4000 Onan Generator Problem Solved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RjNovia

Generator runs very well but does not/is not providing AC power to the house. Note: All appliances and outlets work well on shore power. I need to begin the process of elimination starting with testing the generators output. If anyone knows where to connect at the generator to test for 115V "output" - please help. I assume the power is then sent to the converter then the breaker switches.

Via the helpful suggestion this problem was solved. Thank you all so much

Last edited:
Usually where to test is oboious but on a suggestion.
Find your Automatic Transfer Switch.. The "Generator" leads there is a good 1st point if it's easily accesseed
But even before you do that get out ye old flashlight.. The circuit breakers ONAN uses are 2 positon ON and Tripped/off.. If both are Tripped/off it's easy to THINK they are on.
However if you shine the light on 'em. they will have OFF printed on the moving part..

(Bit me a time or 3)

OK, first off, the converter has nothing to do with this, its purpose is to take 120v AC and make 12v DC to charge the HOUSE/COACH batteries and operate the lights, provide control power for the water heater, fridge, all power for the furnace, vent fans, etc.

Second, do you have an automatic transfer switch, -or- do you have a receptacle in the shore cord storage compartment that you plug the shore cord into, in order to get power in the house from the generator?

Third, open up the generator access door, remove the front cover, on the left will be a start/prime switch, and just to the right of that, nearly out of sight, (look down inside) will be a (usually white) toggle handle that is the output circuit breaker. There will be an automotive fuse close to it which is a 12v fuse for the control circuits.

We know your 120v panel breakers are all OK, as everything operates on shore power.

First pic is an example of a 30TT receptacle fed from the generator that you plug your shore cord into, in the shore cord storage compartment.
Second pic is similar, (but not quite the same) example of the fuse and toggle breaker for the generator output. (this is my 2500LP generator, I could not find a pic of the toggle on my motor home generator.

Charles

Attachments

• P9220232.JPG
    P9220232.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Generator fuse and breaker location and id.jpg
    Generator fuse and breaker location and id.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Did it ever work since you have owned the RV?

What year, make and model RV do you have?

I had a 1980's Mallard class C and you had to plug the generator into a receptacle to distribute it throughout the RV.

Soooo what was the problem, the answer may help someone else

Reactions: RNS
Usually where to test is oboious but on a suggestion.
Find your Automatic Transfer Switch.. The "Generator" leads there is a good 1st point if it's easily accesseed
But even before you do that get out ye old flashlight.. The circuit breakers ONAN uses are 2 positon ON and Tripped/off.. If both are Tripped/off it's easy to THINK they are on.
However if you shine the light on 'em. they will have OFF printed on the moving part..

(Bit me a time or

Hey Everyone. This is my first MH with an onboard Generator. As recommended, It was the breaker switch. I did not know one existed! I found it on the side and back behind the primer/starter switch. Its low and hard to see. I flipped the switch and everything worked. I then spent the evening feeling foolish.

Again,,, much thanks

As John noted earlier, that breaker has bit him in the arse more than once, not uncommon. For RVs you have to plug into the genny, that too has bit a few folks. However its good to know what your issue was, as it gets added to the list of common fixes.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom