2020 Ford F-250 Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gpcvg

Is anyone towing a fifth wheel with a 2020 F-250 with the High Capacity Towing package? I have a DRW F350 that I use to tow and as my daily driver. It's getting to be tough driving that beast daily. Just wondering.

With 5th Wheel Camping trailers, it all comes down to the available payload of the truck. In almost every instance, you will reach the payload capacity of the truck, long before you reach the towing capacity of the truck.  And remember, it's not just the pin weight of the camper, you also have to remember to add up the weight of the 5ver hitch as well as Anything and Everything that goes in/on the truck....including passenger(s), truckbed toolbox, extra fuel, generator, firewood, etc.  Find the white sticker with the yellow highlighted area on the driver side door post and see what the actual payload number is for YOUR truck....not some advertisement number or brochure number about what the truck could be if properly equipped.

Maybe they've improved over the past 15 years but my 2005 F250 diesel was the worst ride I ever had.  And I bought it thinking it would be much better than the 1 ton.  Big mistake.  The extra carrying capacity of a 1 ton over the 3/4 ton is critical if you plan on pulling a heavier RV. 

The only assured difference will be the DRW vs SRW rear axle. Other than that, it's a matter of how the two are configured.  An F250 with High Capacity Tow gets a lot of upgrades, but the F350 DRW may already have the same or very similar ones.  It's likely that the F350 DRW has a higher payload than the F250, but not guaranteed. For example, a DRW diesel often has a lower payload than a gas 250 SRW, and sometimes same or less than  a 250 diesel (the extra pair of wheels cuts a couple funded lbs from the payload).

As far as day-to-day drivability, I think the extra width of the DRW is the only notable difference. Suspension, mpg and overall length are going to be much the same if the trucks have similar options.

Here's a High Capacity Tow description I found online:

Ford refers to its heavy duty trailer kit for the F-250 Super Duty pickup truck as the High Capacity Trailer Tow Package, or the 535 option. It?s an improvement over the standard tow package that the F-250, the F-350 and the F-450 Super Duty pickup trucks already come with.

Adding the Ford High Capacity Trailer Tow Package on your F-250 upgrades a lot of its components, in addition to equipping it with some new features. The standard tow package comes with 7 wire harness with 4 and 7 pin connectors, hitch receiver, smart trailer tow connector, trailer brake wiring, Tow/Haul modes, trailer brake controller and trailer sway control.

The High Capacity Trailer upgrades adds lightweight Aluminum wheels with what Ford calls a ?Polished Platinum? finish to the whole setup, as well as a rear axle upgrade and increased GCW. An F-250 without a trailer tow package comes with a standard 2 ? inch receiver, while an upgraded truck uses a larger 3 inch receiver. You also get a 2 ? inch reducer adapter for it, so you can still use your existing mounts without having to upgrade.

I'll add this to Gary's info on high capacity option.....
Ford "heavy service pack" or "camper package" option for the F250 has the same front and rear spring packs as a F350 srw.
  So yeah a F250 may ride as stiff as a one ton srw Ford.....depending on suspension options.

Most 250/2500 trucks with a diesel option are the most under rated LDTs on the road....when we look at the mechanical specs.

Is anyone towing a fifth wheel with a 2020 F-250 with the High Capacity Towing package? I have a DRW F350 that I use to tow and as my daily driver. It's getting to be tough driving that beast daily. Just wondering.
To answer your question, I have a 2020 F250 with the HCTP and I tow a Reflection 28BH 5th wheel without any issues. I am right at the sticker limit of my truck but in fact all the suspension and drivetrain components are exactly the same as an F350 SRW so there is a large margin of safety in the components despite the sticker not reflecting this.

This truck is also a daily driver for me and I have no complaints about the ride as it is a truck and I would expect it to ride like a truck and not a luxury car. The ride is the same as a previous F350 SRW I used to own before this.

If the ladies refuse to ride in your truck because it rides like a truck it's set up just about right.

Air bags and adjustable shocks may help.

My complaint about my F250 was that the suspension was too mushy. Going over expansion joints in roads made the truck and fiver 'porpoise' like crazy. I ran 80PSI when towing and 5 when commuting.

You really are not going to like the 250 after having the 350. I did the same thing went from an 05 2500 GM to a 08 chev dually back to a 2013 chev 3500 srw to a 17 ford dually. I will never go back to a srw the dually is soooo nice to tow with and as of yesterday i just bought a 44'5" Voltage 4185 with a pin of over 3500lbs dry so really closer to 4000lbs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OhDis
Back
Top Bottom