2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40 RH Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bburks

Hello Everyone
Just joined the forum and thinking about buying a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40 RH Motorhome.....first of all not sure what the RH stand for if anything? RH= Residential Home maybe?

Next i know Tiffin is known for quality and Bob Tiffin seems to be a saint at the Tampa RV show signing cabinet doors etc..... I hear the units dont have the greatest gas mileage.

Open to hear anything good bad or ugly about my new baby that would help me with my decisions.

Also open for sharing of knowledge about checklist and driving tips etc as I am new to the RV road lifestyle but looking forward to learning all i can as I have health issues and going to retire early and enjoy what life i have left...

Thanks so much and SAFE TRAVELs to all!! :)

Check out our library (link near top of page) for checklists, what newbies should know, and much other good information that may help you.

A Phaeton is a decent rig, but so are Monacos, Newmars and several other brands of the same vintage and size. Tiffin's reputation for service was built in an earlier time when they could afford to make factory appointments for most anyone, and quality is matched by several other brands as well. My understanding is that those appointments are much more limited today, though I expect they still do a good job for those they work on. But a 14 year old rig isn't dependent on factory service, and there are many places which can do a fine job on most any brand.

No 40' RV will have "the greatest gas mileage." Typical fuel mileage for a DP (Diesel Pusher, i.e. rear engine diesel) will run from about 5 mpg to (perhaps a few at) 10 mpg under the right conditions, with 7-9 being more common. Of course headwinds, hills, speed, stop-and-go, and other factors also affect mileage. My 50,000 lb. 2007 45' Beaver with 525HP got 5-6 mpg, mostly, while my current 36,000 lb. 2016 Newmar 360 HP Ventana gets (mostly) 8-10, with 10 being fairly level with some tailwind, but more commonly it's 8.5-9 mpg.

Do note that floor plan is an extremely important factor in selecting what to buy, so don't limit yourself to a single model (or even a single manufacturer) when looking. And at that age, floor plan and condition are the two very most important factors, once price is within your range. Again, nothing wrong with the Phaeton, just trying to make sure you don't get locked in by infatuation. Look at MANY rigs, many floor plans, then spend a little time in the more promising one(s) and imagine yourself living in it, cooking, watching TV, showering, sleeping, dealing with a cold, rainy day, visiting with possible guests, etc.

You might also take note that rigs in the class you're looking at have quite a few different systems on board, some of them complex. 12 VDC and 120 VAC electric systems, including generators, plug in to shore power with Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS), CONverters, INverters, sometimes fancy computer-controlled lighting systems, refrigerators (may be residential or may be RV-style that run on 120 VAC or propane, but need 12 VDC for controller. Furnace may be propane, water heater may be propane and/or 120 VAC, or both may be replaced by a hydronic system (Aqua Hot, Oasis, et al) that runs from both diesel and 120 VAC (or one at a time).

When I first got my Beaver, I spent a large part of my spare time for a month reading the manuals and learning about the various systems on board. And I've only scratched the surface of what might be there.

So be aware of the potential complexity.

So be aware of the potential complexity.
[/quote]

That was the first thing I thought of Larry.  That is a lot of rig for your first.  I guess it depends on your background.  If you were a truck driver who did diesel work on the side you are probably in good shape.  If you commuted 4 miles in your Honda Civic before this, you maybe are biting a lot off.

Hi bburks, welcome aboard. Larry gave you some good info. But concerning the "RH", who knows.  Manufacturers use all sorts of cryptic terminology.  You'll likely find that that 40 foot coach is actually a foot or 2 longer.

Tiffin got famous for two things: excellent factory customer service and high value (good features your money).  I don't think they are any better built than similar models from other builders, though.  And yes, Bob Tiffin is a saint - his company always stands behind the product, no matter what. However, Tiffin has grown so much that getting into the factory for service, or even getting to talk with someone has become a chore.  I'm not knocking Tiffin - just trying to give you a realistic view.

As for fuel mileage, they are the same as anybody else. Coach size,weight, and engine performance has some effect, but an '05 Phaeton will perform much like an '05 Winnebago Journey or '05 National Tropi-cal, all of which use the same basic Freightliner chassis/engine and and have similar body size. I'd estimate 7-8 mpg as long as your foot isn't too heavy. Cruise between 60 and 65 mph.

Bburks said:
Hello Everyone
Just joined the forum and thinking about buying a 2005 Tiffin Phaeton 40 RH Motorhome.....first of all not sure what the RH stand for if anything? RH= Residential Home maybe?

Next i know Tiffin is known for quality and Bob Tiffin seems to be a saint at the Tampa RV show signing cabinet doors etc..... I hear the units dont have the greatest gas mileage.

Open to hear anything good bad or ugly about my new baby that would help me with my decisions.

Also open for sharing of knowledge about checklist and driving tips etc as I am new to the RV road lifestyle but looking forward to learning all i can as I have health issues and going to retire early and enjoy what life i have left...

Thanks so much and SAFE TRAVELs to all!! :)
Here is a link to all of the Tiffin brochures:  https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/resources/brochures

And here is a link to the brochure for the 2005 Phaeton:  https://tiffinmotorhomes-rcgarkskyk9ln7qkrx.stackpathdns.com/uploads/model-brochure/Phaeton-Brochure/Phaeton-Brochure-2005.pdf

As to what does the RH stand for?  Sometimes it means something like RK for Rear Kitchen in a 5th wheel, or a RB for a rear bath in a MH.  Other times it is just some letters to indicate the model.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom