29' Fun Finder 266KIRB w/ F-150

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msquared100

I'm new and did a quick search but didn't find anything on this subject.  I have two topics and could use the advice of experienced RV'rs.

1) I have an opportunity to get a 2014 29' Fun Finder 266KIRB.  It's in great shape.  What's everyone experience with this manufacturer/model?  Is Cruiser RV a quality manufacturer?  IS the 266KIRB a good model that's relatively trouble free?

2) I'll be towing with a 2015 F-150 Supercrew 3.5 turbo and the Max tow package.  It looks like this trailer has a gross weight of 7500 lbs.  My trucks has a max trailer weight rating of 11,700 so I think I'm good but I'd welcome any feedback/advice from anyone towing a similar size weight/size trailer.

I'm an RV greenhorn.  Be gentle.  Thank you.

We have enjoyed our Fun Finder.  It's much smaller than the one you are looking at though.  In doing some modifications on ours, we have found some things well done and some things that are not.  We have friends with the same pickup you have, and a 28' foot trailer with superslide, but they weigh everything before it goes in the trailer and keep it under the limit.  They don't even load their clothes into it until they set up camp.  It does ok on the highway, but has trouble with hills.  When we took our 21' FF on a trip with lots of hills, our F150 without turbo, definitely struggled up some of the really high hills.  So I'm not sure your pickup can handle the weight of an extra slide, or if you load the trailer with all the stuff needed for a week or so.

p.s.  There is a Fun Finder Club forum where you might find more answers.

I would suggest you go through the exercise of establishing what YOUR F150 can really handle before selecting a trailer. Things like the 'supercrew cab' and trim levels etc. really lower the published usable towing/load capacity of any truck. Use the CCC from the yellow tag of YOUR truck, the combined tow rating of your truck, the expected load in the truck, (Kids, Wife, goods etc) and the VGWR of any given trailer to arrive with a  number with a safety margin built-in. A 29 ft trailer will be on the bleeding edge of the weight limits is my guess.... No trouble pulling but stopping and control in windy conditions may be questionable and make towing an unpleasant experience.

There are a number of tow calculators available on the net or you can ask for help here to establish YOUR capacities.

Stu, where can I find those load calculators on line that you mentioned?  I also cannot find the GCVWR of my Chevy silverado 1500 with the heavy duty towing package.  It's rated (by Trailer Life magazine to tow 10,500 #).  thanks, Beau

STU  X2

The GCWR should be in the towing section of your manual  or on line in a model specific spec sheet.

The CCC Stu mentioned is on the driver door B pillar.  It is exactly what it says.  How much your truck is designed to carry based on its weight as it left the factory.  Make sure the total of ALL weight carried in the truck is below this number.  This includes all passengers, pets, bicycles, toys, tools, firewood, the weight of the WD hitch and the tongue wt of the camper.

An overloaded truck will turn a fun getaway into a white knuckle nightmare.

beau2x said:
Stu, where can I find those load calculators on line that you mentioned?  I also cannot find the GCVWR of my Chevy silverado 1500 with the heavy duty towing package.  It's rated (by Trailer Life magazine to tow 10,500 #).  thanks, Beau

Here is 1 that I found using Google. Not sure if they will be useful to you. You can always ask here for help, we have several people very well versed in the subject!! Pin weight For a travel trailer 10-15% of the maximum trailer weight ( VGWR of trailer) should be used (Note: this is part of the load on the truck)
                            Fifth Wheel trailer 20-25% of the weight of the trailer is used.

http://fifthwheelst.com/rvtc_calculator.html

Great information so far from everyone. 

My truck configuration is:
2015 F150
SuperCrew
157" wheelbase
MaxTow Package (53C)

With my trucks configuration, the maximum trailer weight is 11,700 with a GCWR of 17,100.  So according to the numbers I should be fine.  But as we all know, just because the brochure states that it's possible, it doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea.  I'm curious to hear from other half ton owners that have experience pulling the weight/size trailer to hear about their experiences (good or bad). 

I have a shot at a really good deal on this 29' 266KIRB but it's only a good deal if I don't have to trade-in the new truck I just bought in January. :)

msquared100 said:
Great information so far from everyone. 

My truck configuration is:
2015 F150
SuperCrew
157" wheelbase
MaxTow Package (53C)

With my trucks configuration, the maximum trailer weight is 11,700 with a GCWR of 17,100.  So according to the numbers I should be fine.  But as we all know, just because the brochure states that it's possible, it doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea.  I'm curious to hear from other half ton owners that have experience pulling the weight/size trailer to hear about their experiences (good or bad). 

I have a shot at a really good deal on this 29' 266KIRB but it's only a good deal if I don't have to trade-in the new truck I just bought in January. :)

As mentioned before, these brochure weights are seldom accurate for YOUR truck that is outfitted with the big crew cab and other options as well as the load you plan on carrying. The CCC (Cargo Carrying Capacity) as shown on the yellow sticker (located on the B doorframe) will reflect your particular truck as it left the factory BUT.... you have to subtract from the CCC all the stuff that the factory could not have known about, for example: the number and weight of passengers, cargo, hitch weight, Pin weight etc..... to get the true capacity of the truck and then shop for a trailer with a VGWR that will fit that criteria.

Safety is critical when towing an RV Trailer. This training video discusses the importance of understanding a Truck's ratings and how these ratings limit the size of the trailer that can be safely towed. You will be provided the tools and basic understanding needed to assist your endeavor to properly match a truck and trailer, so that you can enjoy RVing safely.

http://rvsafety.com/rv-education/matching-trucks-to-trailers

As many have alluded to towing deals with more than just pulling it down the road. Wind, stopping, crooked narrow roads, semi's blowing by etc. Our previous Layton was 24' and around 7000 loaded. 2010 am 1500 4X4 Hemi, 3.55 gears did a respectable job of towing and overall handling of the TT. When we got our current Sprinter, 35' and pushing or stepping on 10,000lbs I went to the Andersen hitch and did one short weekend run using the 2010 Ram. It did a respectable job pulling, it's a Hemi, and I could tell it was tipping the limit a little and had no plans to continue using the Ram 1500. This was the last trip of the season so early spring I went to a new Ram 2500 HD. One point I would like to make is go with a very good WD hitch system. That will play a big part in overall handling. I really like the Andersen hitch for ease of use, no grease and quiet. There are several good ones out there. Happy camping.

Hi, I'm new too. What I don't think you are considering is the Payload of your truck. That's what all these other people are talking about. What it means is that even though Ford may say your max tow rating is 11,700lbs, you might not be able to tow that depending on what you put in your truck.

Let's say your payload listed on the door in the yellow sticker is 1400lbs. That is the max your truck is rated for even if the trailer weighs much less than the max towing rating. Here's an example. You've got a super crew. One would assume that's because you have a good sized family. So let's go with 2 adults and 2 teens. And maybe a Labrador Retriever. So, assuming you are like many people, your weight is maybe 200lbs. and maybe your wife is 150, your 2 kids weigh in at 250 between them and the dog weighs 80lbs. Then you'll need a weight distribution hitch at about 80lbs and the trailer you're looking at has a tongue weight at (the least 10%) 750lbs up to 1050lbs (14%) Totaled up that equals 1510lbs on the low side and 1810 on the high side. So, even though the trailer is only 7500lbs and well within the "tow ratings", your payload is already over the amount by 100lbs on the low side and a whopping 400lbs on the high side. And that's not including any food, water, extra clothing, that tool chest you installed, and anything else.

So, knowing what the CCC load limit is critical to finding out how much trailer you can tow.

His truck is very similar to mine.  He should have a CCC rating of 1840 - 1950 lbs depending on if he has 4wd.

Back
Top Bottom