2013 Winnebago ERA 170x -- one of a kind ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UNCJIMMY

Hi, I just got back from taking a look at a 2013 Winnebago era 170x (aka 70x).  When comparing the vehicle to the online brochure, I find some very odd differences.

1.  This sprinter chassis is powered by a M272 gas engine, .vs. the standard diesel.  Anyone else have a gas powered ERA mercedes sprinter ?  good gas milage ?  Owners said yes, but have never computed mpg.  (owned less than a year)

2.  The graphics on the outside of the van are limited (no ERA lettering, no swoops - I like this) but very different from the Winnebago brochure - could this be due to a custom order ?

3.  The fresh water tank is actually raised up above the floor level about 3-4" under the sofabed.  The brouchure indicates that the tank is under floor with a slide out draw in the back above the floor under the sofabed.  Nice feature but not in this unit ?

Otherwise the Van matches the brochure
Any ideas on why the differences from the standard 70x model ? I don't see any options of this sort listed for that year, or 2012 or 2014. 

Appreciate any insights in advance,
Jim

There are certain models of Winnebagos that are created for the rental market.  They sometimes have model names different from the main line, different features, and sometimes reduced graphics.  They are bought and rented out by companies and then put on the market when newer models come out.  I'm wondering if this is one of them?

emiddleb said:
There are certain models of Winnebagos that are created for the rental market.  They sometimes have model names different from the main line, different features, and sometimes reduced graphics.  They are bought and rented out by companies and then put on the market when newer models come out.  I'm wondering if this is one of them?
Good thought, according to Carfax, it was in limbo for over 2 years 10/2012-06/2015 before the first title was issued after import to U.S.  Could have sat on dealers lot that long I supposed or been a rental during that time ?

Import to the US??  You must mean the chassis VIN but for an RV chassis to be older, it is not unusual to be 1-2 years behind the date of manufacture of an RV and it is in storage for a while before being needed. Most manufacturers, like Winnebago, buy a number of chassis, store them and then build on them as needed. Title is issued only when the completed vehicle is first sold to a consumer and it should reflect the VIN  supplied by the RV manufacturer, not the original chassis VIN.  In the past, errors by some DMV's have sometimes resulted in the chassis VIN being used.

Alfa38User said:
Import to the US??  You must mean the chassis VIN but for an RV chassis to be older, it is not unusual to be 1-2 years behind the date of manufacture of an RV and it is in storage for a while before being needed.

The vehicle sticker on the drivers door indicates that incomplete vehicle manufactured by Mercedes benz llc 08/2012, then also it indicates with VIN, Manufactured by Winnebago IND. INC  11/2012, so 4 months later.  Carfax shows import date into U.S. as 10/2012 (chassis as you say), indicating it took 1-2 months to complete build (maybe begin of Oct to end of Nov) as a 2013 model.  Then Carfax lists first title issued as 06/2015.  Seems a long time before first sale.

Sometimes chassis won't get used for several months - that's quite common. You could have a "2019" RV with a 2018 chassis or maybe even a 2017 chassis. Winnebago typically releases the next model year about July.

Back
Top Bottom