2000 Coachman Catalina water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KY23

Just bought a 2000 Coachman Catalina M210.  I de-winterized it and all seems well except I can't figure out how to turn on the water heater.  It has a panel outside and a button inside that says "heater" but can't seem to figure out how to get it going.  Water is flowing through the heater but its a propane heater and there is no flame or any way I can see to turn it on.  The propane is on and the stove lights up just fine.

Anyone know where the switch to turn this water heater on?

I once had a Coachman and it had a switch near the Sewer , water, and battery gauge next to the stove on the wall of the fridge.

I believe that is where mine is also.  There is a gauge that shows water levels, a water pump switch and a switch that says heater.  I can push that switch on and a green light comes on and stays on but I don't hear anything and nothing lights in the outside compartment.

Maybe I have to turn the gas on at the heater outside?  It was winterized but I don't see a knob or anything.  There is a small allen screw but thats all I see.

The LP switch for my water heater on my 2000 Coachmen Catelina in in the washroom, furthest switch on the right.  It will turn green if the heater starts, or stay red if it doesnt.  I have no seperate gas valve at the heater as far as I can remember.  Mine had an electric element added after the fact, and it works well, just added an electrical switch beside the tank that you turn off when you don't want hot water, or ignore when you are plugged into 110.

Well the only switch I have in the bathroom is the light switch on the side of the sink cabinet.  No other switches.  I've called and left a message with the prior owner and he hasn't called me back.  They weren't very responsive before the sell so I doubt I'll hear from them.  I'm going to take the RV in to a service center for new tires soon so I'll just ask them I guess.

I'm wondering if you have a "DSI" switch on the water heater.  We have the same set up you do, you press the water heater toggle and a green light comes on, then it goes out.  It means the "direct spark igniter" is on and when the water needs to be heated the DSI ignites the propane and heats up the water.  When we first reach the campground and flip the switch, the green light comes on and so does the propane if the water temp is low.  If it's the right temp, the green light goes on, then goes off and nothing happens, but the "DSI" is ready.

Marsha~

Open the water heater door and listen for sparking when someone inside turns the switch on. If you hear it, it may just be a problem with getting fresh propane to the heater after sitting for a long time. Simply flip the switch on and off 20 or 30 times slowly and see if that doesn't get it going. Also check the orifice in the burner for mud dauber activity or other blockage. The gas line will have (usually) two electrically operated gas valves; both must operate to allow gas to flow. You should hear them(it) click when the switch is turned on. If you don't hear them(it) click or don't hear the spark, you probably have an electrical problem: 1) bad connection at the control board or gas valves or thermostat or overtemp cutoff (remove and clean), 2) bad control board, 3) bad gas valve, or 4) mis-adjusted spark gap in the burner tube. 

Ok guys...figured it out.  Started going through each wire that should have power with the multimeter and found a line with a small thermal fuse that was the problem.  Went to radio shack, bought a new thermal fuse and I was good to go.  Water heater is working fine now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom