2x12 concrete form lumber alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

I am costing out a project for my yard to put a garden wall 1 ft tall by 6 inches wide by 50 ft on one side and 65 ft on the other side of my driveway so that i can separate the grass from the driveway.  See image...

I calculated brick, pavers, wood and for one reason or another the best and most cost effective option is concrete.  Ill add some red and brown color streaks in the concrete mix and also use a texture roller and other stuff to make it look better.  Im also planning to put a lip around the top of it as if it had a cap stone by placing a board on the inside of the form when i pour.  I can do about 20ft at a time with 15 bags 50# bags of quikcrete.  And ill add some rebar and some metal screen inside it.  I was going to add some glass fiber but its too expensive. 

The problem and cost part is that i have to get forms to do this, i dont want to go buy 20ft 2x12 lumber as it is too expensive for this purpose. I also dont want to use the lumber off my fence and then put it back as it will be soaked with concrete. 

So im looking for a cheap alternative for the forms, used lumber, maybe a different material that will hold up to the weight (its only going to be 1 ft tall.  Maybe some kind of reimforced plastic that i can hold with stakes or something.    I wonder if  a sheet of cheap OSB would work, i could rip it long ways to get 4 panels from it.

Any ideas?    Thanks

Attachments

• gardenwallproject.jpg
    gardenwallproject.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 43
I?ve used OSB before just reinforce the back by screwing on some 2x4s for rigidity. The lumberyards around me have cull lumber heavily discounted maybe you can locate something that has defects but would still work for you?  Also Sakrete has dyes specifically made to color concrete.
Good luck.

Another option is to buy liek 16 or 20 feet and do a "Running wall" type job.. pour one bag. let it start to firm up then pour the 2nd bag. by the time it is starting to firm the first is set so you move the forms and continue in that manner.  8 feet (or less) at a time.

Not the easiest way to do it but... Not sure now much lumber you'd need (how far a bag will go) or how often you need to pour to do that

Had you thought about using railroad ties?  You wouldn't have to go 12" high. Just one course. You could anchor them with rebar driven into the ground.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Severe-Weather-Railroad-Tie-Actual-7-in-x-9-in-x-8-5-ft/50121079

Rene T said:
Had you thought about using railroad ties?  You wouldn't have to go 12" high. Just one course. You could anchor them with rebar driven into the ground.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Severe-Weather-Railroad-Tie-Actual-7-in-x-9-in-x-8-5-ft/50121079

I thought about RRT's in the beginning but then i saw my neighbor accross the street uses them and they look horrible in my opinion, i just dont like the look.  They look old and run down and not the clean crisp look im wanting to achieve.  Maybe for a mountain cabin but i dont like that look here.  :)  Now if i had a huge plainer and could plain them off where they looked nice that might be different but that is alot of money.

I like the way this project turned out is why im went with concrete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEq67rSGakk

Besides now im commited i just got my concrete hand tools delivered today from ebay  :) 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FmStars
Back
Top Bottom