2021 Newmar Fred

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry N.

I just received the Newmar "newsletter" this morning. It is announcing the 2021 Canyon Star Front Engine Diesel. I now there are folks who've asked about a FRED from time to time, so thought I'd let you know. From their website:

The 2021 Canyon Star was redesigned to better suit your trips. Starting from the ground up, the Canyon Star is now available exclusively on a Freightliner? MC Chassis that features a Cummins ?B? diesel engine with 340 horsepower and 700 lb./ft. of torque. With all of that power, it?s easier to haul your favorite recreational toys around with you, like ATVs or motorcycles. In fact, the toy hauler model?floor plan 3927?is the only Class A front-engine diesel toy hauler on the market today.

The brochure is available here: https://www.newmarcorp.com/diesel-motor-coaches/canyon-star/brochure/

You're right about the noise, and I'm not aware of advantages, generally speaking, but there are a number of folks over the years who have asked about them. And in this case it appears that there is one possible advantage, for some folks; the fact that one option is a class A toy hauler, instead of the usual requirement of a toy hauler being a trailer.

Larry N. said:
You're right about the noise, and I'm not aware of advantages, generally speaking, but there are a number of folks over the years who have asked about them. And in this case it appears that there is one possible advantage, for some folks; the fact that one option is a class A toy hauler, instead of the usual requirement of a toy hauler being a trailer.

Good point about a toy hauler. Hard to do with a big motor cluttering up the rear bumper.

What is the advantage of a FRED vs DP?
Only one: it's much cheaper.  It's lower in GVWR and the front engine is noisier in the cab area (same as a front gas engine).  But compared to a front gas chassis, it has many advantages.

https://www.fcccrv.com/chassis/mc/

Back
Top Bottom