2000 Safari Continental

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shayne

Wow I was just scanning RV sales and ventured upon PPL's ad.  they have a 41' DP with 55K miles that ACCORDING to pics is absolutely spotless for 89K  Now according to NADA that's about 30K less than low book.  If the Boss would approve I'd head there for a look see.  That's about the best deal I've seen anywhere for a long long time.  Thinking  but she'll say no, cause she doesn't like RVing    What a waste.    HMMMMMMMMMM

Caution, Caution -> 2000 Safari Continental

Now according to NADA that's about 30K less than low book.

Getting a 2000 Safari Continental for free, along with a $1000 bonus would be overpaying and you would be acquiring a coach that would lead you into a maze of problems that have no resolution  ie cannot be fixed.

I know a number of people first hand who have owned these, and can list several basic construction issues with that coach that could not be corrected by the Safari and later by Monaco factory service.

They include faulty brakes that overheat and seize, front and rear caps that cannot be secured resulting in constant cracked windshields and side panel windows.  The window manufacturer no longer exists, BTW so if you break a side window, you're on your own.  There are a number of internal errors in wiring, for which there are no wiring diagrams, and the list goes on and on.

I have never been known as a supporter of Safari products because of my own first hand experience with a defective coach, but the information I am citing on the 2000 Continental comes from first hand information from people I know personally.

They were dumped at a great loss to their original owners in exchange for other brands, and now they are finding their way into the used market where unsuspecting first time buyers might be caught buyiing a very sour lemon.

Steve said:
.... resulting in constant cracked windshields and side panel windows.

Steve, Monaco really does try to support Safari owners but, as example of what you said, one Safari owner camped next to me at a Monaco service center said he was on his 7th windshield.

FWIW the old Safari plant in Harrisburg, OR is currently one of Monaco's service centers. Monaco kept the Safari cabinet shop intact and it now supplies the cabinets for all new Monaco brand coaches.

Tom,

I believe Monaco is doing their best whenever possible.  One Forum member I know was really helped above and beyond expectations in resolving his problem, but I don't believe someone buying a used 2000 Continental would stand much of a chance.

The fact is in the cases I know of first hand, the front and rear caps of their coaches were removed and attempts were made to reinforce them to no avail.

I would strongly urge Shayne to stay away from that coach or any other Safari or Beaver of that vintage.  Our winter home was once filled with these coaches, and they have all been dumped under duress.  IOW owners lost a lot of money on those trades because the shoddy construction of Safari's and Beavers was well known in the industry.

While Monaco has gone way beyond what would be considered fair in trying to support some of the Safari junk the inherited there is only so much that can be done with a poorly designed sloppy built unit.  IMHO it looks like as it got closer to Safari going belly up the worse they got.  While I know a few that had good luck with their Safari/s I know more folks  that did not.  In some cases Monaco went way beyond their call of duty and did get some units more reliable.

Exceptions to every rule. If wife would allow me  I would certainly take a chance on it. But I know better for now.  Continental has been a fine coach and I know 8 or 10 people that have them and love them.  But thing by the pics is gorgeous.

Well been enough time has lapsed and I'm most of the bugs are gone by now.  If not  on a 8 year old unit its buyer beware anyway.  Columbus took a chance and as I recall he didn't fall off the edge.  Life is a chance in it's self.  Still it's a fine looking unit.  I'm sure that anyone pay that kind of money new and than have it that long, it's been sure taken care of.  JMO

Heck that might be me if I had enough nerve to suggest it to the spouse.  Naw I better not.

Shayne said:
Heck that might be me if I had enough nerve to suggest it to the spouse.  Naw I better not.

In this case Shayne I think you are a smart man first not to make the spouse mad and second deciding to pass this one up for what ever reason made you to pass it up.

An RV is bought for enjoyment and relief from stress.  There is nothing worse than getting stuck on the side of an eight lane expressway, with brakes seized or other major component failure witing for a tow truck to haul away the coach for repair. 

Then on every outing, there is a failure of one component or another, parts falling off or windows cracking.  When a windshield or other window cracks, it involves duct tape on the window, hoping it won't fall out while driving to getting it repaired, only to find out that size is no longer made and has to be custom made and will take three months to get.

Heck that might be me if I had enough nerve to suggest it to the spouse.

You are a man with unusual courage.

yep and I could die tomorrow if the good Lord above decides it's time.  Those things don't bother me  Lest you forget at our dealership years ago we sold Winnebago and so we've been down that road before.  This was in the 60s and 70s  Workman ship of the lesser expensive units haven't gotten a whole lot better.  Some companies never seem to change.  Theres good and bad in all.  Some companies such as Tiffin seem to take a bit of pride as well as many other high end units.  You get what you pay for.  But 30K below low book would give you lots of Bucks to gamble on was my whole point.  The engine is still Cummins, Cat, or or Detroit I,m sure everything else is still the same as all other MH as to appliances .  so 8 yr old gamble is just that same as any other 8 year old unit.  Again JMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothious
Back
Top Bottom