30A power pedastle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil-t

We have a pedastle with 30 and a 20A outlets. Checking the pedestal and the distribution panel I find 4 #6 copper conductors, one unused, and a single pole 50A breaker at the distribution panel. Any way I can utilize the single 50A circuit? Can I replace the 30 receptacle in the pedestal with something bigger and make an adapter to connect to my 50A cord?
Not looking to use the 15/20A receptacle for some kind of connection.
Guess I don't fully understand what the motorhome does with a 50A RV connection in the way of using two 50A circuits.

Basically 50A allows you to run 2 AS refer, water heater etc all at once. 30A will get you 1 AC plus a bit more. If this is at home, 20A for the winter to keep batteries warm is just fine.
As for rewiring to 50A the wire size (gage) will depend on length of run. There are charts all over the internet that give you the information you need.

Is this your own panel on an owned site? It may be possible to replace the existing 50 amp single breaker with a double 50 amp breaker with the unused #6 wire connected to the second half of the breaker and the 30 amp NEMA TT-30 outlet replaced by NEMA 14-50 outllet. That would allow you to directly plug in your 50 amp RV cord without needing an adapter. I only say "may" be able to do that since we know nothing about the distribution panel, how it's wired, and the distance to the stanchion. Your motorhome uses a 50 amp 120/240 volt service the same way a sticks and bricks residence uses a higher amperage 120/240 service. There are two hot legs and one neutral, plus a safety ground, that supplies 120 volts between each hot leg and the neutral, and 240 volts between the two hot legs. Each 120 volt circuit typically supplies several sub-circuits for appliances, etc, allowing a total available draw of 12,000 watts in loads. A 30 amp RV service only supplies one 120 volt circuit to the sub-circuits with a total available draw of 3,600 watts.

In your case, I'd suggest a professional electrician be hired to evaluate what you have and determine the best way to proceed for what you want.

It will depend on how those 4 #6 wires are connected back at the distribution panel.

Beyond that Not much I can say. 30+20 is NOT 50 Why is this
both 20 and 30 are 120 volt.. 50 is 240 volt split two 50 amp legs (120 volt each) this is a highly simplified explanation.

There are several possibilities, depending on what you are trying to achieve and how much modification of the pedestal & distribution panel is practical (or allowed). The simplest is to replace the 30A/120v outlet with a 50A/240v outlet and jumper both hot pins on that outlet to the single 6 gauge wire from the single 50A breaker at the distribution panel. That's not the same as true RV 50A service, but it will allow just about everything in a typical 50A RV to function adequately. Both a/c units for sure.

You end up with a single 50A hot wire shared by the two hots of your 50A cord. In the normal RV 50A, there is 2 x 50A (not shared 50), but most 50A RVs only need a total of 40-55 amps to operate everything.

Yes, it is "my" panmel. I only looked at the distribution panel and pedestal. I see 4 #6 copper conductors at each end and I did not look at the configuratioon of the distribution panel as far as breaker type. Just that it was a single pole 50A breaker. Distance on the circuit is just under 100ft. Seems they were forward looking to 50A RV services with 4 conductors - that's my goal, and the way I will proceed. Hoping the distribution panel is configured for double pole breaker use.
Been reading about the RV 50A service and how it works, have a good understanding now.
There are several possibilities, depending on what you are trying to achieve and how much modification of the pedestal & distribution panel is practical (or allowed). The simplest is to replace the 30A/120v outlet with a 50A/240v outlet and jumper both hot pins on that outlet to the single 6 gauge wire from the single 50A breaker at the distribution panel. That's not the same as true RV 50A service, but it will allow just about everything in a typical 50A RV to function adequately. Both a/c units for sure.

You end up with a single 50A hot wire shared by the two hots of your 50A cord. In the normal RV 50A, there is 2 x 50A (not shared 50), but most 50A RVs only need a total of 40-55 amps to operate everything.
Thanks Gary, that configuration is what I am looking for, for know. Complete electrical service upgrade, to to the 40 sites here, to 50A is planned for the next year. Everything here relatively old and all the pedestal and distribution panels really need an upgrade.
Your solution will get us by very nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom