30/50 AMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
I accept your apology. There is a sub set of geniuses on this forum that absolutely live for the moment they can nail me in a faux-pa. I think there is some kind of competition or a betting pool. You are the only person with enough balls to actually apologize and admit you're mistake. (that was a joke in case you don't recognize it) ;D

Thank you.
I feel better now, but I'm gonna keep watching  ---- OK?  :)

Corky

If you think of it as 100 amp service well 60+40= 100  and 75+25=100 but if you try to draw 60 or 75 amps off one leg.> CLICK and darkness is your reward
John, I don't recall anyone saying it was 100 amp service. Lots of us said there are 100 amps available, though no one said there were 100 amps on either leg, only on the two combined. Go back to the OP's post, and we were just trying to help him understand that it was a lot more than just a 20 amp difference.

When that was called BS, the fur started flying.

Right, available amps is different than the service designation.  The "Service" rating is a combination of amps and voltage, but residential service implies 240v, so is usually just referred to by the amperage.  If it was in an industrial environment where different voltages and phases are common, the "service" size would always be qualified by the service voltage, e.g. 120v, 208v, 240v, 480v, etc.

John From Detroit said:
Two answers. ONE the max amps in ANY wire is 50 amps. Hence "50 amp service"

Second and I think I already said this

If you think of it as 100 amp service well 60+40= 100  and 75+25=100 but if you try to draw 60 or 75 amps off one leg.> CLICK and darkness is your reward

But if you draw say 40 and 30 (70 amps total) it works.  The odds of your ever being able to draw EXACTLY 50 amps on both legs (Total 100) outside of an electrical/electronics lab approaches ZERO as we would say in Calculus class (Approaches zero is a common phrase there) in fact it is indistinguishable from Zero in practical life.
My question was directed at cavie. You are not cavie, you did not answer my question and your answers were wrong.

Larry N. said:
John, I don't recall anyone saying it was 100 amp service. Lots of us said there are 100 amps available, though no one said there were 100 amps on either leg, only on the two combined. Go back to the OP's post, and we were just trying to help him understand that it was a lot more than just a 20 amp difference.

When that was called BS, the fur started flying.

THe person I was replying to ask why 50+50 is not 100  it is but if you think of it as 100 amp service. well 30+70 also equals 100 but it won't deliver that.

Salesmen talk fo "100 amp service" which is the source of the confusion.

SeilerBird said:
I accept your apology. There is a sub set of geniuses on this forum that absolutely live for the moment they can nail me in a faux-pa. I think there is some kind of competition or a betting pool. You are the only person with enough balls to actually apologize and admit you're mistake. (that was a joke in case you don't recognize it) ;D

Sorry, I can't resist.  It's faux pas, not faux-pa.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faux%20pas

SeilerBird said:
Thanks Lou. I should have looked it up instead of copying what someone else wrote. Spell check failed me again.

Tuff crowd - can't even get an apology thru without scrunity.
Sorry Tom for sending you into a spelling black hole.  ;)

Corky

skydivemark said:
WOW! I can really feel the love here!
This would have been a great "discussion" - in person, after a six pack and a few shots!  :eek:

It's just one of those things that will end up being added to the list of taboo subjects...Religion, Politics and 50/100 amp service ;D ;D

Corky said:
Tuff crowd - can't even get an apology thru without scrunity.
Sorry Tom for sending you into a spelling black hole.  ;)
No need to apologize. Actually that was pretty cool. I hate being wrong and when someone corrects me and I was wrong then I appreciate it. That way I won't look so foolish in the future.

I have had it much worse. You should have been here when I was attacked for stating that WD40 is a lubricant. The fact I have been using it as a lubricant for 50 years was meaningless. The fact that the label lists lubricant as the first use on the bottle was meaningless. Forget the fact that the WD40 web site lists lubrication as the first use. And forget the fact that the main ingredient in WD40 is oil. None of that mattered, they just kept attacking me trying to tell me it is for water displacement only. They went on and on for about six or seven pages telling me I did not know what I was talking about. And you should have been here when Just Lou attacked me for mentioning I was a union electrician. You gotta have thick skin to hang with this crowd. ???

[quote author=SeilerBird]You should have been here when I was attacked for stating that WD40 is a lubricant.[/quote]
Oh, not again!
And you should have been here when Just Lou attacked me ...
Let me get a towel  ;D

SeilerBird said:
No need to apologize. Actually that was pretty cool. I hate being wrong and when someone corrects me and I was wrong then I appreciate it. That way I won't look so foolish in the future.

I have had it much worse. You should have been here when I was attacked for stating that WD40 is a lubricant. The fact I have been using it as a lubricant for 50 years was meaningless. The fact that the label lists lubricant as the first use on the bottle was meaningless. Forget the fact that the WD40 web site lists lubrication as the first use. And forget the fact that the main ingredient in WD40 is oil. None of that mattered, they just kept attacking me trying to tell me it is for water displacement only. They went on and on for about six or seven pages telling me I did not know what I was talking about. And you should have been here when Just Lou attacked me for mentioning I was a union electrician. You gotta have thick skin to hang with this crowd. ???

Lubricant? My dad told me it was for Arthritis! :eek:

cavie said:
Lubricant? My dad told me it was for Arthritis! :eek:

My wife informed me that WD-40 is NOT a Lubricant and to get it out of the bedroom ;D ;D ;D ;D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AvaRidge
Back
Top Bottom