454 spark plug sleeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeddyB

Hey everyone I had problems with my motorhome missing .  Changed sparkplugs and found 2 heat sleeves broken loose or rusted loose (I guess you call them sleeves)  anyway new plugs new wires and 2 sleeves missing and it's running great.

What problems might I experience from removing those 2 sleeves .  I don't think there is a way to reattach them as they rusted off. 

All comments appreciated.

Ted

The 454's were notorious for baking/burning spark plug wireswith engine heat and those "sleeves" (heat deflectors) were supposed to alleviate the problem.  Use high quality plug wires and I suggest wrapping them ina  heat-reflecting foil, which should be available at an auto parts store or a mail order place like JC Whitney.

Apparently the 454 is also famous (infamous) for cracked manifolds. My rig has what they call a "Stinger" Banks system. One of the manifolds is cracked, and I'm trying to decide if I should just replace it, or get the rest of the Banks system. (The headers) The headers alone will cost me $1000.00, plus installation. That will buy a lot of headers and gasoline!

Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom