2 30 amp to 50 amp conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pmf said:
I've read that all the state parks in Georgia have 2 30 amp if it isn't 50 amp any the manager of the Park is the one that told me about it. So I'm going forward with it. Should we use a surge protector or no?

Thanks again,
Pat

We camped last weekend at Tugaloo State park, Lavonia, GA and all of the sites near our site (Premium-waterfront) had the dual 30A outlets plus one 20A GFCI.  A family member camping near us purchased a twin-30A to 50A adapter to power their motor home. We were able to get by with just a 30 to 50A dog-bone adapter for our 5th wheel. We had 4 campsites occupied by family.
Also, just to note, the loads are not balanced for multiple sites on these twin 30A power feeds. Depending on which 30A receptacle the camper chooses (right or left), the loads on a specific phase can and will cause the voltages to to drop, possibly enough to cause brown-out conditions on one phase.  I measured the two outlets at the motor home site before attaching the adapter to the shore power cord and the voltages measured were 119VAC and 114VAC at the twin 30A receptacles and 116VAC and 114VAC after attaching shore power cord to motorhome (with Air condition running).  As the park filled up, the AC volts declined to 115VAC and 112VAC.

We have stayed at other GA state parks that have the 50A receptacle in the power pedestal, so not all GA parks have the twin 30A pedestal to service 50A power requirements.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardp
Back
Top Bottom