1999 gulf stream, roof leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Superstock

After extra heavy wind and rain I discovered a leak at the front joint on my MH. I have dried, cleaned and have a temporary fix. I am not satisfied with the dicor self leveling lap joint sealent. It looks like crap, and it has loosened the rubber roofing near the joint. I am fully capable of doing this repair but I am looking for what might be the best lap joint sealent to use once the weather is more cooperative. I also have some of the lap joint tape is this a good choice? Thank You.
Gary

Many on this site recommend the Eternabond tape. It is an apply once and forget product. I did all the seams on my roof just as a preventative measure.

Bill

The roof is EPDM rubber? I can't imagine the Dicor loosening it. Did somebody perhaps use mineral spirits or other petroleum-base solvent to clean the seam before laying down the Dicor? Most any petroleum-base solvent will loosen the adhesive used on EPDM if applied with more than a dampened cloth. The EPDM is porous enough that the solvent penetrates and loosens the adhesive underneath. The competitive brand of RV lap sealant is Alpha Systems #1015 Self Leveling, but there are many other brands as well, e.g. Nova, Nu-flex, etc.

The alternative to lap sealant is Eternabond tape, a truly excellent product. It's available in white to match the roof too. Comes in widths from 2" to 24".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Floss71
Back
Top Bottom