5 cats: we are insane. Week 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohiosnowbird

So we brought the new RV home. Five cats, sat on the front porch and stared at the vehicle in the front yard. Front yard parking is a pretty redneck thing, but we’re off grid and have been for years, so this really is nothing new (we bring groceries in this way) but this vehicle is pretty modern for us. I wish I had taken a photo, but they all sat next to each other (which is rare) and stared at our new addition.

It took treats to get them to come in. One came in because he’d do anything I’d ask, the second one did too because he wasn’t going to be outdone. The third was more hesitant but came out of curiosity and the other two took several days before they willingly came in.

They like the overhead bunk, we’ve placed new and old beds there. We sacrificed a drawer in the galley for a litter-box. We’ll see how that works. We plan a sleepover soon, we’re dealing with our creature comforts too. The mattress is a rock, so that’s a priority.

We camped the night we brought the “beast” home. We’ve nicknamed my husband “the beastmaster”, we have an f150 and a large tractor so big is relative, but nothing this big. We decided to pass on the dump station (because the person at the dump station was not following dump station etiquette ie: we watched for 30 minutes as he did his dance) at the campground and decided to dump in our septic at home. Note: don’t do that again.

Next test, sleepover in the yard.

Last edited:
As log as you enjoyed the time away. I have always enjoyed watching some of the dump stations antics. You can usually tell the difference between a Newbie and an old timer. Newbie has thoughts of Robin Williams in the movie RV.

I'm impressed they came in of their own volition. I guess the next step is to see what happens when you close the door and start the engine, and it starts moving. My experience with cats is limited but I witnessed conveying my stepkid's cat to the vet once. This amounted to getting the cat into a crate/carrier which was a trick, and watching it bounce around in there like a jumping bean. Not sure how that worked once at the vet, there would be no way in hell I would be near that thing when the door opened. Since that event they'd pay to have a vet visit them for routine care but at some point you still have to transport once in a while. So far the dogs we've had have all loved the RV, they make themselves at home right away and aren't shy about finding the best vantage point or comfy spot. But they're not as self-caring (or quiet) as cats when left alone, so there's a tradeoff there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

We have 3 cats and they cant get along, all females if that has any bearing. All strays
We rescue cats,(people dump them at our farm and we rehabilitate then surrender to the shelter in town) that’s why we kept these five, they get along. All of them had serious issues we took care of so they are truly grateful critters. It’s been the reason we haven’t been able to travel, but we’re going to give it a try! We’re not getting any younger!

Reactions: SMR
I'm impressed they came in of their own volition. I guess the next step is to see what happens when you close the door and start the engine, and it starts moving. My experience with cats is limited but I witnessed conveying my stepkid's cat to the vet once. This amounted to getting the cat into a crate/carrier which was a trick, and watching it bounce around in there like a jumping bean. Not sure how that worked once at the vet, there would be no way in hell I would be near that thing when the door opened. Since that event they'd pay to have a vet visit them for routine care but at some point you still have to transport once in a while. So far the dogs we've had have all loved the RV, they make themselves at home right away and aren't shy about finding the best vantage point or comfy spot. But they're not as self-caring (or quiet) as cats when left alone, so there's a tradeoff there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Our cats travel ok in carriers. None of them like being in there though. Once at the vet, they turn into angels.

They like the overhead bunk, we’ve placed new and old beds there. We sacrificed a drawer in the galley for a litter-box. We’ll see how that works. We plan a sleepover soon, we’re dealing with our creature comforts too. The mattress is a rock, so that’s a priority.
Since you posted, I'm going with the assumption you won't mind input.

I cannot imagine what you are going to have to deal with - aroma-wise - with 5 cats hitting that thing multiple times a day. I also think that the material of that drawer will last about two weeks, then fall apart from damp and decay no matter how well you try to protect it, and that the "aroma" will leach into all the surrounding cabinetry and never go away. Which means you may not ever be able to sell it.

My 0.02...

We plan a sleepover soon, we’re dealing with our creature comforts too. The mattress is a rock, so that’s a priority.
It is so hard to get a mattress combination that works because comfort is such a personal thing.

I ended up with a "mid-range" memory foam mattress with 2 (count 'em 2) quilted mattress toppers.

It's still a little firm but it is comfy on top.

Sounds like the adventure is starting strong. Good luck with the cats. I am definitely not a cat fan but my kid is living in my RV with GF and 4 cats. I don't notice any smell. They have an area carved out near the door with 4 of those, "walk in" litterboxes.

Biggest problem is that his cats get bored and they have used a ton of the RV as scratching posts.

I cannot imagine what you are going to have to deal with - aroma-wise - with 5 cats hitting that thing multiple times a day. I also think that the material of that drawer will last about two weeks, then fall apart from damp and decay no matter how well you try to protect it, and that the "aroma" will leach into all the surrounding cabinetry and never go away. Which means you may not ever be able to sell it.
In your responses you give frank straightforward advice and comments, so I appreciate your 0.02.

This has been on my mind too. A guy posted a link to one of those enclosed litter boxes which we’re also going to try on our “sleepover” in the yard. I want to see which they’ll use. We have 2 Maine Coons who are very mellow but big. I’m not sure they’ll fit in the cabinet thing. We are also playing around with a screen porch enclosure on the awning to add another “room” where a second litter box will be. They usually do their business outside, so this was the thought.

Thanks for the input. It’s better to hear it up front and plan than to be surprised by something stupid we could have avoided.

It is so hard to get a mattress combination that works because comfort is such a personal thing.

I ended up with a "mid-range" memory foam mattress with 2 (count 'em 2) quilted mattress toppers.

It's still a little firm but it is comfy on top.

Sounds like the adventure is starting strong. Good luck with the cats. I am definitely not a cat fan but my kid is living in my RV with GF and 4 cats. I don't notice any smell. They have an area carved out near the door with 4 of those, "walk in" litterboxes.

Biggest problem is that his cats get bored and they have used a ton of the RV as scratching posts.
Thanks for the input.

This mattress is supposed to be king size. It’s 72x75. Weird size but I’m researching toppers. It also folds in half so we can pull in the slideout. Kind of a neat set up really.

I’m looking into walk-in boxes as well. We are tinkering with a screen room enclosure off the awning so (we hope) the cats can go in and out. (Three of them are happy to sleep most of the time) The screen room will have a walk-in box. We have the cats trained on the scratching post thing. We hope that will carry through with this, another to-do. We looked at boats (I did a bit of East Coast sailing in the 80’s) before deciding on the RV. I found this solution for a boat, I’m going to try something similar with our “land ship”: Cat Scratching Posts for Boats - Nomadic Research Labs

The same guy had a unique solution for the litter box, we don’t have the space he did, but that was the thought with bench/cabinet litter box: Building a Feline Outhouse - Nomadic Research Labs

Following discussion about making rope scratch post using cardboard tube that used to have carpet runner or mailing tubes. The tube is slid up and held in place by kitchen table leg,

Jennifer

Purposely buying something for your cat to scratch on so it doesn't tear up your furniture is like purposely buying a separate couch cushion for your dog to chew on so he doesn't trash your sofa.

Impressive that you got not one or two but FIVE cats to voluntarily come onboard. Well done you!
When we leave home on a trip, I do take our kitty, Ellie, to the rig in her backpack carrier. When we are underway, she has free roam of the rig, and the first few trips she serenaded us, loudly, with her ballad of dissatisfaction with the situation. Then, she would quiet down and seem to completely enjoy the rest of the trip. Now, she skips the singing, goes directly to her "safe" zone to travel and seems well adjusted to camp life.
As for odor..well, we only have one little "pooper", but my guess is that you have found the cat litter that has no odor itself, so when kept clean the box doesn't reek at all. My whole issue with getting another kitty was the litter odor. We find "free and clean unscented" by Tidy Cat to resolve that issue, and so our little foster kitten became the mistress of the house, and now queen of the road.
Our box travels in the rear and when camped it sits on the floor in front of driver seat, or passenger seat. Both work.
Best of luck!! At least you know what you are doing.

I had an 18"x30"x24" basement compartment right next to the stairs. I cut a kitty door through the side of the stairs into that compartment to keep the litter box in. By reusing the original carpet over the door nobody has even noticed it is there. I tied into the steps 12v electric to run a soft led light inside and a silent computer fan blowing outside to ventilate the compartment. The best part is I can lock the kitty door and change the litter box outside through the compartment door.

Purposely buying something for your cat to scratch on so it doesn't tear up your furniture is like purposely buying a separate couch cushion for your dog to chew on so he doesn't trash your sofa.
You don’t have cats. Cats require scratching in order to shed their nail layers. You can either give them a place to do it without damage or you will have damage. Scratching is not a bad behavior. It is a required part of being a cat. We use sisal rope scratching posts because it is different from carpeting and furniture. Works very well. The other option is to declaw, but that is barbarous. It isn’t just cutting off the claw; it is amputating the entire end of the digit at the joint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeeRob
Back
Top Bottom