2000 Watt Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rsl said:
I found this when doing some google-ing to try to figure out about the need for one or 2 honda 2000's.  Has anyone tried this, does it work?  Looks like alot of mixed reviews but might say $1k on a 2nd honda 2k if it works.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/05/27/rv-air-conditioner-hard-start-capacitor
Hard start capacitors have been around quite awhile, if connected properly, they should provide added and necessary boost for compressor start-up in some situations.  After all, they are just more of what the manufacture has in the unit in the first place.  They may assist with a 2k unit and a 13.5k aircon unit on those super hot and repetitive starts, however don't believe it's going to stretch a 2k genset into starting a 15k aircon... although I'm no expert in HVAC that's for sure.  Matter of meeting the amp requirement that is provided by your units posted requirements I guess.  I will actually have one of them in the toolbox this summer though, if it's make or break, may save the day... they are inexpensive and may make me a hero with DW....

Gary RV Roamer said:
Your a/c may already have the start capacitor built in - mine came from the factory that way.
Exactly, believe this is just basic with regards to the way they are engineered.. I have a neighbour, that is in the business, will ask his opinion on if a larger capacitor is sensible or playing with possible damage in the making.  Will provide feedback.

most package a/c units will have a run capacitor in them....a hard start kit is a START capcitor and relay combo...it installs in parallel with the hermetic side of the run cap...it WILL help a compressor start easier....also a timer can be added to keep the compressor from trying to start too soon after it shuts off by the thermostat...about 5 minutes will allow the high and low side pressures to equalize and the compressor will start as easy as it did on initial startup.

(22 years doing a/c installations and repairs)

Just remember that it takes more to start an air conditioner at higher temperatures, and a gas engine loses power as you gain altitude.

If your generator's starting capacity is marginal on a 70 degree day at sea level, it probably won't be up to the task when you really need it - when the temperature's pushing the 100 mark.  Or if you're more than a couple of thousand feet in elevation.

I know my RV Comfort Mach (Coleman) heat pumps have the hard start capacitor - I just replaced the one in the front a/c yesterday as a precaution, after losing the start capacitor in the rear a/c last summer on a 98 degree day.  I kept the old one as a spare, just in case.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I know my RV Comfort Mach (Coleman) heat pumps have the hard start capacitor - I just replaced the one in the front a/c yesterday as a precaution, after losing the start capacitor in the rear a/c last summer on a 98 degree day.  I kept the old one as a spare, just in case.
I'm ordering one this weekend, was it a big deal to figure out or pretty straight forward?  Wondering if I should go up there, take the cover off and see what I have prior to ordering.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Thanks for the feedback. I saw anotherreport that suggests the newer Boliy's are more reliable than the early ones. I heard (no verification) that there is a new distributor who is providing better service and support too.
Well, this is the last post for this, it finally got warm enough and we had the time to test the Boliy with the 15k aircon.  Put the genset in front of the trailer, plugged the trailer into the genset with the 50' cord that we ran under the underbelly to the 50amp service plug in the rear.  The reason for the cord is that we stop plenty of times in the summer (walmarts or what-ever) and keep the genset in the back of the truck.  After a day of driving and having temps way to high to sleep, we like starting the genset without hassle.  Everything works good, the 10/3 cord carries the voltage fine.  Still impressed with the capacity / price / fuel consumption specs with this unit.  Finally, got this nice cover for the genset for our Nascar outtings, it makes an already quiet unit even quieter.  Got a clip-on fan for underneath the cover, this should help with heat distro while at Bristol, have been down there while the temps were over 100deg for multiple days.

Attachments

• 100_1222sm.JPG
    100_1222sm.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 43
Realize this is an old thread, however in all fairness, wanted to provide update on using the Boliy.....  As advertised, the Boliy had no problems starting our 15k aircon unit (I did install one of those Supco Capacitors though to assist) and after many 10's of hours of use, we are still satisfied.  However, we have had the opportunity to test out the warranty service, hence reason for this post.  At the end of August, the battery went dead in the Boliy (still worked with pull cord) and shortly there after the unit stopped producing AC power.  I contacted where we purchased and they referred me to a business that is responsible for warranty claims.  This individual was honest right from the start and stated that the inverter module on the 2010 models had some returns and was redesigned.  The choice was given to send the unit back for repair or they would send me the new battery and the inverter unit.  I choose the latter, taking my time it took less than an hour to repair, (did some cleaning maintenance along the way) the unit is back to normal.  First thing I noticed is the redesigned inverter module has 4 smaller capacitors vs the 3 x 1k capacitors on the original.  Anyway, while it's unfortunate that the unit had problems, I was pleasantly surprised by the upfront honest way the problem was handled.  In after-repair testing, the unit seems to handle the 15k aircon start even better than it did in the past, with much less rpm change of the motor.

In any event, considering I've expressed positively in prior posts, I thought it only fair to relate the problem that we had as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom