are so many wires he has no clue and doesn't want to mess it . The in-laws gave up and sold it to us. I have been searching and trying to find where I can find a diagram or anything to know what wires go with what to no avail. I just actually contacted Newmar to see if they could assist me also. If anyone else has any other ideas I would be so appreciative. We are at a loss and really want to get this done so we can take it home and get out of paying lot rent where it is sitting.

Search on the internet for "newmarowners" forum. There should be a lot of help there.
I no longer have the URL as they moved after we sold and I have not kept up as we no longer RV

If you go by the engine make and model instead of the Newmar name and model,, you can just go to the engine manufacterer for the info you need.. I'm sure it will be a Cummins, but you need the model and engine serial number to get exact information from Cummins..>>>Dan

Newmar used a Freightliner chassis on their 1998 diesel coaches, so that is a potential source of wiring diagrams as well. Freightliner Custom Chassis has excellent support services.

This supposes it is a diesel coach. The Mountainaire was also available as a gas-engine chassis back then and used a Ford F53 chassis. Which is it?

Here's the 1998 Mountainaire brochure - may have some useful info for you:

Newmar also has an online database of info for owners. It's called Newgle and you can establish a free account at https://www.newmarcorp.com/owner-tools/newgle/

Last edited:
Its a diesel coach. I signed up for Newgle last night. They said it takes a couple days for the account to be created so just waiting on that also. I just let my husband know this and he is going to crawl under there again and get the numbers I need. Thank you all so very much for your help. It is very much appreciated

Get the last 6 digits of the VIN number and call Freightliner Custom Chassis help line, 1-800-FTL-HELP. They can identify the original starter and maybe have some wiring info they could send. Or quote to you over the phone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom